Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 19: the other games. Reshuffle Round.

Round 19: the other games. Reshuffle Round.

The AFL has responded to the covid scheduling difficulties, by swapping a few round 20 games into round 19. Which sort of makes sense now, but if the various lockdowns and restrictions don't lift soon, then that might make less sense in the future? You probably wouldn't want them to continue reshuffling fixtures until round 23, only to hear a cry of anguish from AFL headquarters, followed by the announcement, that everyone playing finals now gets two bye weeks, instead of one. Hopefully, things work out.

Anyway, the round starts with Collingwood playing away to Port at, hmm, Marvel. Hopefully they can take advantage of that and do us a favour by beating Port, but I can't really see it happening.

The first Saturday game is Carlton v North. With the withdrawal of Harry McKay, it seems that this game has been robbed of its major drawcard, that of twins Ben and Harry playing on each other. The sledging between the two was quite entertaining, but I think that the points went to Ben, who when asked if he'll be playing on Harry, replied, "Well, I normally take the best forward. So, I'll probably be on Levi". Strangely, if Carlton win this, they're still a reasonable chance of making the eight: so, go North.

The next game is one of those that have been brought forward from round 20; Brisbane v Gold Coast. It would be nice if Gold Coast assisted us in our mission to get past Brisbane. And despite the odds being offered, there must be a reasonable chance of that: Brisbane have lost their last two, while Gold Coast have had wins against Richmond and GWS, and a narrow loss against the Bulldogs.

Next up is West Coast v St Kilda. West Coast are strong favourites, despite St Kilda having clearly the better recent form. Go figure. Maybe people still think they're almost unbeatable in front of their rabid home crowd?

The first night game should be the match of the round, Melbourne v Bulldogs. Well, it should have been the match of round 20, but hey. It would seem to be better for us, if the Demons beat the Chuckers. As that would give us some sort of chance of running them down. Plus, I'm more or less of the opinion, that if we don't win the premiership, then it would be nice if Melbourne broke their long drought.

The other Saturday night game is Adelaide hosting Hawthorn at, hmm, Marvel. I wouldn't mind someone doing a survey, to see what the fans of these clubs would prefer, a win here, or pick number 2.

We kick off Sunday with our match against Fremantle. Go the Swans!!

Next up is another, will the underdog does us a favour game, Geelong v Richmond. I guess the big question here, is how Richmond will cope without Dusty? Will they fall in a heap? Or will their many other talented players, show that they have the skills and the game plan to still beat anyone?

The final game is a classic 8 point game, Essendon v GWS. I just wish I cared.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Must say I enjoy these "other game" threads so thanks for starting them each week Deja!

Watching Swans games for me is highly stressful because I care so much about the outcome.

So watching - and commenting on - non Swans games is enjoyable because, even though I usually have a preference for one team over another, I don't really care about the result and can just enjoy the game for what it is.

Would prefer Port over Pies.
    Can both Carlton and North lose?
    Prefer Gold Coast over Brisbane.
    Prefer Eagles over Saints.
    Prefer Adelaide over Hawthorn.
    Prefer Geelong over Tigers.
    Prefer GWS over Essendon.

The only non Swans game where I'm vitally interested in the result is Demons/Fairypuppies. Come on Dees!!

And of course, go you mighty Cygnets!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Must say I enjoy these "other game" threads so thanks for starting them each week Deja!

Watching Swans games for me is highly stressful because I care so much about the outcome.

So watching - and commenting on - non Swans games is enjoyable because, even though I usually have a preference for one team over another, I don't really care about the result and can just enjoy the game for what it is.

Would prefer Port over Pies.
    Can both Carlton and North lose?
    Prefer Gold Coast over Brisbane.
    Prefer Eagles over Saints.
    Prefer Adelaide over Hawthorn.
    Prefer Geelong over Tigers.
    Prefer GWS over Essendon.

The only non Swans game where I'm vitally interested in the result is Demons/Fairypuppies. Come on Dees!!

And of course, go you mighty Cygnets!!
    Ta.
    I suppose both Carlton and North can lose? North win the game, but that results in them losing the number one pick.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Collingwood choosing Mason Cox as their sub brings back memories of Mark Seaby as our first ever sub

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Collingwood choosing Mason Cox as their sub brings back memories of Mark Seaby as our first ever sub
    That Seaby blunder forever etched in my memory. What were the Pies thinking? Not like they're going the tank as they've already traded out their first and second picks

A real tank battle (not a Kursk type tank battle) looming at the bottom. If Hawks win they jump two spots and from pick 2 to pick 4 (to pick 6 after Daicos and Darcy go really early) so they probably don't want to beat the Cows who also don't want to win as they want to go lower and lower to get pick 1 to snare local gun Jason Horne.

Norf beating Carton would assist the Cows as that would separate them by just two points, if the Hawks win. Norf and Cows play each other in the run home, whenever and where ever that may be, Covid outbreaks willing.

An interesting round and good watching during lockdown.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    At 3/4 Norf really have the jump on Carlton, which I’m quite enjoying because anything that extends the misery for Blues fans and makes them realise just how much they overrated their list going into the season and how far they are from a flag is joyous.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Gold coast are opening up a top 4 spot for us. Go suns

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    For those of us who hold a grudge against Carlton for their vulture impersonation when our club was on its knees in the 90s, watching their pathetic performance against North this afternoon was a delight. With a small chance of still making finals, Carlton was smashed by the team on the bottom of the ladder and showed that it stands for nothing and has a heart the size of a pea.

Compare the Blues performance today with how our club played and then reacted to its great come from behind win last week!

Mighty Bloods! Spineless Blues!

For those of us who hold a grudge against Carlton for their vulture impersonation when our club was on its knees in the 90s, watching their pathetic performance against North this afternoon was a delight. With a small chance of still making finals, Carlton was smashed by the team on the bottom of the ladder and showed that it stands for nothing and has a heart the size of a pea.

Compare the Blues performance today with how our club played and then reacted to its great come from behind win last week!

The John Elliot legacy lives on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Gold coast are opening up a top 4 spot for us. Go suns
    Looking good so far. Long way to go, though.

Senior Player

Goodbye Teague. Hello Clarkson?

Senior Player
    Gold Coast leading 60 to 27 at half time. If GC hold on and we beat Freo we move to 5th, a game and percentage behind Port who would then play a fired up GC, and the Bulldogs in round 23.

Senior Player
    GC have decided they don't want to win :/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast