Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Changes to R21 Against St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    By the way, I have no idea where to put this, but it’s great for the players and something must have been in my eye when I watched it, I promise.

https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/stat...054077440?s=21
    Awww… cute. & good to see George catch up with someone.

Given we have been getting killed out of the centre square, playing Parker more forward isn’t the worst idea.

Mills, Heeney and a fit Warner would be exciting to watch. JPK, Parker and Hewett to also rotate through there.

Veteran Site Admin
    I reckon our midfield - even with all four of Parker, JPK, Mills and Hewett in and amongst things - works well in general play, once the traffic gets heavy. They just need to make sure there are release players on the outside with speed and penetrating kicking skills waiting to receive.

It's just at centre bounces where we look a bit exposed with those four.

JPK has never been quick, but he seems to have found an extra gear this year in terms of sheer ground coverage. Maybe it's a slightly changed role, with him deliberately spending a little less time in the clinches, but he's running relentlessly from one end to the other, often burning off whichever (also big and slow) opponent is assigned to him. I reckon this evolution in his game, and his willingness to adapt to no longer being the Main Man In The Midfield, played a bit part in him winning another contract for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree that he's not the most talented player on our list, but he is quite versatile and doesn't have any glaring weaknesses. He runs well, marks and kicks well and we know he's a good tackler. He doesn't sky away from the physical contest, even though he's only 21. He played a fair amount in the midfield when in the ressies and regularly got over 20 possession and 10+ tackles. I think he could become a good midfield/wing tagger.

On a team with lots of offensive weapons, it's important to have some players willing to stick to the role assigned to them and do it well. There has to be some players focused on stopping the other side.
    Is that why losing George Hewett may not be as bad given how well wicks went in the middle in the readies? We already have Wicks and RB who can do the role. Albeit both very junior and not as battle hardened.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Extending JPK for another year is interesting in that he brings a stability to to playing group that is priceless. I think the group has just natured the

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Parker, JPK, Mills and Hewett

It's just at centre bounces where we look a bit exposed with those four.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Is that why losing George Hewett may not be as bad given how well wicks went in the middle in the readies? We already have Wicks and RB who can do the role. Albeit both very junior and not as battle hardened.
    As Liz points out, our best midfielders are getting exposed with the spacing at centre bounces. There was a phase that went for the big bodied midfielders, like Bont and Cripps, but since there's been a progression toward quicker midfielders at the centre bounces, and our guys can't keep up with them. We are transitioning to moving Warner and Rowbottom to become regulars at the centre square stoppages, but it will take some movement from our current group.

That's the main reason I sea Hewett moving on, not because he's done anything wrong, but simply to make way for speedier types in the middle. Liz has also noted the JPK is popping on the outside, usually in space. His game time is down and he looks lively late in games due to the lighter work load.

The personnel is there at the club, but there will be a fair bit more experimentation going on to find the best spots for our talented players.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Extending JPK for another year is interesting in that he brings a stability to to playing group that is priceless. I think the group has just natured the
    The media is still describing us as "the Young Swans" but the reality is that we've been older and more experienced than most of our opposition in recent weeks. We still have a reasonably young squad, but with the likes of Campbell, Warner, McDonald, Rowbottom, Amartey, McLean not currently in the team, we have plenty of experience out there. I don't think the club would keep JPK for an extra year just for his experience, particularly given we seem to have a cap squeeze. They'll keep him because he's a wonderful player and still has plenty to offer, even if not in such a central role as he has played over the last decade or more.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The media is still describing us as "the Young Swans" but the reality is that we've been older and more experienced than most of our opposition in recent weeks. We still have a reasonably young squad, but with the likes of Campbell, Warner, McDonald, Rowbottom, Amartey, McLean not currently in the team, we have plenty of experience out there. I don't think the club would keep JPK for an extra year just for his experience, particularly given we seem to have a cap squeeze. They'll keep him because he's a wonderful player and still has plenty to offer, even if not in such a central role as he has played over the last decade or more.
    He is exactly that; a wonderful player and a calm head

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    You’re right about how our age profile has subtly shifted over the course of the year, but we’re still a fairly young side. Hayward 22, wicks 21, JMac 20, McCartin 21, Gulden 19, Blakey 21, Stephens 20. That’s a fairly young group.

Where we are really thriving is the fit, firing and top of their games 24-28 group. Mills, Heeney, Papley, Dawson, Parker, Lloyd, Cunningham, even Hewett. You could argue the first seven are playing their peak footy, and it’s not like George is doing too badly.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Game day thread ?
    Please .

Thanks A

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910