Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 21: the other games. Zombies still walk amongst us.

Round 21: the other games. Zombies still walk amongst us.

One thing that I'm finding a little bit strange at the moment, is the number of teams that are still a realistic chance of making the eight. Even if they're currently on a record of 8 wins and 11 losses, and for teams like St Kilda and Carlton, many pundits, including me, had pronounced them dead ages ago. Which was probably the sensible thing to do, since for most seasons of the 18 team comp, you usually need a record of 12/10 to get a finals spot, and sometimes, even that isn't enough. But this year, it's quite possible that a 10/12 team will sneak into the last finals spot. So, the zombies still walk amongst us.

The round starts tonight with Geelong hosting GWS. (Well, I assume that's still the case, but these days, you never really know). Sitting on 8 wins and a draw, you'd think that would be a must win game for GWS, but I doubt if that's really the case. Still, it would be nice if they won, as it'd increase our rough chance of catching Geelong.

The first Saturday match is Carlton v Gold Coast. Lately, bad Gold Coast have re-emerged, so there's every chance that Carlton will have a percentage boosting win, and bizarrely, they might even be in the eight by round's end. But it's okay, as their clash with Port next round, should kick them straight back out again.

Next up is Richmond and North. You could probably make the case that North has better recent form. Which I don't think anyone would have predicted at the start of the season.

The two night games are Us v St Kilda and the Adelaide showdown. I can't really see Adelaide doing us a favour by beating Port, but I've every confidence that we'll kill of the Saints for good.

The first Sunday game is Collingwood v Hawthorn. Pass.

That's followed by The Bulldogs and Essendon. I doubt if we can catch the chuckers, so perhaps it would be nice if they put the injectors into further difficulty? Then again: 2016.

The final Sunday game is Brisbane taking on the 9/10 and currently eighth, Fremantle. I don't dislike Fremantle, so it would probably be a good thing, if they were to win this and strengthen their finals chances.

We then have a Monday night match in Perth, between West Coast and Melbourne. It would be useful, if the badly out of form West Coast could beat the vulnerable Melbourne, to give us a chance of catching Melbourne. On the other hand, with their last two games against Fremantle and Brisbane, there's a reasonable chance that a loss here could see West Coast collapsing in a heap and missing the finals. Which does have a certain appeal.

Veterans List
    Lovef the Zombie reference and yes you're correct, 12 wins and good % is almost always needed, sometimes 13 wins needed so to get the possibility of only 10 or 11 getting you in is indeed twilight stuff.

We just need to make sure we don't have a GC or Hawks type relapse over the last three rounds, % boosters most welcome as well. Just need another result or two to go our way then.

Saints tomorrow need to be put to the sword, was told they have 17 players on their list from other clubs! We have only 6 or 7 I reckon

Senior Player
    Would love some percentage boosters, but teams seem to have adapted defensively to the new man on the mark rules and our style of play since we got our 90+ wins vs earlier this season vs Geelong and WC.

Think this is a danger game for us, and we might be happy escaping with a narrow win in the end. Please prove me wrong Swannies!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Lovef the Zombie reference and yes you're correct, 12 wins and good % is almost always needed, sometimes 13 wins needed so to get the possibility of only 10 or 11 getting you in is indeed twilight stuff.

We just need to make sure we don't have a GC or Hawks type relapse over the last three rounds, % boosters most welcome as well. Just need another result or two to go our way then.

Saints tomorrow need to be put to the sword, was told they have 17 players on their list from other clubs! We have only 6 or 7 I reckon
    And while I don't want to put the mock on too much, I do think that the teams that manage to jag 7th and 8th, will in all likelihood, just be playing a losing elimination final. It's hard enough to see Brisbane regrouping enough to be a genuine premiership threat, let alone, West Coast, GWS or St Kilda.

Senior Player
    Damn. Brits have passed us in the medals tally. We both have 17 gold, but they have more silver than us. So we are now 5th. Some place
    called ROC just behind us with 16 gold. I don't think they can be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Damn. Brits have passed us in the medals tally. We both have 17 gold, but they have more silver than us. So we are now 5th. Some place
    called ROC just behind us with 16 gold. I don't think they can be trusted.
    And I'm not sure where our next gold is going to come from?? Maybe Hannah Green blitzing the final round in the golf and making up five strokes on the world number one? Something unexpected in athletics, kayaking or cycling? Although, to still be in front of not-Russia is an achievement.

Veterans List
    I think the match tonight could get ugly with all the players that GWS have out.

I was happy when I saw Stevic umpiring this game. But when I checked our match we have Razor (again!) and Foot. Bugger!

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Geez Toby Green is a blight on the game.
    Such a grub, absolutely no doubt that was an intentional elbow

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And I'm not sure where our next gold is going to come from?? Maybe Hannah Green blitzing the final round in the golf and making up five strokes on the world number one? Something unexpected in athletics, kayaking or cycling? Although, to still be in front of not-Russia is an achievement.
    Green can do it but it will be tough. Lydia Ko might get in the way as well. BTW, great title for the thread. These 8th to 12th teams, they are the
    walking dead. The last one standing will be summarily executed in the first week of the finals,

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I think the match tonight could get ugly with all the players that GWS have out.

I was happy when I saw Stevic umpiring this game. But when I checked our match we have Razor (again!) and Foot. Bugger!
    I'm always happy when we don't get Stevic. Generally, I think Chamberlain does a pretty good job. Which still leaves me feeling a bit suspicious, about his dire performance in the Hawthorn game. But hey, our team also dished up a dire performance in the Hawthorn game.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    May Gold Coast beat Carlton, because that’d be truly hysterical.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Don't want to see Richmond, Carlton, St.Kilda or Essendon sneak into the 8 so a Giants win tonight would help that!

(Looking a possibility at the moment! )

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast