Page 77 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans v Giants Elimination Final 2021

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    The youth and some oldies sometimes use:

"nuffink" - eg: I saw nuffink on sale at Aldi"
    "sumfink" - eg " I saw sumfink ya wanned"
    "Aksk" - eg " Didya aksk tha question"

I am putting the drop in language to laziness, from being glued to electronic devices and not taking the time or care to continue to learn.
    Last edited by sprite; 1st September 2021 at 03:38 PM.
    sprite

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Less than a week after the footy finishes and youse all lost the plot over grammar on the internet
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    One of the things I like about this conglomeration of people is the occasional dipping into language.

(said politely) it sets off my blader.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    One of the things I like about this conglomeration of people is the occasional dipping into language.

(said politely) it sets off my blader.
    You play Beyblades?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Less than a week after the footy finishes and youse all lost the plot over grammar on the internet
    On ya RogueSwan- I was just waiting for that! One of my pet hates, if
    “ nothink” else!

Seriously though, can we please get back on topic?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

I am sure there is a forum out there somewhere on the world wide web that you can rant and rave about the death of the english language, where more than a minority of posters will actually care.

If you must be pedantic, at least do it completely in cheek like I did yesterday with Barry.

Sure I should have thought about it. But guess what - I didn't. Because, funnily enough, the main reason I post on RWO is to talk about football, not to seek out perfection in the use of the english language.

And while you may not like the use of the term 'should of', rightly or wrongly, it is commonly used and has a meaning that is well understood. Just one of many examples of how the english language continues to evolve over time.
    But it's wrong, wrong, wrong.....get it right people! It one of my pet peeves as well. I'm with Nolie!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The Giants will still beat The Cats without Toby ..
    People might be thinking this as a way of saying that we would have beaten the Cats as well.....I think we could have but I don't think the Giants will. I think the Cats will scratch their eyes out and I hope so too.

I’ve never heard of any footballer pronounce the word
    Camaraderie
    Correctly

Most say

Comraderee

Where are the female sheep?

Veterans List
    Just another suggestion to posters....get your quoting right. Some quotes are being attributed to the wrong poster.....because one poster gets the quoting wrong then subsequent posts quoting the wrongly quoted post attribute the new quote to the wrong poster. Complicated but easy to fix.....just quote correctly.

Get it right people!

- - - Updated - - -

It's important to talk proper!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Quoting yourself now!

I wonder how many threads have been usurped by a philosophical discussion about the nature of language. You don't get this sort of action on BigFooty
    Thanks all for lightening up this conversation. I'll admit the events of the AFL and the lockdown in Sydney got me down for a few days.

A visit to bigfooty makes it all the more clearer why things like the Goodes booing take place. I left it long, long ago. You could tell it was mentally damaging. When the poster from North topped himself a few years ago, it just showed how dangerous a place it was. It should come with a health warning.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I don't think I have actually heard anyone ever say 'nothingk' - I must not be hanging out in the correct crowd to hear such comments
    I freaked out when I heard Dr Kerry Chant say it during one of the daily briefings a week or so ago (I don't watch them everyday, so it might be a regular occurrence).

I have a more pacific favourite thing - malapropisms. Particularly that one.