Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swans season 2022 - Bring it on! (List, hopes, dreams)

Swans season 2022 - Bring it on! (List, hopes, dreams)

The Mongrel Punt points out JPK is about to be have the most clearances and the most contested possessions in AFL history. At around the round 3-5 mark next year.

The Other Milestone Man - The Mongrel Punt

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The Mongrel Punt points out JPK is about to be have the most clearances and the most contested possessions in AFL history. At around the round 3-5 mark next year.

The Other Milestone Man - The Mongrel Punt
    Thanks so much for sharing. We’re biased here, obviously, but it’s pretty rarified air to have a claim to being the greatest contested ball player of our time, and for an entire decade - and I don’t mean for the Swans, but the entire competition.

They should build him a goddamn shrine.

When we talk bout the legends of the Swans, we rightly go to Skilton, Plugger, Goodes, Kelly and maybe a couple of others. This bloke sits right on their tail.

If this his last season, let’s enjoy every freaking bit of it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP
    Blakey , Florent, McCartin and Chad our most likely to become stars next year on AFL piece . They were especially positive about Chad

Guess they already consider Gulden , Jmac stars

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Blakey , Florent, McCartin and Chad our most likely to become stars next year on AFL piece . They were especially positive about Chad

Guess they already consider Gulden , Jmac stars
    Good point. Gulden and Jmac are my favourites of those players.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Gulden couldn’t have had a better first year really, bar the injury. And JMac is the clear clubhouse leader of our years 1-3 players.

My only surprise on that list was suggesting McCartin might have a break out year. I’m not sure what footy the writers watched this year, but it can’t have been the Swans. He was stellar.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Gulden couldn’t have had a better first year really, bar the injury. And JMac is the clear clubhouse leader of our years 1-3 players.

My only surprise on that list was suggesting McCartin might have a break out year. I’m not sure what footy the writers watched this year, but it can’t have been the Swans. He was stellar.
    I think it depends on what the journos mean by break-out year. If it's a player being in contention for AA selection, all our younger players (younger than Mills) are yet to reach that level. If it's just becoming regular contributors in a decent team, most of them are already there.

I suspect the omission of Gulden from the short-list is because it usually takes players until their third year to really take that step up to consistent performer - with second year "blues" all too common. McInerney's omission? That can only be because the journo wasn't paying attention.

Could it be we just have too many possible stars to include? If the reporter wrote Blakey, McCartin, Florent, Warner, Gulden, McInerney, Hayward, Campbell, McDonald etc. then it would be pretty pointless doing an article where you have to select only a couple! Heh..

They picked good choices. Ollie is the one about to enter his prime, Blakey is the one with the most raw athleticism of that lot, McCartin was our lone selection in the 22under22 team this year, and "The Chad" is our most exciting young midfield prospect (unless you count Millsy as young, which he technically still is!!)

It's a great young squad and a recurring theme with the media reporting around the state of our list seems to be.. how hard it is to pick a favourite!! (That would make for a great thread idea..?)

Blakey's 4-6 weeks before injury were as good as any of our young brigade. When he went down, we all generally felt that it had a significant impact on our finals chances. His dash and run will be huge next year, i think he might be a smokey for the AA larger squad

There are number of teams with very promising young lists: Bulldogs (glut of mids, plus McNaughton, JUH and Darcy!) and Fremantle particularly come to mind. But the premiers, Brisbane, Port and Gold Coast also have strong, young lists. So while I abound in hope for us, I am conscious that the competition is hot too.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    There are number of teams with very promising young lists: Bulldogs (glut of mids, plus McNaughton, JUH and Darcy!) and Fremantle particularly come to mind. But the premiers, Brisbane, Port and Gold Coast also have strong, young lists. So while I abound in hope for us, I am conscious that the competition is hot too.
    All good lists, but my hunch is that the Bulldogs may slump this season, in much the same way that GWS slumped in 2020, after they were thrashed in the 2019 GF. I think that both the 2019 GWS and the 2021 Bulldogs sides, had the core belief that they had so much talent, that if they gave a 100% effort, then no one could go with them. Richmond comprehensively dented that perception and the following year, GWS never really looked a premiership threat. The manner in which the Demons took the Bulldogs apart in the second half, suggests to me, that the Bulldogs will no longer have last year's swagger.

Of the other teams, I tend to think that the Suns will get their act together enough, to make their first finals, but that will largely be mission accomplished. I'd like to see Fremantle put some more runs on the board, before I rate them a genuine threat. And that both Port and Brisbane are likely to be our main rivals. But of course, a lot can happen between now and the start of the season.

I so hope you're right with your Bulldogs prediction Deja for obvious reasons!

I'm bemused at some media predictions that Richmond will bounce back into premiership contention next year. Top 8 at best I would think, given their list profile & having already scaled the mountain several times.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I so hope you're right with your Bulldogs prediction Deja for obvious reasons!

I'm bemused at some media predictions that Richmond will bounce back into premiership contention next year. Top 8 at best I would think, given their list profile & having already scaled the mountain several times.
    Of course, I could be letting personal prejudice influence my thoughts; but I reckon there's a reasonable chance that I'm right. A belting, like the one that the Bulldogs copped, tends to leave psychological scars.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast