Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 12 vs St Kilda

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar

Changes for Round 12 vs St Kilda

Hi boys and girls, here we go!

Out:
    Le Chad: his defensive efforts were really poor; when we turn the ball over, he didn't man up. Was ball watching way far much.

McLean: he must lead up to our midfielders: he can't take pack marks with good defenders hanging off him; leave him in the team, but we need more from him.

In:
    Stephens; yes he did some ordinary things, like dropped marks, but he need the experience, especially against some weaker sides.

Almaty: it now or never; why not play him against St Kilda or Hawthorn.
    doof-doof

Big question is whether Tom Hickey returns this week and how many rucks the Saints are playing.

McLean has had a couple of down games might be good to replace him but could be Hickey that comes in.

If Fox is right to play what happens to Brand?

If Hickey or Naismith is fit:

Out: McLean, Sinclair
    In: McDonald, Hickey/Naismith

If Hickey/Naismith aren't:

Out: Mclean
    In: Amarty

Give Brand another game. However I do prefer Fox, but Brand looked good on the weekend. The other one I'd consider dropping would be Stephens.
    Last edited by longmile; 31st May 2021 at 11:27 AM.

I wondered about dropping Hewett for Fox?

There’s clearly a pecking order in defence and Brand although the tallest / biggest is not playing on the most appropriately sized opponent.

I can see why they left McCartin on McKay, I would have liked to see if Brand would have done any better?

Stephens looked like a deer in the headlights. You can't teach courage.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Who would you drop him for? The similar players in Gulden and Campbell are injured. There's no room for Clarke in our midfield at the moment. I'm not sold on Bell. I'd like to give Taylor another crack at it - while his disposal can be shoddy, he's shown he has zip, isn't afraid and can accumulate possessions - but I understand he's pretty fairly on the outer.

Suspended by the MRP
    Stephens didnt take his chance bring Bell in

Stephens has yet to bring his VFL game to the seniors, but he hasn't had that many chances. It might be worth giving him a hard tagging role on Brad Hill, as it should play into Stephens' strengths and he should be able to match Hill for speed and endurance. Sometimes you have to take a hit to continue a player's development. I think he's finding the physicality of the game at AFL level challenging for his slight frame.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Gee that's a well worded observation. There were a couple of times in close where he looked really timid, not wanting body contact. He dropped that absolute sitter defensive side of the centre circle. Back in the day the opposition supporters would have been yelling out, "footsteps".

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Stephens has yet to bring his VFL game to the seniors, but he hasn't had that many chances. It might be worth giving him a hard tagging role on Brad Hill, as it should play into Stephens' strengths and he should be able to match Hill for speed and endurance. Sometimes you have to take a hit to continue a player's development. I think he's finding the physicality of the game at AFL level challenging for his slight frame.
    Would not want Stephens to play Brad Hill back into form. A tagger on Hill will need to be fast but also have some physicality to his game.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Out:
    Le Chad: his defensive efforts were really poor; when we turn the ball over, he didn't man up. Was ball watching way far much.
    You have to be joking

Stephens did seem intimidated by impending physical contact a couple of times, but he did also seem to try to get stuck in on other occasions to make up for it.

I disagree you can’t teach “courage” / hardness. Lloyd used to be a very soft player once upon a time. He’s certainly found a tougher, more contested side to his game.

I think the best thing for both Stephens and Blakey is to give them an extended run in the ones and twos.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast