54-41 swans winning
    Disposals 263-215
    Contested possessions 88-90
    Tackles 32-39
    Clearances 18-31
    Inside 50s were 30-35

We were behind in every state except the scoreboard and disposals

Fascinating as we ended up winning by approx 3 goals
    It all comes down to the opportunities we create and the opportunities we take. Ball use is everything! We have so many daring, creative, clever and skilful ball users that they don't need a lot of it to make things happen! Gulden, Juzzy, the "Lizard", Rampe, Heeney, sometimes Ollie, Dawson last yr and Campbell this yr. Even those who you mightn't think are "classy" so to speak, like Paps, Parker, Millsy, Wicksy or "The Chad", are attacking players, they burn their opponents with speed or by doing something clever that the average player wouldnt think of doing! They catch opposition players off guard! It all makes for such a deadly combination when you have so many players who are skilful or dynamic or clever enough to find targets from any position on the ground by hand or foot!

We are a runaway train of exciting talent and i think anyone who doesn't have those traits to be quick or dynamic or high footy IQ will be left behind! Will be interesting to see how our latest draftees keep up with those traits, and also how those who have already been in our system for a few years but lack those skills cope!! I really believe this upcoming year will be the year that sorts the wheat from the chaff.. those who will make it in our future team and game plan .. and those who won't .. i think it will really show this year with such great depth! Such a fascinating time ahead - not long now!!

CHEER CHEER

With Hewett moving on.........im super curious who will replace George's very strong run with / tagging type role? Minimising the strike mids on the other team.

Will players like Ryan Clarke, Rowbottom and or even Wicks get more run with time against some of the opposition best?

I noticed when we played the Bulldogs mid way thru 2021 we actually rotated every ball up and or centre bounce with different mids on the Dogs best like Bont....... Mills, Kennedy, Heeney, Hewett alternated through out the game.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    With Hewett moving on.........im super curious he will replace George's very strong run with / tagging type role?

Will players like Ryan Clarke, Rowbottom and or even Wicks get more run with time against some of the opposition best?

I noticed when we played the Bulldogs mid way thru 2021 we actually rotated every ball up and or centre bounce with different mids on the Dogs best like Bont....... Mills, Kennedy, Heeney, Hewett alternated through out the game.
    Its going to be really intriguing to see how we cover that aspect of Hewett's game. It was certainly a key strength of his, but we have plenty of potential names that may pick up some of that slack. And while there is undoubted players out there where 'tagger' duties (I know its nowhere near that straightforward these days) is a key component of their football from day 1, many develop the skills over time or after a brief period of intense focus in training. So could be some left field player that takes up that mantle as and if required.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    With Hewett moving on.........im super curious who will replace George's very strong run with / tagging type role? Minimising the strike mids on the other team.

It will be Rowbottom and he will be good at it

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Its going to be really intriguing to see how we cover that aspect of Hewett's game. It was certainly a key strength of his, but we have plenty of potential names that may pick up some of that slack. And while there is undoubted players out there where 'tagger' duties (I know its nowhere near that straightforward these days) is a key component of their football from day 1, many develop the skills over time or after a brief period of intense focus in training. So could be some left field player that takes up that mantle as and if required.
    I quite like the term that i-u used the other day of "rotational collective". So, while I recognise that George played some good midfield games, I don't think he'll be replaced by someone specifically trying to be the next George. I think it will be more along the lines of a few guys getting extra time in that rotational collective. Campbell, Gulden and Stephens are likely to get more midfield minutes. Apparently Heeney has been training with the mids, so that should be another interesting option. Rowbottom and Warner should also step up. And I think all of those are either as athletic, or more athletic than George. So, I don't really see replacing him as a problem.

As far as tagging goes, I'm not sure if we did much tagging last season? While there was obviously plenty of midfield match ups, I think they were overwhelmingly one on one contests, rather than one of our guys trying to play a largely negating role on a gun opponent. If we did decide to use a tagger, I suppose Clarke could do that. But I thought our main strength last year, was our quick and creative ball movement; so I wouldn't really want Clarke slowing that down.

Many teams don’t tag. I’m not sure we will either. I think players will be accountable but will need to play our game. Perhaps RB will do a job but I don’t think he will be asked to exactly replicate Hewett’s role. It will continue the evolution of the Swans and their game plan. Time will tell.

I feel we need to have a big hitting tagger that will crunch ball carrier a few times. That was a game plan that some other clubs used to affect last year. Not sure we have this player currently. So it will be have to be a team effort. Likely to the a rotation of players. The run with role is likely to be Wicks, Warner or Clarke, Harry and others to help.. (Bell or Mills) Feel the rest are attacking players and a run with role would be wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    I feel we need to have a big hitting tagger that will crunch ball carrier a few times. That was a game plan that some other clubs used to affect last year. Not sure we have this player currently. So it will be have to be a team effort. Likely to the a rotation of players. The run with role is likely to be Wicks, Warner or Clarke, Harry and others to help.. (Bell or Mills) Feel the rest are attacking players and a run with role would be wasted.
    Out of the last 10 flag winners, how many used a tagger? West Coast with Hutchings. Harmes was certainly more defensive oriented last year but I'm not sure he was a tagger. Richmond didn't use one. Hawthorn didn't tag in their three-peat.

I think it is an effective role every now and then but I really think the best teams are those that are being hunted rather hunting.