Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season begins

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Members First: Pyke's pre-season assessment

how good has been the inclusion of someone as experienced as Don Pyke to our club

watching the training this pre season and our adjustment in attack thru 2021....... we are playing a style of footy that our players appear to love.

Not only do they look like they are loving the adjustments to our playing style but they also look like they are really playing for each other.

Our mix between contested and uncontested footy has been so amazing to watch in 2021. Such a transformation to requiring players that are better by foot under pressure. We really seem to have a high amount of players that can play this style of shorter sharper kicks to leads. It does remind of when the Hawks were at their best and a little like Adelaides style in years gone past.
    He was a huge get. Hope we can keep him for a while.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So, Paddy is now official. As someone who lives outside Sydney these days, and with COVID-travel restrictions, I've never seen him play as a defender. I'm keen to get the view on those who have: what's he actually do well as a defender, and what's his actual weak spots to work on as a defender? (Looking for more than 'he was once a No1 pick', or 'his diabetes', or 'not thump people').

McCartin joins Sydney's senior list
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Heard a killjoy on SEN this morning who said Darling isn't vaccinated and won't be playing for WCE, and they should be going hard to get Logan McDonald at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Heard a killjoy on SEN this morning who said Darling isn't vaccinated and won't be playing for WCE, and they should be going hard to get Logan McDonald at the end of the season.
    We should be looking to extend his contract ASAP for precisely this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So, Paddy is now official. As someone who lives outside Sydney these days, and with COVID-travel restrictions, I've never seen him play as a defender. I'm keen to get the view on those who have: what's he actually do well as a defender, and what's his actual weak spots to work on as a defender? (Looking for more than 'he was once a No1 pick', or 'his diabetes', or 'not thump people').

McCartin joins Sydney's senior list
    His intercept game is sensational. I suggest you view some of the VFL replays he played in. Tech is great for getting an idea how he plays. You don't have to be there. Just look at the footage.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    For those interested, there's a great photo on the Swans BF site, Pre Season thread, of Buddy in action at a recent (it's raining) training session, he looks in fantastic nick.

Only two games for players to impress the MC in the logjam for R1 spots, a practice match against GWS on one of the last two weekends of Feb, all details yet to be revealed, and a game against North at Giants Stadium 3.50pm Sunday 6th March.

The Herald - Sun has put up a list of injuries at all clubs, ours is pleasingly very short -

Callum Mills -modified training drills after the achilles injury.
    Joel Armatey- modified training drills after groin pain.
    Marc Sheather - Navicular stress reaction at start of pre season and has returned to running .
    Sam Naismith - continuing rehab from 3rd ACL

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    We should be looking to extend his contract ASAP for precisely this reason.
    I am sure we are! Logan did say recently in a Swans video interview that he likes it in Sydney. That's a positive sign.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I am sure we are! Logan did say recently in a Swans video interview that he likes it in Sydney. That's a positive sign.
    I think the word he used was "love". But we know that words, on their own, don't mean much...

Veterans List
    Channel 7 reported that the swans had an intraclub match today. They showed footage of Buddy (of course) and they gave me a heart attack when they showed Florent on the ground clutching his leg. It was his ankle but they said he was lucky it was only a sprain.

Veterans List
    Latest installment......a good one.

Inside Sydney: Episode 4 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Latest installment......a good one.

Inside Sydney: Episode 4 - YouTube
    Good that they featured the duo that are largely responsible for the fitness of the players: Damien Raper and Rob Innes. Hopefully they can keep up the good work of last year.

Innes is an interesting one. He was with Richmond throughout their recent glory days, and during that period, they had a remarkably good run with injuries. After he came to us, Richmond had an injury plagued season, while for much of the same season, our injury list was satisfyingly short. Of course, how much of that is due to good luck, rather than good management, is hard to tell.

I mean, I think most of the people in charge of an AFL club's medical program, would have passed much the same medical exams at uni, with much the same level of distinction. They probably also have a similar level of interest in new research, and possibly have similar access to helpful new technology. So, would there be that much difference from club to club? Looking for information on Rob Innes and Damien Raper, I did find an article from early last season, in which Dane Rampe enthused about the new team. While he stressed that the old staff were great, what he really liked about the new team, was that there was a higher level of personal communication. That is, they spent more time talking individually to players, working out if they had any niggles, sorting out individual needs and tailoring programs. Hopefully, another largely injury free season, will suggest that there is a difference from team to team.
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 6th February 2022 at 10:00 AM.

Interesting analysis Deja. Thanks. Injuries always plays a big part in a team's fortunes and importantly to whom. I had feeling the call on Buddy's hamstring during the 2020 pre-season where he felt soreness but got cleared to continue training, only for it to go shortly after & ended up missing entire season, was the catalyst for the change. Great to see he played more games than expected last season. Maybe the club as a whole got to better understand how to manage Buddy with his advancing years & injury history, rather than laying blame squarely on couple of medical staff. Good to see Buddy training with the main group & in match sims for this time of year! No delayed start to season. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by KSAS; 6th February 2022 at 09:46 AM.