Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Swans games of the past

Some historic footage there. We had a good team that season and went on to play finals after a 7-year drought. Teasdale won the Brownlow that season too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Some historic footage there. We had a good team that season and went on to play finals after a 7-year drought. Teasdale won the Brownlow that season too.
    Yeah, I remember Teaser had kicked 17 goals at Full Forward after 2 rounds & leading the goal kicking. He was then moved into the ruck & the rest is Brownlow history!

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Yeah, I remember Teaser had kicked 17 goals at Full Forward after 2 rounds & leading the goal kicking. He was then moved into the ruck & the rest is Brownlow history!
    I think he continued at full forward for the next 5 rounds after his 17 goal stellar start, for a return of 11 goals over those 5 games and was then shifted to the ruck

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I think he continued at full forward for the next 5 rounds after his 17 goal stellar start, for a return of 11 goals over those 5 games and was then shifted to the ruck
    Spot on.

50 goals kicked between the two teams! Unfortunately we were on the wrong end in a shootout thriller. Incredible match to witness.

Geelong 26.11.167 (Goals: Donohue 8, Sarah 5, Bright 2, Clarke 2, Floyd 2, Matthews, Doyle, Bruce Nankervis, Ian Nankervis, Neal, Preston) defeated South Melbourne 24.11.155 (Goals: Gull 8, Evans 3, Murphy 3, Hoffman 2, James 2, Morwood 2, Brice, Jackson, Morrison, O'Neill).

South Melbourne V Geelong, Round 20 1978 - YouTube
    Last edited by KSAS; 21st February 2022 at 09:00 AM.

50 goals kicked between the two teams! Unfortunately we were on the wrong end in a shootout thriller. Incredible match to witness.
    1987. Rounds 16-18

Swans 30.21(201)
    West Coast 10.11(71)

Swans 36.20(236)
    Essendon 11.7(73)

Swans 31.12.(198)
    Richmond 15.17(107)

I love watching this trilogy of games!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    1987. Rounds 16-18

Swans 30.21(201)
    West Coast 10.11(71)

Swans 36.20(236)
    Essendon 11.7(73)

Swans 31.12.(198)
    Richmond 15.17(107)

I love watching this trilogy of games!
    Only to become victim of the VFL's Vic-centric requirement of having to travel to Victoria to play away finals after finishing on top of the ladder and be eliminated in straight sets.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Only to become victim of the VFL's Vic-centric requirement of having to travel to Victoria to play away finals after finishing on top of the ladder and be eliminated in straight sets.
    IIRC in 1987 while, yes, we had to play away for finals, we were cruelled by injuries to some key players in the lead up and we probably lacked a first class ruckman at the time

And in 87 we did lose 3 of the final 4 games of the season (all in Victoria), with our only win coming against the lowly Fitzroy in the final round. In fact, after the trilogy, we ventured to Melbourne to play Carlton in a match that would determine top spot. It was rumoured that Hafey was disappointed that they didn’t score 200 against Richmond and flogged the players at training and we lost against Carlton which started a run of 3 consecutive losses in Melbourne. We finished the 87 season 3rd, not top, so our first final would have been against Hawthorn in Melbourne regardless. So it was only our semi-final against Melbourne that should have been at the SCG.

If I’m going to lament past performances, it’ll be that our star studded foreign legion sides of the early 1930s sides didn’t deliver more than one premiership from 4 consecutive grand final appearances … but I’m equally proud and fond of both eras - I can’t turn back time, but I can admire the performances.
    Last edited by goswannies; 21st February 2022 at 03:35 PM.

Last Thursday night on Fox Footy they showed in full 1987 R1 Collingwood v Sydney Swans at Vic Park. It was a legends tribute to Warwick Capper who kicked career best 9 goals & Swans smashing the Pies by near 80 points.

It was the first time i've the seen game in full, vididly remembering playing in my cricket comp GF and hearing score updates which i couldn't believe as it kept blowing out.

Upon the watching game (which i've recorded) i got frustrated how much even further in front we should've been at half time, missing quite a few gettable goals. This included Capper who had already kicked 7 goals by the 10 min mark in the 2nd qtr!!!! He should've kicked at least a dozen, but he was magnificent giving some away including from a Ruck contest.

Swans were magnificent & good to see some of our stars of the time shine. Enjoyed watching like it was first time & help soften the calamity of our GF loss, which still lurks.

Senior Player
    Last Thursday night on Fox Footy they showed in full 1987 R1 Collingwood v Sydney Swans at Vic Park. It was a legends tribute to Warwick Capper who kicked career best 9 goals & Swans smashing the Pies by near 80 points.

It was the first time i've the seen game in full, vididly remembering playing in my cricket comp GF and hearing score updates which i couldn't believe as it kept blowing out.

Upon the watching game (which i've recorded) i got frustrated how much even further in front we should've been at half time, missing quite a few gettable goals. This included Capper who had already kicked 7 goals by the 10 min mark in the 2nd qtr!!!! He should've kicked at least a dozen, but he was magnificent giving some away including from a Ruck contest.

Swans were magnificent & good to see some of our stars of the time shine. Enjoyed watching like it was first time & help soften the calamity of our GF loss, which still lurks.
    Seen that game a number of times. Feelgood factor very high!

FOX Footy showing classic games of the past. Last night caught 2011 R1 v Melbourne @ MCG. It was Longmire"s first game as Senior coach ( replacing Roos). First as co-captains for Adam Goodes / Jarryd McVeigh (replacing Brett Kirk).

We led all day till last the few mins with Ryan O'Keefe then snapping a late behind to draw game. Sam Reid is the only player that day who is (hopefully) still on our list. Luke Parker was also on our list in 2011, being his rookie season.

Match Highlights
    Melb v Syd: Match Summary - YouTube
    Last edited by KSAS; 17th November 2023 at 08:11 AM.

Veterans List
    FOX Footy showing classic games of the past. Last night caught 2011 R1 v Melbourne @ MCG. It was Longmire"s first game as Senior coach ( replacing Roos). First as co-captains for Adam Goodes / Jarryd McVeigh (replacing Brett Kirk).

We led all day till last the few mins with Ryan O'Keefe then snapping a late behind to draw game. Sam Reid is the only player that day who is (hopefully) still on our list. Luke Parker was also on our list in 2011, being his rookie season.

Match Highlights
    Melb v Syd: Match Summary - YouTube
    Was that the game where Seaby was sub?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast