Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: General off-season footy chat

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    It’s definitely not illegal in NZ and I think Australia too. Recordings can be used in court sometimes too. I have been reading up because I have a bit of a dispute about to go down with the guy I bought a car off.
    They did not illegally record him. He sent a voice recording to a private group of his friends. So, ultimately it comes to this. He sent a voice message. Someone in his peer group decided to use it. That is not illegal as it was sent to them and is ultimately shared intellectual, not very intellectual, property.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Sorry, it is not illegal if the comments were made and sent to a social media group as these were. These comments were made as a recording, made by him, and sent to a private What's App group. So, therefore not illegal to share if you find them offensive and obviously someone in that group did.
    Eventually....and seemingly only when the recording would have more currency. He deserves to be sacked though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    AFL said no further action.
    As I said earlier.....protected species.

Morris has issued a huge apology on his Twitter.

He has condemned his own comments.

I liked his journalism, particularly his cricket writing.

I hope that Morris can reinvigorate his professional career. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance. Morris will go through some very tough times in the next little while.

Many people on Red and White will believe that Morris should be condemned for life. People should always remember if their son, father, uncle, husband or best friend made a mistake like Morris then you would want them to have a 2nd chance or a least a shot at proving they can be better than that.

Morris is a creep. I never liked him and thought he was a terrible journalist to boot. I hope we never see his face again.

I just have the polar opposite of everyone of your views..you pick and choose who to put on a pedestal and who to knock.
    Give us a break will you and stop preaching to us. We all have life experiences and I wish you'd keep to was tick to your motto of everyone deserving a second chance when you criticise Luke Beveridge and others who you see fit to criticise. And you do it often.
    Im wondering which of the world leaders you're idolising right now heaven forbid ..

Luke Beveridge is a good man and one of the coaches I respect. You criticised him heavily .

- - - Updated - - -

That was meant for Bangalore the moral guidance of the world

Am I the only one who finds the timing of the release of this recording more than a little suspicious?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Am I the only one who finds the timing of the release of this recording more than a little suspicious?
    Is there anyone who doesn’t?

Presumably one of Morris’s ‘mates’ is a Bulldogs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    I just have the polar opposite of everyone of your views..you pick and choose who to put on a pedestal and who to knock.
    Give us a break will you and stop preaching to us. We all have life experiences and I wish you'd keep to was tick to your motto of everyone deserving a second chance when you criticise Luke Beveridge and others who you see fit to criticise. And you do it often.
    Im wondering which of the world leaders you're idolising right now heaven forbid ..

Luke Beveridge is a good man and one of the coaches I respect. You criticised him heavily .

- - - Updated - - -

That was meant for Bangalore the moral guidance of the world
    My criticism of Beveridge was mild. I only criticised his action of telling Morris to leave the press conference when it’s the AFL press conference.

For perspective, Caroline Wilson was very strong in her criticism of Beveridge. Have a read of her comments.

Senior Player
    A large part of Morris's job is chatting back and forth with various Fox female presenters.
    I can not imagine any scenario where the women would ever do this again with him.

It's absolute BS that Morris is sacked and Beveridge isn't. The Bulldogs are a scum of a club and clearly have some underhand power thing happening - first relentless free kicks in their favour, then the release of this recording a few hours after Beveridge's pathetic apology.

Morris was out of line, sure. But he didn't say anything that every other man or woman has at some point said in private about their colleagues. 100% is not misogyny (defined as 'hatred of, aversion to, or prejudice against women').

Whilst I don't agree with Morris's rants there is a lesson here for the younger generation of the perils of social media and choosing your friends wisely. When is the message going to get through to everyone, that once you broadcast or post online, through the various platforms, that those messages are out there, and there are consequences such as that which has happened to Tom Morris where it appears that his career is ruined.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You reckon that's a mix of misogyny and homophobia? It's cringeworthy, sure, but I wouldn't use either of those terms to describe it. Doing so, IMO, detracts from criticism of comments that really are homophobic or misogynistic. I guess the context in which the comment was made matters. If he was on the phone to a mate and made those comments, he needs to find new mates (ie not those who tape and release private conversations) but I guess we all make comments about the opposite sex (or same sex) in private that aren't too different. If the comment was made in a professional context that's a different matter. For it is certainly an unprofessional comment and the crassness of it multiplies.

Regardless of that comment and any fall out, I don't think it mitigates or explains or excuses Beveridge's outburst. The original story from Morris was pretty lame. Not something worth getting as excited about as he did on Monday, but a minor story nonetheless. It appears to have been factually correct and I don't see the malice in it that Beveridge seemed to see. If Beveridge is going to get that worked up about such a trivial matter, let's hope for his and his club's sake that there aren't any meaningful stories about the Dogs worth breaking this season. Not sure how he will cope.

He also has form for getting aggressive towards journalists, to extents that far exceed the substance of what they have said. Sure, most footy journalists are pretty lame and little of what the "news" they break is of much interest, but reactions like Beveridge's are like getting pest exterminators into your house to get rid of a fly, when a simple swat or Raid spray would do.
    Completely agree with every pixel of this post, but those about misogyny and homophobia are worthy of particular note. Misogyny has become such an overused word that it has lost virtually all power and meaning. It is (mis)used these days for even the mildest of what would once have been called simply sexist, chauvinist or even just tasteless or poorly-judged behaviour. Anyone who suggests that Tom Morris's comment about his colleague was misogynist is demonstrating that they either don't know the meaning of the word or that they don't mind it being diminished to a pale shadow of its original self. As for [insert category]-obia, much the same could be said. These terms have also become banal through overuse, which I think makes life easier for those who engage in such -obic behaviour.

I also agree with someone's earlier comment about Beveridge. He is cut from exactly the same sooky, bad sport, needlessly aggressive cloth as Clarko and Hardwick. Those three are peas from a rather unpleasant pod.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829