Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blakey out for the season

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Did we?
    Well.....obviously not all of us! Are you seriously suggesting we were a real chance for the flag....this year?

Our improvement this year has been huge and on our day we can beat anyone but we are also inconsistent and prone to concentration lapse's and letting teams get a run of scores, especially in recent weeks. IMO, we're just not quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    No Lizard no Swans?

Are we really that much of a one reptile side?
    I don’t think that what we’re saying …but it’s a massive blow …he does inspire with his work ethic , bravery let alone his skill set ..
    He’s the type of inspirational player that you look for when something needs to happen in a pressure match where momentum needs to be reversed aka a finals match
    Just a big blow ..some like Leigh Montana who I rate as a football analyst also mention that it’s a huge blow so it’s not ‘no Blakey no Swans’ but nevertheless a major blow.
    But we do have some handy replacements and we can swing players around to cover ..I just feel like it changes the positional balance of our team.
    I’ve liked Dawson further forward as a result of Blakey down back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Well.....obviously not all of us! Are you seriously suggesting we were a real chance for the flag....this year?

Our improvement this year has been huge and on our day we can beat anyone but we are also inconsistent and prone to concentration lapse's and letting teams get a run of scores, especially in recent weeks. IMO, we're just not quite there yet.
    I’m hoping we go far…one week at a time I guess

I feel that we don't have another player that brings the Kennelly-esque kamikaze run out of defence that the Lizard does. And I was calling for it to be part of our game this year. We've now got a large collection of players that can kick through a defence, but only Blakey that can make things happen like he does with ball in hand.

He's definitely a huge loss - which in itself is hard to believe after the way he started the year.

But I'm not sure it's the end of our chances this year just yet. If we can get past GW$ then I reckon we can beat any of the top 4 on our day. Whether we can do it three weeks in a row is anyone's guess, but the within finals bye will favour a team outside the top-4.

Veterans List
    Who is the bigger loss, Blakey for us or Stewart for the Cats?

Every contender is likely to be missing a key player or two in the run to the GF, we may still have the shortest injury list.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of a flag, just need the umpires on board with us, like they were for the Fairypups in 2016

He's definitely a huge loss - which in itself is hard to believe after the way he started the year.
    It's a shame that Blakey improved so much since his return to the side. If he could have continued his poor form, then it wouldn't have been such a big loss.

He was poor at the start of the year when we were on fire, so I think we can play well without him.

Blakey is developing into a huge weapon for us so he is a big loss. Let's hope that he can come back fully fit and firing for the starts of the 2022 season. A lot of my friends who don't follow the Swans love the way the Lizard plays.

We now have to move on as there are finals to be won. We are far from a one-player team. I remember when we beat the Hawks in a Final in 1996 with Plugger out due to injury. Back then we were heavily reliant on him yet the rest of the team lifted in his absence to pull off an amazing victory. I recall Mooney having a night out and Cresswell kicking the winning goal. Let's do it for the Lizard!

I feel that we don't have another player that brings the Kennelly-esque kamikaze run out of defence that the Lizard does. And I was calling for it to be part of our game this year. We've now got a large collection of players that can kick through a defence, but only Blakey that can make things happen like he does with ball in hand.
    I think McInerney can play the role of creating explosive run from defence - it just depends whether he is given that role, with the license to run through the middle and take on the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting we were a real chance for the flag....this year?
    Of course we are a real chance (for whatever that means). We might get knocked out in one go or we might go on a run and win the whole damn thing. Either way, you have to be in it to win and we are certainly going to be in it.

The whole “making up the numbers” mentality is what sets teams up to lose in the finals. I hope the club doesn’t have that view. Eade used to say this a bit - and it really gave me the @@@@s.

As well as his run and carry, Lizard was starting to show promise as an intercept mark and also lending support to our talls by spoiling at the contest. Like for like replacement would be Dawson, albeit less run and carry but better decision making with his kicking. We are strong in midfield options and can afford to shift Dawson back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Blakey is developing into a huge weapon for us so he is a big loss. Let's hope that he can come back fully fit and firing for the starts of the 2022 season. A lot of my friends who don't follow the Swans love the way the Lizard plays.

We now have to move on as there are finals to be won. We are far from a one-player team. I remember when we beat the Hawks in a Final in 1996 with Plugger out due to injury. Back then we were heavily reliant on him yet the rest of the team lifted in his absence to pull off an amazing victory. I recall Mooney having a night out and Cresswell kicking the winning goal. Let's do it for the Lizard!
    That was a terrific game. I remember it well. Craig O’Brien also played a great game in Lockett’s absence.

So glad that the coaching staff found Blakey a position to which he excelled. Very talented player.

I’m hoping that in 2022 he returns healthy and that the coaching staff unleash the three headed defensive rebounding monster of J-Mac, Campbell and Blakey.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast