Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Round 13: the other games. Thursday, Buckley, Freezy.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I think both teams got players that wanted to return home, that wanted to play where they ended up. Judd was very good at
    Carlton (a Brownlow, 3 B&F, 4 AA). I remember a game at the SCG where he beat us singlehandedly. At his peak he was scary
    good. West Coast have got more years out of Kennedy, but would he have been as good at Carlton had he stayed?
    No one will ever know.
    I don't disagree with how good Judd was, and how often he could terrorise us. But it didn't result in them building a sustained period of success, or any real success. There's more to it of course - like bad recruiting, rolling coaches, etc. But still . . .

Kennedy's recruitment was an essential pillar of WCE's construction of a premiership team. And before his career ends, they may sneak another. It's no disrespect to Judd to say it is no contest.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    They don't put in regularly enough. Yesterday at the SCG proved yet again the gap between 1st and last is very little, and if you are off
    5% or slack off just a tiny bit and the other team doesn't then you will lose. There are challenges being based where they are. I'm sure
    some of them feel a bit out of the footy loop. But Brisbane in the early 2000s proved a vaguely talented bunch with a gale force superiority
    complex and a ruthless coach can go a long way whilst being out of the southern states bubble.
    I agree with the general tone of your post KT but you're underselling the Lions talent a bit there.....they were a champion team full of champions, coached by a champion. Vaguely talented is way off the mark.

- - - Updated - - -

He can really play. The Kennedy-Judd trade back in the 1950s has to be one of the most interesting and fortuitous trades ever.
    Wow, was it that long ago?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I couldnt agree more. Only the melbourne media could spin that the Judd/Kennedy trade was even close to 50/50. For starters, WC got Kennedy for his whole career, rather than the tail end of Judds career, and they still had Judd when they won in 2006, so he delivered twice. Carlton got screwed badly.
    So did we.....by those drug addled cheats.

If the trade hadn’t happened would it have changed the fortunes of the two clubs? I don’t think significantly so

I think both teams got players that wanted to return home, that wanted to play where they ended up. Judd was very good at
    Carlton (a Brownlow, 3 B&F, 4 AA). I remember a game at the SCG where he beat us singlehandedly. At his peak he was scary
    good. West Coast have got more years out of Kennedy, but would he have been as good at Carlton had he stayed?
    No one will ever know.
    Despite not winning brownlows, key forwards are far more valuable than midfielders for winning premierships and stuff like that.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    If the trade hadn’t happened would it have changed the fortunes of the two clubs? I don’t think significantly so
    I think with trades it's always tempting for footy followers to discuss who is the "winner" of the trade. I remember when the Judd-Kennedy
    trade occurred and for a number of years after the consensus was that Carlton were the "winner" of that trade. The fact that Kennedy was a
    top 10 draft pick himself meant that he wasn't exactly a bag of chips as many referred to him at the time. But he did struggle at Carlton and
    spent a lot of time there in the twos and ultimately was keen to return to WA. Likewise Judd was keen to move back to Melbourne.
    What gets forgotten sometimes in discussions of trades is what the players themselves actually want and that goes a long way in
    influencing what trades can actually occur in the first place. Sometimes a player can "win" in a trade even if the club they go to is not
    seen in the same light. All that said, they are both champs and I wish they both had played for us.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Despite not winning brownlows, key forwards are far more valuable than midfielders for winning premierships and stuff like that.
    I think the jury is still out on that one and won't be returning to the courtroom for quite a while. One could argue that key forwards
    can't get the ball unless a midfielder kicks it to them. I think the RWO mandated hatred of Carlton is colouring some of the
    discussion of the Judd-Kennedy trade and that is okay I guess.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345