Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season begins

BBB Hall

Good to see his involvement and encouragement with the squad.

He gave all of himself to the bloods.

But......for me "tough" is the absolute gut running Lloyd does for us every week to keep in space and alive for a handball or a mark.

Or the relentless contest to contest pursuit of Luke Parker giving everything he has in every tackle.

Veterans List
    Here's the footage of BBBH at training......great to see.

Members First: Barry Hall mic'd up - YouTube

- Got there Friday after 9am. Players were already on the oval. The listed players were kicking the ball back and forth in twos or threes. There were players I saw for the first time this week. Ladhams, Rankin, Sinclair, Naismith and P McCartin. There was about 8 VFL players doing some skill stuff together behind the southern goal. (They joined in most of the session but occasionally did their own stuff together.)

- The coaches called all the players over and they formed a semi circle near the Northern goal. Initially they clapped. Then they were talking for over 10 minutes. Then they formed two lines in front of the goal and watched someone take two shots at goal. I was on the other side so not sure what was going on.

- The players did some fitness stuff. It was mainly straight line running and shuttle runs. Within the squad, I assume there are different levels of preseason. Amartey, McDonald, Sinclair and Ladhams were doing a lot of straight line running on the side. Mills, Sheather, Naismith and O'Connor were doing lighter skill drills. And there were other players who just kicked the ball around instead of doing the running drills. Also there might be players on lighter loads. Because there were players who trained fully earlier in the week not present at all today.

- Split into 3 groups and rotated through 3 skill stations. One was picking up a ground ball and then chaining some handballs. Another was practicing quick side to side handballs. The most interesting to watch was where 7 attackers would have to work their way past 5 opposing players with short kicks. I like to watch this drill. Because the player with the ball has to assess their options under pressure, then execute the kick and then move into space to create a confident passing option.

- Split into 3 groups and did some quick handball games. Maybe 7 attacking players pick up a rolling ball then handball past 4 opposing player in a small space.

- Played something close to a match sim for 2 quarters. Even strength teams maybe 14 vs 14 with players in their typical positions. Each team would get an opportunity to start from their goal and try to work it forward. No real stoppages but a reasonable amount of pressure and tackling.

- Drill where players are on the 4 points of a large square. Then kick and run towards the opposite diagonal with multiple balls in motion.

- A 10 vs 10 drill which seemed to focus on transition between attack and defence. There were two fields set up next to each other. Then 3 teams of 10 with different coloured bibs. Team A would attack against Team B. Once Team A kicked the goal. Team C would immediately start attacking in the opposite direction on the adjacent field and Team A would have to get back in position to defend. And so on. I think the purpose of the drill was that the inital attacking team had to scramble back/laterally to defensively cover a fresh attacking team. And maybe it also forces the players to make quick attacking decisions against a defence that is not set yet.

- Split into Mids and Backs/Forwards. Backs/Forwards seem to be doing a 3 vs 3 drill to a ball kicked to the front of the goal square. The mids group were directly in front of me so I just watched them. Intially the mids were doing 1 vs 1 drill. A player would pick up a ground ball and then try to evade or shake off the tackler. There were some interesting match ups. McAndrew was swerving back and forth against Laidler for a while before they tumbled over in exhaustion. I think Kennedy matched up on Roberts. Warner might have been on Stephens. Then they worked 4 vs 4 with McAndrew tapping the ball down from a boundary throw in.

- Started to wind up after this. Few player had shots for goal, some did some high marking on a jump bag. Some guys did some 1 vs 1 wrap up tackling. it finished much later than usual maybe after midday.
    Last edited by SeanM; 15th January 2022 at 12:18 AM.

I initially tried to write down the lineups for the match sim but gave up. But here is an incomplete list to give some indication of positions. (There will be players that played who I forgot to write down and others at training who did not participate.)

Backs
    Campbell Cunningham Reid Blakey
    Mcinerney Gould Melican Rampe

Ruck/Mids
    McAndrew Clarke Kennedy Rowbottom Heeney
    Stephens Gulden Warner Roberts Florent Parker

Forwards
    Papley Mclean Warner Bell Ronke
    Wicks Hayward Sheldrick
    Last edited by SeanM; 15th January 2022 at 12:06 AM.

Brilliant SeanM! Thanks for the training updates! They are very much appreciated from those who can't get there, especially those of us in other States!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Proud Warner brothers raring for 2022 - YouTube

Very interesting that Chad said that the swans boys had met Warner Jnr a couple years ago and last year.

Seems like we had a real good look at where Warner junior is at and his potential development

Logan McDonald: I've got unfinished business - YouTube

Macca has really slimmed down.

Logan's face looks like all the puppy fat of teenage years has fallen off.

Can wait to watch his opportunities this year. To have Bud running around taking on of the key defenders tends to allow an emerging player like Logan to find some one on one's and sneaky goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Reasonably sure that Anderson was in that Sheldrick footage: from about 40 seconds in, doing a run without a number on his back. So, if it was him, I guess that means he's in our VFL team. I thought he was worth a late draft pick or a rookie spot, so I'll be interested how he goes.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Some of the Swans' social media is showing Barry Hall was down with the boys today at training, and giving them a bit of a chat.

Great to see. Whatever his indiscretions, the fact is he had a stellar career - almost 300 games, 700+ goals and was a Swans premiership captain - and would have some insights to offer them.
    One of our best ever match winners

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Reasonably sure that Anderson was in that Sheldrick footage: from about 40 seconds in, doing a run without a number on his back. So, if it was him, I guess that means he's in our VFL team. I thought he was worth a late draft pick or a rookie spot, so I'll be interested how he goes.
    That VFL player has been to all the sessions this week. Solidly built like Sheldrick. But also a decent runner.

Other VFL players I think I recognise are Adam Gulden, Will Collis, Harry Morrison, Darcy Cordell and Max Geddes.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    That VFL player has been to all the sessions this week. Solidly built like Sheldrick. But also a decent runner.

Other VFL players I think I recognise are Adam Gulden, Will Collis, Harry Morrison, Darcy Cordell and Max Geddes.
    Ta.
    Yes, I've noticed Geddes and Cordell in the background of other clips. While I haven't noticed Gulden, I'm pleased he's back, as I thought he played some good games last year, and he's said to be a good leader. Not so pleased if Collis is back, as I thought he was pretty ordinary last year.