Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans games of the past

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I think that comeback was in the 2003 season, and the first signs of the emerging group

I do remember however there was a game against Melb in the second half of 2005 where - given they were a quality side at that point - we played so well, I started to think: well, maybe, just maybe
    that one was r5 in 2003 I believe? Think we won the first against Carlton with Doyle on fire (then obviously injured) and we were looking at 1-4 record and maybe a different future for Roos if not for the 10goal last qtr.

Funny the things that stick in the mind

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Nicks had a great game up forward, didn't he?

[edit]
    Nope, I was thinking of a different game.
    And yes it was 10.4 in the last qtr Rnd 5 2003 (Anzac day)

[edit part 2]
    This is the Matthew Nicks game I was thinking of: Rnd 21 2001 vs Saints
    A sound thrashing. Even Cap'n Kirk got on the board with 3 straight.
    Wow 6 goals from Matthew Nicks.....that one had also escaped me. Thanks RogueSwan! I also vaguely remember Jarryd McVeigh kicking a bag (4 - 6 goals) early in his career as a midfielder. Think it was against the Bulldogs in Canberra?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    And yes it was 10.4 in the last qtr Rnd 5 2003 (Anzac day)
    I recall this very well, as it was the first game I ever attended. I thought it was one of the most exciting things I'd seen! I remember watching Goodes repeatedly charging out of the middle and thinking, that bloke's going OK.

I believe it's still number 8 in the top 10 of Swans last quarter turnarounds (44 points), as measured by the difference between Q3 and Q4 margin for games where they were behind starting Q4.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I do remember during that period I was never nervous about the Swans playing the Blions. The team seemed to lift to another level for those games.
    The Swans have been a bogey team for Brisbane, with Brisbane recording 13 wins, 1 draw and 24 losses against Sydney. 9 of those 13 wins were between 1997 and 2004.

Curiously, the only team that Brisbane have had a worse record against is Richmond: 10 wins, 1 draw and 24 losses, and only 3 wins since 2004. When Brisbane defeated Richmond in a 2020 final, it was Brisbane's first win over Richmond since 2009, and second win since 2004.

The Brisbane Lions have been not so great since their dominant era from 1999 to 2004, but have now become competitive again. I expect good games from them in the next few years.

One Brisbane game that stands out to me was actually a loss, the 2003 Preliminary Final, where Brisbane scored 6.6 (42) to 0.1 (1) in the last quarter to take the game away from Sydney. It was disappointing to lose that game, but that game is one part of an interesting coincidence. When the 2003 finals are compared to the 2005 finals, the results are similar. Each team in each ladder position had similar results in all nine finals. In 2005 in the preliminary final, Sydney did much the same thing to the Saints as Brisbane did to Sydney in 2003: Sydney scored 7.0 (42) to 0.4 (4) in the last quarter to take the game.

In the end, Brisbane finished third in 2003 and won the premiership. Sydney finished 3rd in 2005 and won the premiership.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

i remember watching that 2003 PF in a pub with a couple of Swans mates. At 3/4 time we were all nervously excited on the possibility paying in the GF the following week. This was when everyone in the media (including Caro) predicted we would win the spoon at beginning of the season. This was right after the "Choose Roos" campaign in 2002, when we'd finished the season strongly after Eade had gotten the flick mid-season. Despite the disappointment being rolled by the Lions in the final quarter, we all took solace the heights the club had achieved that season & gave the two fingers salute to all the media doomsayers.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    i remember watching that 2003 PF in a pub with a couple of Swans mates. At 3/4 time we were all nervously excited on the possibility paying in the GF the following week. This was when everyone in the media (including Caro) predicted we would win the spoon at beginning of the season. This was right after the "Choose Roos" campaign in 2002, when we'd finished the season strongly after Eade had gotten the flick mid-season. Despite the disappointment being rolled by the Lions in the final quarter, we all took solace the heights the club had achieved that season & gave the two fingers salute to all the media doomsayers.
    The self-anointed experts in the media don't have much of a clue when attempting to predict the form of the season to come. Some of that is due to luck. A side could have a bad run with injuries and do a lot worse, as Richmond did this year.

However, that does not excuse these alleged experts from perpetuating some howlers when making their predictions.

The biggest howler some of them perpetuate year after year is taking the previous year's finalists, shuffling them up a bit, and then offering that up as their prediction of the next year's finalists. This is fundamentally lazy, lacks imagination, and ignores history, where sides making the finals usually change from season to season. As a rough rule of thumb, only about five sides out of eight make the finals in two consecutive years. The 2021 finals had only four sides in common with the 2020 finals. None of the media experts prior to the 2021 season predicted that level of turnover.

When I made my finals predictions this year, I selected five finalists from 2020 to make the finals in 2021, excluded three, and added three new sides. I only got five right (but I did include Melbourne in my list because they finished ninth in 2020; most media experts didn't). None of the experts did better than five - mostly because they didn't have the imagination to predict such a turnover of finalists.

So it's quite common for the media "experts" to get their pre-season predictions very badly wrong. Note in particular how many of them predicted Melbourne would even make the finals this year, less than half of them. Melbourne supporters would be justified giving them the finger as well, but I doubt they would waste any time on that, they would rightly be focused on celebrating their well-earned premiership win.

Getting back on topic, the Brisbane Lions preliminary final from 2003 may have ended in a defeat to a better side, but I would like to go back to the previous game, the qualifying final against Port Adelaide. Knocking them off after they finished as the top side, and helping to perpetuate Port Adelaide's infamous reputation for choking has to be worth discussing. The 2003 qualifying final had about 15 players playing that day that went on to become premiership players in 2005.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The self-anointed experts in the media don't have much of a clue when attempting to predict the form of the season to come. Some of that is due to luck. A side could have a bad run with injuries and do a lot worse, as Richmond did this year.

However, that does not excuse these alleged experts from perpetuating some howlers when making their predictions.

The biggest howler some of them perpetuate year after year is taking the previous year's finalists, shuffling them up a bit, and then offering that up as their prediction of the next year's finalists. This is fundamentally lazy, lacks imagination, and ignores history, where sides making the finals usually change from season to season. As a rough rule of thumb, only about five sides out of eight make the finals in two consecutive years. The 2021 finals had only four sides in common with the 2020 finals. None of the media experts prior to the 2021 season predicted that level of turnover.

When I made my finals predictions this year, I selected five finalists from 2020 to make the finals in 2021, excluded three, and added three new sides. I only got five right (but I did include Melbourne in my list because they finished ninth in 2020; most media experts didn't). None of the experts did better than five - mostly because they didn't have the imagination to predict such a turnover of finalists.

So it's quite common for the media "experts" to get their pre-season predictions very badly wrong. Note in particular how many of them predicted Melbourne would even make the finals this year, less than half of them. Melbourne supporters would be justified giving them the finger as well, but I doubt they would waste any time on that, they would rightly be focused on celebrating their well-earned premiership win.

Getting back on topic, the Brisbane Lions preliminary final from 2003 may have ended in a defeat to a better side, but I would like to go back to the previous game, the qualifying final against Port Adelaide. Knocking them off after they finished as the top side, and helping to perpetuate Port Adelaide's infamous reputation for choking has to be worth discussing. The 2003 qualifying final had about 15 players playing that day that went on to become premiership players in 2005.
    That Port game was a grand game of footy - never expected to win over there and dominated by far more then the final scoreline suggested. Got lots of injuries along the way, and a few out to begin with as well. Was immese and love watching the replay as one of the regulars over the long hot summer season.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

The best example of Melbourne footy media idiocy is that the ‘this is the year Carlton will jump into contention’ prediction has been made for about 10 years straight. And it’ll be made again this year.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That Port game was a grand game of footy - never expected to win over there and dominated by far more then the final scoreline suggested. Got lots of injuries along the way, and a few out to begin with as well. Was immese and love watching the replay as one of the regulars over the long hot summer season.
    When watching the replay I can't but smile at the increasingly cranky lady Port fan who obviously was displeased with the game's process. Added the icing on the wonderful cake!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    When watching the replay I can't but smile at the increasingly cranky lady Port fan who obviously was displeased with the game's process. Added the icing on the wonderful cake!
    One of my favourite parts of the replays too. We have all felt the pain she felt at different points, but it still makes me smile too

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

When the lead hit about 50points kicking to the left, didn’t Huddo say “I see it but I don’t believe it”?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    There are other games in my 60 years of loving the Swans that I remember more fondly - for example, beating Geelong at the Lake Oval in 1973 to end a 29 game losing streak - but I consider that performance against Port in the 2003 QF to be greatest ever win. (Premierships aside, of course!)
    Last edited by Sandridge; 28th December 2021 at 07:15 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast