Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 49 to 57 of 57

Thread: Pre-season begins

  1. #49
    The one photo of Squizzy Taylor shows him to be in good shape!

    I reckon competition for positions in our team will be intense, especially for the last 3-4. Maybe that's why Dawson left because he couldn't stand the heat 😂😂

  2. #50
    Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Posts
    3,280
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Only because the bites keep coming

    No doubt we will have further moments of absurdity to come over the long pre-season ahead.
    It's not called the silly season for no reason.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

  3. #51
    Went down to training Monday morning around 930am. They had already started and were doing some straight line running. It was a big group with a lot of academy/vfl players integrated into the same sesssion as the senior guys. Seemed to be Blakey, Mills, Clarke, Melican and Amartey doing a lighter session on the far side.

    Think they split into 3 groups for 2km. For the first group initially Fox established a reasonable gap, Stephens and Rankin had a clear gap in 2nd and everyone else was in a bunch together. Though in the last lap Rankin tired and dropped off, Stephens finished really strongly and made up some ground on Fox. And the bunch of players behind them started to spread out. It seemed Ronke and Gulden were finishing strongly. In the 2nd group CoR was way ahead of everyone else.

    - Kicked the ball back and forth in threes

    - Rotated through 3 skill stations
    Picking up a rolling ground ball and getting a handball away after being tackled in congestion.
    6 attackers working the ball past 5 defenders using kicks
    3 attackers running in a line drawing 2 defenders with sideways handballs before kicking to a leading player

    - More skill stations
    Set up in a square with 2 defenders in the middle. Then kicking the ball to one of the other 3 points in the square
    6 attackers handballing past 5 defenders
    3 lanes of players handballing past 2 defenders in a tight space

    - Set up in a large square, run and kick to the opposite diagonal. Two balls in motion.

    - Attacking team structured with 4 backs 4 mids 4 forwards. They work the ball out with short kicks from defence. Then eventually kick long to a ruckman on halfway who taps it down. The attacking team reacts and attacks from the crumbed ball.

    - Using a big wide open area of the field. The attacking team of 5 is set up in 3 wide lanes vs 6 defenders (2fwds-2mids-2backs). They work the ball past the defenders using movement and the width of the field.

    - 12 attackers vs 9 defenders. Attacking team works the ball past the defending team with a focus on keeping their shape.

    - Few players did some shuttle runs. 3 sets of 4x50m shuttles.

    - At the end players were just kicking for goal. The rucks did some work with one of the coaches.

  4. #52
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    6,592
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Went down to training Monday morning around 930am. They had already started and were doing some straight line running. It was a big group with a lot of academy/vfl players integrated into the same sesssion as the senior guys. Seemed to be Blakey, Mills, Clarke, Melican and Amartey doing a lighter session on the far side.

    Think they split into 3 groups for 2km. For the first group initially Fox established a reasonable gap, Stephens and Rankin had a clear gap in 2nd and everyone else was in a bunch together. Though in the last lap Rankin tired and dropped off, Stephens finished really strongly and made up some ground on Fox. And the bunch of players behind them started to spread out. It seemed Ronke and Gulden were finishing strongly. In the 2nd group CoR was way ahead of everyone else.

    - Kicked the ball back and forth in threes

    - Rotated through 3 skill stations
    Picking up a rolling ground ball and getting a handball away after being tackled in congestion.
    6 attackers working the ball past 5 defenders using kicks
    3 attackers running in a line drawing 2 defenders with sideways handballs before kicking to a leading player

    - More skill stations
    Set up in a square with 2 defenders in the middle. Then kicking the ball to one of the other 3 points in the square
    6 attackers handballing past 5 defenders
    3 lanes of players handballing past 2 defenders in a tight space

    - Set up in a large square, run and kick to the opposite diagonal. Two balls in motion.

    - Attacking team structured with 4 backs 4 mids 4 forwards. They work the ball out with short kicks from defence. Then eventually kick long to a ruckman on halfway who taps it down. The attacking team reacts and attacks from the crumbed ball.

    - Using a big wide open area of the field. The attacking team of 5 is set up in 3 wide lanes vs 6 defenders (2fwds-2mids-2backs). They work the ball past the defenders using movement and the width of the field.

    - 12 attackers vs 9 defenders. Attacking team works the ball past the defending team with a focus on keeping their shape.

    - Few players did some shuttle runs. 3 sets of 4x50m shuttles.

    - At the end players were just kicking for goal. The rucks did some work with one of the coaches.
    Fantastic, thanks for the update Really interesting to hear a bit more detail about early pre-season training. Interesting sounding attacking drills - I have zero understanding of what is the 'norm' in that regard, but it fits broadly with the way we tried to play last year in the way you describe those drills.


    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    It's not called the silly season for no reason.
    So very true..... I'm sure we will get many more classic nonsense comments before the (usually insert long and hot here - but not so sure this year) Summer is out!
    Last edited by mcs; Yesterday at 09:32 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  5. #53
    I'm excited about how fit the boys look. Competition for midfield spots will be intense. I'm expecting a breakout year for Dylan Stephens. He is looking super fit and much stronger.

  6. #54
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Only because the bites keep coming

    No doubt we will have further moments of absurdity to come over the long pre-season ahead.
    What are you on about , i said nothing absurd at all , made a few comments about the players that others have said the same about , and asked a question about 2 others who i thought might be injured or something , why do you have to turn everything into an argument , you say you dont like the nastiness but thats all you do even when i say something positive

  7. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    What are you on about , i said nothing absurd at all , made a few comments about the players that others have said the same about , and asked a question about 2 others who i thought might be injured or something , why do you have to turn everything into an argument , you say you dont like the nastiness but thats all you do even when i say something positive
    Spot On.

  8. #56
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    4,204
    Lol, check out @naismith10 Instagram post made this afternoon. Sam hasn’t given up on his playing career!

  9. #57
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    5,079
    To tell the truth pre-season training does not rock my boat. As a player I was not too fond of it as the first thing we did was a 10,000 metre run. Then we did 10 X 100 metre sprints, 20 X 200 metre sprints, then airobic exercises. Gyms were not a big thing in those days, it was all about aerobic fitness and then after that the balls came out.

    Bloody hell. I can remember being on Rathmines Oval until 7:30pm of we lost a match in the A grade. The reserves were struggling to get a team but the A's were very close to the top 4.

    I believe the proof of the efficacy of pre-season training is in the games. The preseason games are for trying things. I hope they actually get to do that this season


    Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wolftone57; Today at 07:11 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO