Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 133 to 144 of 338

Thread: Pre-season begins

  1. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Got there after 9am on Wednesday. They had already started a warmup. Of the listed players missing from Monday, I saw Rowbottom, Papley, McDonald and possibly Sheather. Mills was there but did not fully participate. There was also a few players from the VFL squad.

    - In threes kicking the ball to each other. Rampe, Mclean and Sheldrick were closest to me. I could hear Rampe saying "Gus louder let me hear your voice" to encourage Sheldrick to be vocal when making a lead for a pass.

    - Split into 3 groups and rotated through 3 skill stations.
    * Picking up a ground ball under pressure, get wrapped up then try to get a handpass away
    * A handballing drill
    * 6 attacking players work their way past 5 opposing players using short kicks

    - 6 attacking players handball past 3 opposing players in a small area

    - Ball movement drill moving the ball from the backpocket upfield by moving into space and making leads. Structured with multiple 3 vs 2 progressing up the field. The players not immediately involved in this drill practiced making leads to a delivery into the 50m arc.

    - 6 vs 6 ball movement drill using a wide area of the field. The 6 attacking players were set up in 4 lanes to encourage them to use the width of the oval.

    - Split up into backs, mids and forwards. McVeigh seems to still be coaching the forwards. And Cox the mids. Reid seemed to be with the backs. Heeney and Gulden were with the mids. Roberts joined the mids. Sheldrick and Corey Warner joined the forwards.

    *Forwards. Intially practiced crumbing in front of goal. McDonald would tap the ball down to 4 forwards running in from different angles.
    Then they practiced delivering the ball to leading forwards inside the 50m arc. 4 attacking players would make leads in the 50m arc against 2 opposing players.
    Then they practiced 1 vs 1 contested marking in the goal square from a high ball.

    *Mids. Practiced tap work between the ruck and mids. McAndrew would tap down to a 1 vs 1. Then later 2 vs 2. Then 4 vs 4.

    * Defenders. 6 vs 6 in the 50m arc. Attacking players would try to make leads and work the ball towards goal. The opposing team would try to track their leads. And then work the ball out if they won possession.

    - Running 2 laps of the oval in 3 sets. Though most players did not run all 3 sets. There were 3 groups and the better runners were split between the first 2 groups. Stephens was always 1st in group 1 with Ronke and McCartin behind him. Cunningham and Corey Warner were running strongly in group 2. In the 2nd set Corey Warner caught up to his brother who was in group 1 and then they sprinted each other to the finish for the last 1/4 lap.
    Great to hear Rowbottom is doing well.

    That Chad and Corey sprint is the future of the Swans before our eyes. Line breakers, executing at intensity.

  2. #134
    Reefer Madness
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in a yellow submarine
    Posts
    2,793
    Blog Entries
    1
    Excellent reporting and thanks.

    Good to hear several times now that Heeney is up, about, having a full-preseason training with the mids. Fingers, toes, everything crossed on him playing 70-80 percent of his time mid or wing. He'll kill it.

    And good to hear it confirmed Reid is getting a chance to remake himself as a defender. I'm not 100 percent convinced, but was happy with a one-year, cheap contract renewal to see if he can make a go of it given it's a soft spot on our list. If he does, great.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

  3. #135
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    5,227
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Excellent reporting and thanks.

    Good to hear several times now that Heeney is up, about, having a full-preseason training with the mids. Fingers, toes, everything crossed on him playing 70-80 percent of his time mid or wing. He'll kill it.

    And good to hear it confirmed Reid is getting a chance to remake himself as a defender. I'm not 100 percent convinced, but was happy with a one-year, cheap contract renewal to see if he can make a go of it given it's a soft spot on our list. If he does, great.
    I am certain this is Sam's last year. He will retire after this. I am not sure of him as a defender. He was OK in two matches but as soon as a good opponent came along he got horribly carved up. He is definitely not a lock down defender to play on the Charlie type.

    Will Sam even play AFL this season? This would depend on whether we take Paddy wouldn't it? Why have we not made announcement on Paddy? I am confused by this.

    Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

  4. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Got there after 9am on Wednesday. They had already started a warmup. Of the listed players missing from Monday, I saw Rowbottom, Papley, McDonald and possibly Sheather. Mills was there but did not fully participate. There was also a few players from the VFL squad.

    - In threes kicking the ball to each other. Rampe, Mclean and Sheldrick were closest to me. I could hear Rampe saying "Gus louder let me hear your voice" to encourage Sheldrick to be vocal when making a lead for a pass.

    - Split into 3 groups and rotated through 3 skill stations.
    * Picking up a ground ball under pressure, get wrapped up then try to get a handpass away
    * A handballing drill
    * 6 attacking players work their way past 5 opposing players using short kicks

    - 6 attacking players handball past 3 opposing players in a small area

    - Ball movement drill moving the ball from the backpocket upfield by moving into space and making leads. Structured with multiple 3 vs 2 progressing up the field. The players not immediately involved in this drill practiced making leads to a delivery into the 50m arc.

    - 6 vs 6 ball movement drill using a wide area of the field. The 6 attacking players were set up in 4 lanes to encourage them to use the width of the oval.

    - Split up into backs, mids and forwards. McVeigh seems to still be coaching the forwards. And Cox the mids. Reid seemed to be with the backs. Heeney and Gulden were with the mids. Roberts joined the mids. Sheldrick and Corey Warner joined the forwards.

    *Forwards. Intially practiced crumbing in front of goal. McDonald would tap the ball down to 4 forwards running in from different angles.
    Then they practiced delivering the ball to leading forwards inside the 50m arc. 4 attacking players would make leads in the 50m arc against 2 opposing players.
    Then they practiced 1 vs 1 contested marking in the goal square from a high ball.

    *Mids. Practiced tap work between the ruck and mids. McAndrew would tap down to a 1 vs 1. Then later 2 vs 2. Then 4 vs 4.

    * Defenders. 6 vs 6 in the 50m arc. Attacking players would try to make leads and work the ball towards goal. The opposing team would try to track their leads. And then work the ball out if they won possession.

    - Running 2 laps of the oval in 3 sets. Though most players did not run all 3 sets. There were 3 groups and the better runners were split between the first 2 groups. Stephens was always 1st in group 1 with Ronke and McCartin behind him. Cunningham and Corey Warner were running strongly in group 2. In the 2nd set Corey Warner caught up to his brother who was in group 1 and then they sprinted each other to the finish for the last 1/4 lap.
    Great report, SeanM! Particularly liked details like Rampe's comment, the sprint finish between the Warners and noting that whose training with the forward/mid/defender groups.

    I wonder if Matty Roberts is getting to train with mids in preference to Sheldrick on account of having a better tank? Despite being a pure 'inside' player, Sheldrick could perform as a small forward because he's strong tackler, has a good burst of acceleration and can kick goals. Could Sheldrick put pressure on Wicks' spot?

    I'd be interested if you notice which group McInerney and Campbell train with (I'm hoping McInerney is played as a wing rather than off half back - I'd rather see Campbell played down back together with Blakey and the rest). I'm delighted to hear Gulden training with the mids - I think we've got to get the ball in his hands as much as possible because he's such a great ball user. Also interested to know where Sheather, Corey Warner and Rankin train.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  5. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't believe that is true. Whenever I've attended training there has been a handful of players not participating, some of whom have been in attendance and others not. I suspect those who aren't able to do anything that day are more likely to go along to watch than those who might be doing their own designated work (including those consigned to the dungeon).
    That's true, Liz! I forgot about the dungeon!! Hopefully it will be left vacant in season 2022!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    He did not play between rounds 1 & 6. Missed 4 games. He had a delayed start to the season due to surgery in the off season. He hyperextend his knee in Round 1 against Lions. He was lucky not to be out for the season with an ACL. He stretched his PCL and had bruising and pain I am led to believe. So he did have a significant injury which did impact his season.

    Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    A funny plot twist.. at the conclusion of the 2021 season the club had James see a specialist to assess his knee. The specialist he ended up seeing was none other than his partner's dad!

  6. #138
    One name that has been curiously absent from the training reports and the Swans' social media .. Lance Franklin ?? Is the great man being eased into pre-season 2022? Was he over West for the Christmas break so delayed getting back to training? Or has he been out there training to his usual standard and we're trying to keep it under wraps

  7. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Great report, SeanM! Particularly liked details like Rampe's comment, the sprint finish between the Warners and noting that whose training with the forward/mid/defender groups.

    I wonder if Matty Roberts is getting to train with mids in preference to Sheldrick on account of having a better tank? Despite being a pure 'inside' player, Sheldrick could perform as a small forward because he's strong tackler, has a good burst of acceleration and can kick goals. Could Sheldrick put pressure on Wicks' spot?

    I'd be interested if you notice which group McInerney and Campbell train with (I'm hoping McInerney is played as a wing rather than off half back - I'd rather see Campbell played down back together with Blakey and the rest). I'm delighted to hear Gulden training with the mids - I think we've got to get the ball in his hands as much as possible because he's such a great ball user. Also interested to know where Sheather, Corey Warner and Rankin train.

    I think at this stage I would not read too absolutely into which group players were training in, especially the new guys.

    Mcinerney was with the defenders. He probably benefits from doing that 6 vs 6 drill where they were working the ball towards goal with short kicks. And alternatively having to man mark an opponent who is making leads in the 50m arc. Rather than him just doing tap work with the ruckman.

    I think Campbell would have been with the defenders. On Monday he did the full session but today I think Campbell arrived on the oval later. I think who I thought was Sheather went to the forwards. He also arrived on the oval later. Wicks was not fully involved in the session. He was doing straight line running on the side. Then at the end was doing laps around the boundary.


    Roberts seems more of a natural big bodied mid and seemed comfortable with that inside contested stuff. He does not seem to be a middle distance runner. So he probably benefits from doing tap work with the mids.

    Sheldrick and Warner joined in with the forwards. They just arrived in Sydney so maybe benefited from the variation in drills. Crumbing the ball and having a shot, delivering into and leading inside 50m and 1 vs 1 contested marking. Maybe also if they get a game off the bench, realistically they might be playing as a half forward.

    I think Sheldrick played occasionally as a small forward at junior level and during the drills I saw him crumb a ball and snap a goal. But I don't think he would be threatening Wick's spot. I am guessing he would be gradually developed into an AFL inside mid. And be working on different aspects of his game.

    Warner seems to be an outside mid that won't shirk the contest. Maybe wing, half forward and half back. I don't think he has got Blakey-like extreme line breaking speed. But he looks like he can run all day. A few times in the team drills I saw him receive the ball in space, run with it a bit then executed a simple pass to an open player.

    I have not seen Rankin this week. Though I saw him twice at the end of last year. I think he might have decent foot skills. At the end of one of the sessions, he was practicing kicking goals around the corner from a pretty hard angle. Also seems a decent runner. When they did the run, he kept up with the leading players then faded in the last lap.

    Though I don't know if any of them will debut early. It is a big step up to AFL level. The 6 vs 5 short kicking drill is probably a good indication. When they get the ball, they have to assess their options and execute the kick. Then run into space to confidently create an option. I find the newer players are not as sharp or precise in that drill.
    Last edited by SeanM; 12th January 2022 at 07:24 PM.

  8. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    One name that has been curiously absent from the training reports and the Swans' social media .. Lance Franklin ?? Is the great man being eased into pre-season 2022? Was he over West for the Christmas break so delayed getting back to training? Or has he been out there training to his usual standard and we're trying to keep it under wraps
    I saw Franklin at both sessions this week. He was involved in all the drills. Though I don't think he did the boundary running at the end.

  9. #141
    Thanks a million Sean. Your reports are so much more informative than what we get from the Swans' media. Cheer cheer!

  10. #142
    Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I used to attend training quite a bit when it was easier to do so.
    Before the SCG refused anyone but Press.
    And when Roosy and, in the early days, the current coach made us feel welcome at Lakeside.
    Many favorite memories, but seeing brand new Jetta and brand new Rohan having a flat out 50m sprint took my breath away.
    Never forget it.
    royboy42, who won???? I'm gonna go with Jetta...?

  11. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    royboy42, who won???? I'm gonna go with Jetta...?
    Nah, definitely gotta be Rohan. Well... I don't know what happened that day but Rohan was the quicker of the two. I remember Jetta being interviewed and asked about whether he was quickest at the club and he said Rohan had him "covered". Might have been around the time they were doing some sprint training with Matt Shirvington.

    SeanM, thanks for your thoughtful and convincing reply.

    NB, Buddy was also around training last year, even returning early during the period that only the 1st to 4th year boys were required.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  12. #144
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,014
    Jetta by a lip… and let Gaz know too. They were great buddies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO