Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 Round 1 2022

Veterans List
    Whatever, it's going to be a real competition for a spot.

What is obvious is that it is really hard to pick a best 23. Within this thread, there is talk of seriously talented players like Campbell, Rowbottom, Stephens, Wicks, and even JPK missing out on selection. Also consider that the team I picked, there are 16 players aged 25 years or younger.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think it's unlikely that any of our new draftees will debut R1 - with the possible exception of Paddy McCartin once he gets on our list.
    Sure Paddy was the #1 draft pick seven years ago, but the Swans have had a lot of opportunities to add Paddy to their list, but so far have repeatedly (and maybe pointedly) failed to do so.

Perhaps his inclusion in the Swans VFL squad may need to be viewed as just that - nothing more, nothing less.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

SYDNEY SWANS 2022 - if Paddy and Anderson join. For me Melican and Fox will be in the defensive line depending on matchups as they both bring something important depending on who we are playing.

I suspect we will give McDonald a shot first and see how long he can maintain Snr standard.

B - Fox Rampe Cunningham
    HB - Lloyd McCartin Blakey
    C - Florent Heeney McInerny
    HF - Wicks Franklin Gulden
    F - Papley McDonald Hayward
    Foll - Hickey Parker Mills

Interchange
    19. Warner Chad
    20. Campbell
    21. Ladhams
    22. Kennedy

B - Oconnor, Reid, Melican
    HB - Gould, Paddy, Oriordan
    C - Stephens, Rowbottom, WarnerJnr
    HF - Bell, Amartey, Rankin
    F - Ronke, McClean, Sheather
    Foll - Sinkers, Gus, Roberts
    Bench - McAndrew, Taylor, Clarke, Anderson

Long term injury list: Naismith

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Sure Paddy was the #1 draft pick seven years ago, but the Swans have had a lot of opportunities to add Paddy to their list, but so far have repeatedly (and maybe pointedly) failed to do so.

Perhaps his inclusion in the Swans VFL squad may need to be viewed as just that - nothing more, nothing less.
    We will need Paddy in the backline as we are short against monster forwards. Fox is not strong enough, unlike Ramps, to compete with them. Was thinking that Robbie could be good cover at HB, where first choice would be Blakey and Lloyd, and he and COR in case of injury. He is athletic, has good disposal and a great tank, a good mark- a kinda “replacement” for Dawso. What do you think?

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    We will need Paddy in the backline as we are short against monster forwards. Fox is not strong enough, unlike Ramps, to compete with them. Was thinking that Robbie could be good cover at HB, where first choice would be Blakey and Lloyd, and he and COR in case of injury. He is athletic, has good disposal and a great tank, a good mark- a kinda “replacement” for Dawso. What do you think?
    It would seem very unlikely to me that Paddy would be in the seniors early in the season. He hasn't played a senior game since R16 2018 and very little footy of any kind since then. Also very little meaningful experience as a key defender. Very big ask but happy to be proven wrong as I think key defender is our biggest weakness.

Me? Two years ago I said the most important player on the list was Sam Naismith, and the Swans year would depend on his fitness or otherwise. As we look towards 2022, I'm trying not to feel the same about Lewis Melican. But with the departure of Brand, the big defender cupbord is looking extremely bare. If he falls over yet again, we will be depending on someone to play well out of their weight division and support McCartin junior. Rampe's done it for years, but like Leo, Dennis and Francis before him - the toll on the bodies of undersized key position players can be hefty.
    As I said the Swans none selection of McCartinn senior is suggestive.

Me? Two years ago I said the most important player on the list was Sam Naismith, and the Swans year would depend on his fitness or otherwise. As we look towards 2022, I'm trying not to feel the same about Lewis Melican. But with the departure of Brand, the big defender cupbord is looking extremely bare. If he falls over yet again, we will be depending on someone to play well out of their weight division and support McCartin junior. Rampe's done it for years, but like Leo, Dennis and Francis before him - the toll on the bodies of undersized key position players can be hefty.
    As I said the Swans none selection of McCartinn senior is suggestive.
    Two things. Firstly, if you think Melican is our lynchpin then surely Tom McCartin is more-so. Secondly, McCartin senior was not selected yet because he couldn't be. He didn't nominate for the draft so couldn't be picked up by any other team. He will be picked up in the supplementary period.

We are still vulnerable in the key defensive positions but for many games last year we played only two key defenders with T McCartin and Rampe. We played the last game with Melican as well. By my reckoning, we will have a depth chart of key defenders that looks something like this: T McCartin, Rampe, Melican, P McCartin, Fox, Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Two things. Firstly, if you think Melican is our lynchpin then surely Tom McCartin is more-so. Secondly, McCartin senior was not selected yet because he couldn't be. He didn't nominate for the draft so couldn't be picked up by any other team. He will be picked up in the supplementary period.

We are still vulnerable in the key defensive positions but for many games last year we played only two key defenders with T McCartin and Rampe. We played the last game with Melican as well. By my reckoning, we will have a depth chart of key defenders that looks something like this: T McCartin, Rampe, Melican, P McCartin, Fox, Reid.
    Sammy was retained for cover down back(when fit) I suspect. Then we have Gould and BOC, and these lads surely will get some games and hopefully become valuable players.

Sammy was retained for cover down back(when fit) I suspect. Then we have Gould and BOC, and these lads surely will get some games and hopefully become valuable players.
    I hope so too, I can't see their being space up forward, with Buddy, Logan and Ladhams, plus Hayward and Heeney all as marking targets. I can't see Gould taking a monster, and have no opinion on BOC.

I hope so too, I can't see their being space up forward, with Buddy, Logan and Ladhams, plus Hayward and Heeney all as marking targets. I can't see Gould taking a monster, and have no opinion on BOC.
    BOC and Gould to be given some games but it would be unfair to test them against the monsters. So where would we play them ? HB seems the only position- are they strong enough or could they be tried at FB? I guess it will depend on their form in the VFL and injuries. I think if they can show something in 2022 then they will be extended, otherwise…

The same will apply to Paddy….. assuming we list him, which most of us agree we should. By the way, why isn’t our list announced on our website? It had to be lodged yesterday, if I recall correctly.

Seeing the footage of Gould launching it from 60 fills me with hope he might fill Dawson's role off HB / pushing up onto a wing. He's very lean so that should translate into better mobility and speed. I remember one of the knocks on Dawson in his first few years was his speed and his tank so maybe 2022 might be Gould's break out?

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast