Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Final. The season is dead: long live the season!

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, I think Gary just sees a bunch of players from both teams forming a small group on the field and then just wanders over to see
    what all the fuss is about. And then this strange oval shaped thing suddenly appears out of nowhere in the sky above the group and
    Gary thinks, "I'm getting out of here, it might hit me" and he then crashes into an opposition defender in his haste to get away.

Sounds more plausible then him taking actions to try and actually get possession stats in a big game!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

Sounds more plausible then him taking actions to try and actually get possession stats in a big game!
    No, that's never been a big thing for Gary. He's a good natured bloke and he just likes being out there on the field with the other
    guys, especially if it's a nice day and he can enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. I think many of us are the same actually. We enjoy
    being outside soaking in the rays in springtime with nothing particular on our mind. Once at the races they were interviewing
    the jockey of a horse I'd backed who had finished ninth, and the jockey spoke about good natured the horse was, and how happy
    the horse was to just to be out on the track following the other horses around. Well, Gary is a bit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    English lacks aggression for someone that big. Looks more suited to basketball.
    A bit like sinkers?

Veterans List

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Did you not stop to think that as it was a Grand final where the majority of the spectators in attendance , not just the Dogs supporters, were inclined to support the perceived underdog that they may have become vocal in expressing this ?
    Players and teams get booed at the start of and sometimes during games all of the time it’s part of the atmosphere it’s only when it becomes an ongoing and coordinated attack as was the case with Adam that it crosses the line.
    Obviously this occurring on that day impacted heavily on you and I could never hope to understand the resulting angst this has caused you but can only hope that eventually the pain will diminish.
    You appear to be unwilling to accept the harsh reality that some Swans supporters boo other teams as well and that it’s not just a Bulldogs thing.
    Pretty poor attempt to bait by the way Bloods05 but noted and acknowledged.🥱
    All booing is deplorable. Any person on here who has ever engaged in booing at a sports ground need to check themselves.

It’s the absolute height of disrespect and disfunction.

Happy to be public enemy number one and face down the clowns who think booing is acceptable.

Bring it on.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    All booing is deplorable. Any person on here who has ever engaged in booing at a sports ground need to check themselves.

It’s the absolute height of disrespect and disfunction.

Happy to be public enemy number one and face down the clowns who think booing is acceptable.

Bring it on.
    Well done to BS you have taken on a huge project.
    I was at the double header rugby internationals over the weekend and there was various levels of booing aimed at all four teams when a shot for goal was being lined up.
    Now before you get on your high horse let me once again state that booing is not something that I participate in or endorse ( apart from the odd occasion when it is directed at an umpire who has , in my opinion , made a poor call. I will of course now “check myself” in future )
    The original comment about booing Bulldogs by Bloods05 resulted in my assertion that unfortunately even Swans supporters participate in the practice . This was not received well but anyone who has been to a Swans game would find it difficult to refute.
    Luckily now you have jumped onboard as the arbitrator of crowd behaviour nationally the activity should diminish rapidly and soon become but a distant memory much like standing room terraces , full strength beer and smoking at games.

I was at the double header rugby internationals over the weekend and there was various levels of booing aimed at all four teams when a shot for goal was being lined up.
    Now before you get on your high horse let me once again state that booing is not something that I participate in or endorse ( apart from the odd occasion when it is directed at an umpire who has , in my opinion , made a poor call. I will of course now “check myself” in future )
    The original comment about booing Bulldogs by Bloods05 resulted in my assertion that unfortunately even Swans supporters participate in the practice . This was not received well but anyone who has been to a Swans game would find it difficult to refute.
    Luckily now you have jumped onboard as the arbitrator of crowd behaviour nationally the activity should diminish rapidly and soon become but a distant memory much like standing room terraces , full strength beer and smoking at games.
    What an odd comment. I have been to literally hundreds of footy games over many decades, including 5 grand finals. I have never witnessed this behaviour before. Never once. I have no issue with booing in general and have done my fair share of it myself. I was not being sanctimonious at all. I was simply making the point that this was something exceptional, and utterly distasteful.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    What an odd comment. I have been to literally hundreds of footy games over many decades, including 5 grand finals. I have never witnessed this behaviour before. Never once. I have no issue with booing in general and have done my fair share of it myself. I was not being sanctimonious at all. I was simply making the point that this was something exceptional, and utterly distasteful.
    Ok I wasn’t there you were so I can’t comment on that game in particular and as it had an obvious impact on you I will drop the subject especially since you find it my point of view odd.
    My point was, and your comment above confirms it , that in general booing teams is a fairly common occurrence at the football.

My point was, and your comment above confirms it , that in general booing teams is a fairly common occurrence at the football.
    That was never in dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yes, I'm still amazed by that turnaround, so it must have been far more startling and wondrous for a Demons fan. Halfway through the third, I was starting to get quite morose, thinking that the Bulldogs had weathered the early storm and not only were they going to inexorably grind out a victory, but the @@@@ing Bont was going to collect the Norm Smith. Then out of nowhere, 16 out of the last 17 goals.

And I do like these sentences, that Titus used to give context and to accentuate the gloom that was descending on him, prior to the truly remarkable momentum swing: "fifty-seven years of going to games when you knew more often than not, that not only would you not taste victory, you were going to get belted. So many of us over those years weren’t at the snow. We were at the bloody MCG, in the cold, in those old red seats of the Olympic Stand, watching our club be embarrassed on a weekly basis and paying for the privilege."

All the dark memories and emotions rising to the surface, only to be vanquished by the mind altering rush, of goal, after goal, after goal.

On the other side, I think that sort of drubbing, will lead to a certain amount of mental scarring for the Bulldogs. I think it's comparable to GWS of 2019. There was probably a similar amount of swagger and the belief that if they were on, then no team could go with them. Then the belting that Richmond gave them in the GF shattered that belief. Next season, I suspect that their confidence was greatly diminished, and despite all their top end talent, they never really looked like making the finals. I think next season for the Bulldogs, will be similar: a season where they struggle with the realisation, that their best, was nowhere near good enough.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    That was never in dispute.
    Always have to have the last word. Let it go, mate.

Senior Player
    I agree. This project may be more difficult than ridding the world of Covid. I watched the replay of the Red Sox-Yankees game last night and
    the commentators were talking about how some Yankees fans boo one of their best hitters (Giancarlo Stanton) every time he doesn't hit a
    home run during a plate appearance because Stanton USED to play (four years ago) for one of the many teams these fans really hate
    (the Florida Marlins).
    In baseball if you can hit a home run every tenth "at bat" then you are one of the very best players in the game. These folk will be hard to
    dissuade from anything including booing they don't want to do I tell you. But you know, nothing ventured nothing gained.