Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Chatting about Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Are people saying on this forum that they think it’s a dangerous idea to have Chad playing some Cricket with Corey?

I thought people would be delighted to see Chad averaging 110 this season. It’s shows his great sporting capability.

Are there any Cricket fans on Red and White?

I don’t think he’s facing 140km thunder bolts aimed at his body.
    Didn’t Simon O’Donnell play for St Kilda?

Craig Bradley played Sheffield Shield for SA.

Earl Spading played Cricket for WA.

Alex Carey spent some time on the Giants list.

The great Shane Warne played a game for St Kilda reserves.

Chad has a long way to go to match the dual sport capability of these above sportsman.

Be fun to see if he could reach a good level of local cricket.
    Laurie Nash (Aust & Tas), Max Walker (Aust), Peter Bedford (Vic), Jamie Siddons (footy for the Swans, cricket for SA & Vic).

Apart from Alex Carey all the others have something in common: none of them are from the last quarter of a century. And Alex Carey chose cricket over footy. Many of the ones you mentioned also held jobs outside sport. Fast forward a quarter of a century and today’s AFL footballer are full time professional athletes. With a lot of time and money invested in them. You also said that Chad doesn’t face 140km/hr deliveries. Callum Mills was tossing a gridiron ball - ended his season. Rampe was jumping a chain fence - ruined his season. And in both instances made a mess of our season. Ollie Wines dislocated his shoulder water skiing. Ruined his season. The rare exceptions seem to be the occasional garlic footballer who play during their off season but even they can get flack for doing so (Colin O’Riordan was an exception when the Swans sanctioned it). But Brayden Sier copped a lot of flack when he played a game of basketball under the name Phill Inn. Also consider all of the basketballers, the odd rugby player and other converts the majority of whom cease their previous sports to concentrate on footy.
    If you can’t see that there are risks associated with other activities that can compromise Chad’s and the club’s season and potentially his career then any further discussion is actually fairly pointless. You can keep hammering your point about Warner’s cricketing prowess, but the longer it goes on, please be prepared to receive (and graciously accept) criticism from others for your suggestion.

I, for one, recognise that he’s a talented and gifted athlete. But to risk injury that could compromise the Swans to me is frankly a little silly. I’m not suggesting he shouldn’t play cricket in his off season, if the club sanctions it. I am saying that you repeatedly encouraging it might display a lack of responsibility, IMO.

And for the record, Bradley played cricket for bothe SA and Vic, did play a reserves game for the Saints while playing U19s - he was given a towelling that day against Carlton. And Devon Conway broke his hand at bat without needing to be facing a 140km thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Laurie Nash (Aust & Tas), Max Walker (Aust), Peter Bedford (Vic), Jamie Siddons (footy for the Swans, cricket for SA & Vic).

Apart from Alex Carey all the others have something in common: none of them are from the last quarter of a century. And Alex Carey chose cricket over footy. Many of the ones you mentioned also held jobs outside sport. Fast forward a quarter of a century and today’s AFL footballer are full time professional athletes. With a lot of time and money invested in them. You also said that Chad doesn’t face 140km/hr deliveries. Callum Mills was tossing a gridiron ball - ended his season. Rampe was jumping a chain fence - ruined his season. And in both instances made a mess of our season. Ollie Wines dislocated his shoulder water skiing. Ruined his season. The rare exceptions seem to be the occasional garlic footballer who play during their off season but even they can get flack for doing so (Colin O’Riordan was an exception when the Swans sanctioned it). But Brayden Sier copped a lot of flack when he played a game of basketball under the name Phill Inn. Also consider all of the basketballers, the odd rugby player and other converts the majority of whom cease their previous sports to concentrate on footy.
    If you can’t see that there are risks associated with other activities that can compromise Chad’s and the club’s season and potentially his career then any further discussion is actually fairly pointless. You can keep hammering your point about Warner’s cricketing prowess, but the longer it goes on, please be prepared to receive (and graciously accept) criticism from others for your suggestion.

I, for one, recognise that he’s a talented and gifted athlete. But to risk injury that could compromise the Swans to me is frankly a little silly. I’m not suggesting he shouldn’t play cricket in his off season, if the club sanctions it. I am saying that you repeatedly encouraging it might display a lack of responsibility, IMO.

And for the record, Bradley played cricket for bothe SA and Vic, did play a reserves game for the Saints while playing U19s - he was given a towelling that day against Carlton. And Devon Conway broke his hand at bat without needing to be facing a 140km thunderbolt.
    I think with Shane Warne that Mill Hanna towelled him up. Although Hanna was a good footballer, his work that day changed the course of world cricket. Shane was cut by St Kilda shortly after that moment and focussed on Cricket. I wonder if Hanna has sat down with a couple of beers and watched Shane Bowl, knowing that he intervened in history.

I don’t know the level of cricket that Chad’s East Fremantle team plays in. It may be cricket tragics like John Howard bowling lolly pops that anyone with good hand eye coordination could smash.

However when you have not played Cricket since the U12s and you come back at age 20 and average 110 you clearly have some talent. He’s certainly playing the game with confidence.

I’m sure there are red and white fans who play some park cricket in summer that would be trying to get Chad on their cricket team when he returns to Sydney for preseason training. When we draft Corey, I’m sure both the boys would love to fill in for a Cricket team if your two players short.

I never knew that Siddons played for the Swans. What a legend.

Senior Player
    Look at Ashley Barty.

She has said she something along the lines of she wouldn’t be the number 1 women’s tennis player in the world if she didn’t take time away to …. play cricket!

In life, we need more than one interest/focus for our mental health as we have other things going well in our life if our main passion/focus area is going through a rough patch.

Cricket is safer than boxing or MMA, and a good for hand eye coordination!

And if we ignore Marngook for now, AFL would not even exist if it wasn’t for cricket, so we should encourage footballers to play cricket in thankful homage

Amongst all these stupid injuries (Stevie J anyone) lest we forget Spifer Everitt doing his by standing in a hole in his back garden. He may or may not have been putting fence posts in.

Chad’s weekend Cricket results are in.

He got caught for 11 in East Fremantles small chase of 85.

Chad would be disappointed about not going on after getting a start.

East Fremantle still remain undefeated.

Perplexing side note is that Chad did not get a bowl.

Corey got a wicket.

Suspended by the MRP
    Chad’s weekend Cricket results are in.

He got caught for 11 in East Fremantles small chase of 85.

Chad would be disappointed about not going on after getting a start.

East Fremantle still remain undefeated.

Perplexing side note is that Chad did not get a bowl.

Corey got a wicket.
    Thanks for the regular updates , i'll be able to sleep easier now

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    If you lived in WA you would be at all Chad’s Cricket games. You’rd have your full esky and tent set up going as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I'm feeling drowsy already....

Just read that Chad and Corey will be remaining in WA until January. I can continue to update their Cricket scores each week. Maybe they’ll get another three rounds of Cricket.

Senior Player
    Shall we add 'and Corey' to the title of this thread?

Just read that Chad and Corey will be remaining in WA until January. I can continue to update their Cricket scores each week. Maybe they’ll get another three rounds of Cricket.
    You can. Might be better if you don't.

Bangalore, it’s great that you love Chad and soon Corey- terrific. Chad has shown heaps of potential and we all agree that he has the makings of a very good footballer. But he hasn’t yet proven anything to warrant such an obsession.
    Can’t you wait until he shows consistently what he can do, before you continue to idolise him? You are getting carried away after a handful of good games- far too early for all your accolades. You risk giving him a swollen head and that’s the last thing he needs! He could become a star but he is no Isaac Heaney at this stage.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast