Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals Week 1; the other games. Tasmania, home of football!

Hey everyone, play nicely on here.

I'm a relative newcomer to AFL, a little under 20 years. Think I had only the final year of Rocket and then Roos, premierships and good times. So I haven't gone through the history to hate clubs like Carlton etc. And I never suffered the dark times as a Swans supporter.

It's weird. I've followed football (you might call it soccer) since I was 4 and I have the same tribal instincts and hatreds for other teams as I see here on RWO. But having come to AFL much older, I find it harder to hate another club. If anything I respect clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong etc.

Having said that I do have a very strong dislike thing for certain coaches and players: Dangerwood (both of them), Scotts (ditto), Eddie (obvs), I'm sure there are others.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Is there another AFL team you don’t mind?

You don’t like the following:

-Hawks
    -Carlton
    -Bulldogs
    -Essendon
    -West Coast
    -Collingwood

Anyone else I’ve missed in the don’t like column?
    GWS.

Yes, they need to be on any list. A plastic creation. A pox on the game.

Though their 2019 GF performance was the comedy highlight of the decade. I’ll grant them that. I’ve never laughed so hard, both at them, and all the bandwagon wankers who jumped on board for the week. They should all have been forced to watch a replay, matchsticks in the eyelids, Clockwork Orange style.

P.S: I’m on the wines, but would post that sober, stoned, hallucinating, drunk, you name it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Hey everyone, play nicely on here.

I'm a relative newcomer to AFL, a little under 20 years. Think I had only the final year of Rocket and then Roos, premierships and good times. So I haven't gone through the history to hate clubs like Carlton etc. And I never suffered the dark times as a Swans supporter.

It's weird. I've followed football (you might call it soccer) since I was 4 and I have the same tribal instincts and hatreds for other teams as I see here on RWO. But having come to AFL much older, I find it harder to hate another club. If anything I respect clubs like Hawthorn, Geelong etc.

Having said that I do have a very strong dislike thing for certain coaches and players: Dangerwood (both of them), Scotts (ditto), Eddie (obvs), I'm sure there are others.
    I doubt if many of us are particularly serious about hatred for other clubs. Maybe there's the odd grudge that we hold, and the moments of schadenfreude. But at the ground or going to and from the ground, I will happily chat away to any opposition fans, if they happen to be sitting next to me. I just tend to think: same religion, slightly different interpretation.
    Possibly not a great analogy?

When you say that you were originally soccer and came late to AFL, does that mean that you're from Britain? Because I have the belief, that the physical separation of fans at British soccer grounds, would only exacerbate the rivalry, into something beyond friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    GWS.

Yes, they need to be on any list. A plastic creation. A pox on the game.

Though their 2019 GF performance was the comedy highlight of the decade. I’ll grant them that. I’ve never laughed so hard, both at them, and all the bandwagon wankers who jumped on board for the week. They should all have been forced to watch a replay, matchsticks in the eyelids, Clockwork Orange style.

P.S: I’m on the wines, but would post that sober, stoned, hallucinating, drunk, you name it.
    See I have a grudging respect for GW$, particularly when compared to the debacle at the other expansion club. i think they stand for something. Shame about the coach really. And Cogs - after watching the Netflix doco.

But of course, I'm also late to the game, so perhaps the born and bred supporters from the game's heartland, feel the rivalries more intensely than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I doubt if many of us are particularly serious about hatred for other clubs. Maybe there's the odd grudge that we hold, and the moments of schadenfreude. But at the ground or going to and from the ground, I will happily chat away to any opposition fans, if they happen to be sitting next to me. I just tend to think: same religion, slightly different interpretation.
    Possibly not a great analogy?

When you say that you were originally soccer and came late to AFL, does that mean that you're from Britain? Because I have the belief, that the physical separation of fans at British soccer grounds, would only exacerbate the rivalry, into something beyond friendly.
    Yes, England, but rarely went to games as there was no local first division | premiership team. Plus for a while there (a couple of decades) it got really dangerous and unpleasant. The separation of the fans was to stop them killing each other. It still amazes me how AFL and NRL fans mingle happily without significant issues.

Are you guys happy to sign off on this statement.

If we don’t win the cup, it has to be the Demons?

Ps - Scotches are going well.

Bit of a choker Hawkins

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Didn't BT get taken to hospital yesterday. Glad to hear RB's uncle is OK

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait to see Scott's miserable face when geriatric Geelong lose. Wow, I am a hater

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Yes, England, but rarely went to games as there was no local first division | premiership team. Plus for a while there (a couple of decades) it got really dangerous and unpleasant. The separation of the fans was to stop them killing each other. It still amazes me how AFL and NRL fans mingle happily without significant issues.
    Yes, but I would argue (without much knowledge of English football and social history) that the caging off of fans, to keep them away from each other, would do two main things. It would reinforce the concept that those people are your enemy and that you have such limited self control, that you need to be kept away from them. But now that the football has started, it's probably not the time for a sociological discourse.

First goal Motlop. Go Port.

#freekickcats tonight. Some silly decisions by the umps. I hope Port get up.

Allir strong.

Allir is having a blinder. Go port.
    Best result for us is a port win

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast