Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season begins

Veterans List
    I liked this quote from Heeney yesterday

“Angus Sheldrick and Corey Warner have really produced that energy and work rate as well as being smart footy boys"

I like guys with footy brains, the two WA recruits already noted for that

Just to add to that 707

Marty Roberts certainly looked like an effortless decision maker when watching a few pf his videos for SA and local.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Or Mummy, or Ball, or Jolly, or Sinclair, or Seaby … or Chambers

Apart from Stafford, Nankervis (who were both traded to Richmond), Pyke & Goodsey (and he’s a bit of a stretch to be called a genuine ruckman) who else of quality have we actually developed. Most of our ruckmen have come from other clubs when we’ve had any sort of success (even look back to Brian Roberts, Graham Teasdale, Barry Round). During the Edelsten era we were probably a genuine ruckman short of success (and they did try for Simon Madden)
    No offence, but Goodes won a Brownlow playing in the ruck!
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Also I have heard alot of our swans players in their interviews talk about a significant focus on handballs

This seems to line up well with contested footy being more top4 like

We put a big emphasis into ball movement by foot last season / pre season and now it appears a bit more so into contested and exits via hand

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    No offence, but Goodes won a Brownlow playing in the ruck!
    No offence taken . His Brownlow is why I included him among our ruck successes … thought I caveat that with I personally don’t think he’s a genuine ruckman, more a utility who could play in the ruck

Bit of pre-season news:

* still no Buddy at training in recent times (I know he was around last year but not sure if he's been sighted this year?)

* training with match simulations etc has ramped up to a fair bit of contact - still not like a real match but properly contesting the ball

* best 22 players training away from the main group included Blakey, Papley, McDonald and Mills. McDonald however re-joined the main group for the game simulations. Maybe they are just trying to build his fitness rather than there being an injury issue.

* Braeden was absent today (also confirmed his nickname is 'BJ')

* Chad looking good - saw him have a great scrap for the ball with Heeney, and he's just generally so powerful and hard to tackle!

* McAndrew beginning to look a bit more convincing as a footballer. Was competing with Hickey in the ruck - mostly getting beaten but looking less beanpoley and out-of-place. Covering the ground quite well too.

I noted that they have spraypainted 10 white 'lanes' on to Tramway Oval. I think this is to help them with training structures and guarding space. They have also spraypainted another arc in black about another 10-15 (?) metres outside the 50 arc. I think this represents a zone where players have to start looking for scoring options or something.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

The Swans have posted a training gallery from today's session which shows the degree of contact that's going on. It also shows how McLachlan was competing with Hickey for the ball: Friday field session 21.01.22 (sydneyswans.com.au)

Some other points:

* Today's session was longer than usual. It was still going at 11.40 am when I left.

* Today was my first chance to lay eyes on Gus Sheldrick. I now think Matty Roberts is in the box seat to be first new draftee to debut. Sheldrick looked like he is still learning our structures and gamestyle and possibly still needs to work on his tank before he gets a game. Roberts seems more polished and versatile and ready to go sooner.

* Emilio was at training today, and the club has posted a cute video of him mic'd up: Mic'd Up: Emilio Kennedy (sydneyswans.com.au).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veteran Site Admin
    I see they're starting the academy boys even younger nowadays. Needs to work on his running speed, but ball handling is pretty impressive. Don't think I could catch a Sherrin that cleanly.

Mic'd Up: Emilio Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I see they're starting the academy boys even younger nowadays. Needs to work on his running speed, but ball handling is pretty impressive. Don't think I could catch a Sherrin that cleanly.

Mic'd Up: Emilio Kennedy
    I hope Dwayne Russell doesn't see that, otherwise he'll be gibbering on about how the Swans identify academy talent at 5 years of age. With the insinuation, that the kiddies are then shunted off to a Soviet style sports institute.

The little fella has some ball skills, though.

😀
    So good

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Was he the upstart that berated BBBH?
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Was he the upstart that berated BBBH?
    My dad says that you're a @@@@!