Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 6: the other games. ANZAC round.

Round 6: the other games. ANZAC round.

For the start of ANZAC round, the AFL site has decided to promote tonight's Bulldogs v Giants game, by talking up the "animosity, aggression and dislike" between the clubs and highlighting past acts of biffo. Not really sure if that's the way to go? Let's hope we don't get too many 'sport is war' metaphors. But hey, if both clubs end up with a few suspensions, I don't think that I'd be entirely unhappy.

In one of the Saturday afternoon games, our increasingly injury ridden side, should be too strong for the always injury ridden Suns.

At the same time, Geelong are clear favourites to beat West Coast. Which confuses me a bit? While it is in sleepy hollow and while West Coast has been inconsistent, I think West Coast's best form this season, has been a fair bit better than Geelong's.

The twilight game is Carlton v Brisbane. I'm not entirely sure who to go for here? While I wouldn't mind seeing Carlton's season peter out before it really starts, I also think that Brisbane are more likely to threaten our position in the eight, as the season progresses.

On Saturday night, the Melbourne v Richmond game should give some sort of indication whether Melbourne is the real deal.

The other night game is Fremantle v North Melbourne. North's losing streak is now out to 14 games. Their longest losing streak is 35 games, between 1933 and 1935. I'm starting to think that might be achievable. Although the fact that Fremantle are currently $1.08 favourites, may make some of their fans nervous.

The first Sunday game is Hawthorn v Adelaide. Go the Crows!

The next game is the ANZAC Day at the G game, between Essendon and Collingwood. Though I probably don't need to state who it's between, because since 1995, it's always been between Essendon and Collingwood. I'm not really sure how I feel about that? On the one hand, I can see the point of other clubs, who argue that the AFL's main ANZAC commemoration should be shared around through some sort of roster system. On the other hand, it was largely the brainchild of Kevin Sheedy and it has become something of a tradition.

The round's final game is Port v St Kilda: in which Port are heavy favourites to make St Kilda's troubled start to the season even more troublesome.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I want to see:

* Not just a few suspensions in the GWS v Bulldogs game, but PLENTY of injuries. Like, next time Toby, gouge his goddamn eyes!
    * Carlton fall flat on their face, just because it'll be fun to continue to watch them implode. It'll go richter scale if they're all meek again
    * The Crows to beat Hawthorn, just to make it clear to Hawthorn supporters what a miserable five years they have ahead of them.

Oh the possibilities.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In one of the Saturday afternoon games, our increasingly injury ridden side, should be too strong for the always injury ridden Suns.
    Riddle me this.......which word in the above sentence is wrong?

Veterans List
    No crowd for the Fremantle game due to the Perth lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    No crowd for the Fremantle game due to the Perth lockdown.
    Which is a shame. Although, I don't think that the lack of a crowd, will make it a danger game for Freo. And I wonder how many of their fans, are now raiding the toilet paper aisle, in preparation for a three day lockdown?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    GWS v Bulldogs is dull so far. In that, at quarter time we have a hamstring each in the freezing cold weather. Hopefully the trend keeps up.

And that’s all fine. But we really need some gruesome, season-ending stuff borne of violence that brings with it mammoth suspensions.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    GWS v Bulldogs is dull so far. In that, at quarter time we have a hamstring each in the freezing cold weather. Hopefully the trend keeps up.

And that’s all fine. But we really need some gruesome, season-ending stuff borne of violence that brings with it mammoth suspensions.
    *thumbs up emoji innit*

Best thing about this Bulldogs v GWS game is that the commentators have pointed out a few times the Bulldog favoured free kick count and their throw-like "handpasses" ... wonder what his opinion on the last 2 weeks of 2016 are ...
    Last edited by longmile; 23rd April 2021 at 09:52 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think this game is going nowhere. Can GWS at least start by sliding in below the knees and do some long-term knee and leg damage to Easton Wood. It’s th least he deserves.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Best thing about this Bulldogs v GWS game is that the commentators have pointed out a few times the Bulldog favoured free kick count and their throw-like "handpasses" ... wonder what his opinion on the last 2 weeks of 2016 are ...
    Unbelievable!! I have seen at 4 throws by the Bulldogs and not once has the umpired penalized them. They are the untouchables as far as handballs go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I think this game is going nowhere. Can GWS at least start by sliding in below the knees and do some long-term knee and leg damage to Easton Wood. It’s th least he deserves.
    Yep! A little bit of Karma would be go.

Veterans List
    Free kick count: Dogs 13 GWS 4......history repeats.

Senior Player
    Captaincy suits Toby.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast