Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: BBBH

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Imagine being a young Swan back then, having certain traits and characteristics being drilled into you and told it's non-negotiable, you either get on board or you don't make it. Then, on the other hand, you have one of the most damaging forwards in the modern era blatantly and continually disrespecting those same ideals.
    The easy thing to do would be to sit back and say nothing, but that contradicts what is being taught. What shows real character is standing up for the culture regardless of who is in question.

If it's 100% all in or nothing, then there can be no exceptions. Exceptions will erode a culture faster than a swinging left hook from BBBH.

What I find odd about your stance on Barry is you have banged on and on about how Papley is/was disrespectful to the umpires and needed to be brought into line. How can you be so blinkered when discussing Barry Hall, one of the most undisciplined players in his time?
    Your comparison with Papley is a good one and you have very correctly called out my hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    On a personal note, I stuck up for you a lot last year when you were being attacked for having your opinions.
    🥴🤢🤮

I’ll let you now face your ditractors head on without sticking up for you.
    Isn’t TB a veteran of 7 odd decades worth of revolving around the sun? He’s lucky to have had your support thus far. But a birds gotta leave the nest some time.

Suspended by the MRP
    I would hope that Corey and Chad were respecting the senior players particularly Franklin, Hickey, Rampe, Kennedy and Parker. These guys can get feedback from each other and not young players. It’s called respect.

On a personal note, I stuck up for you a lot last year when you were being attacked for having your opinions.

I’ll let you now face your ditractors head on without sticking up for you.
    You dont need to take it so personally , you were wrong on this one and admitted it yourself . But no worries , thank you for support but wasnt asked for . Being made out to be an oracle for every opinion i share is as bad as being attacked for them .

Veterans List
    Well, what an interesting outcome. I feel we've all come a full circle (two of you anyway) and can now hopefully reset (or maybe just close this thread).
    Last edited by stevoswan; 18th January 2022 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Well, what an interesting outcome. I feel we've all come a full circle (two of you anyway) and can now hopefully reset (or maybe just close this thread).
    Don’t close this thread. It’s a debate generator.

I will sum up BBBBH in the following points:

- I acknowledge that Barry like Tom Papley have moments of indiscipline where their on-field behaviour can give away free kicks and 50m penalties. Can people recall how many umpire abuse free kicks that Barry gave away. Papley gave away three umpire abuse free kicks in 2021 (I know because I ranted about each one). What’s fair for Papley has to be fair for Barry.

- I don’t back away from my view that young players shouldn’t be delivering negative feedback to Premiership Captain’s in group environments. As Barry said in the Mike Sheehan interview “the young player was trying to look like a leader”. Leadership is more than trying to look like a leader and I hope the young player whom Barry referred too (without naming) improved his leadership.

In my opinion, the only instance where a young player can provide feedback to an older champion is when that young player is in the leadership group.

- Barry was a champion, and the club walked taller on his shoulders. Despite Adam Goodes 2003 and 2006 Brownlow, Barry was the most important player during the 2003 - 2006 glory run.

- I acknowledge that Barry like Tom Papley have moments of indiscipline where their on-field behaviour can give away free kicks and 50m penalties. Can people recall how many umpire abuse free kicks that Barry gave away. Papley gave away three umpire abuse free kicks in 2021 (I know because I ranted about each one). What’s fair for Papley has to be fair for Barry.

- I don’t back away from my view that young players shouldn’t be delivering negative feedback to Premiership Captain’s in group environments. As Barry said in the Mike Sheehan interview “the young player was trying to look like a leader”. Leadership is more than trying to look like a leader and I hope the young player whom Barry referred too (without naming) improved his leadership.

In my opinion, the only instance where a young player can provide feedback to an older champion is when that young player is in the leadership group.

- Barry was a champion, and the club walked taller on his shoulders. Despite Adam Goodes 2003 and 2006 Brownlow, Barry was the most important player during the 2003 - 2006 glory run.
    A wise man knows when to stop.

My only point on this is about aggression. He had a lot of aggression, I'm not talking about the anger that caused the Staker incident. He played with the aggression needed to win premierships. There were other players in that side that played with the same aggression.

Matthews, Barry, Bolton, Bolton, Crouch, Roberts-Thompson, Kirk, Schneider, Fosdyke, Ablett all had plenty of grunt and manic attack on both player and ball. There were many more talented players who brought the aggression that day too. Goodes, Pebbles, Willo etc. Pressure is maintained by controlled aggression. Not by anger. This is the difference between the incidents that Barry was involved in and his other play. He maintained pressure on his opponent by controlled aggression and therefore benefitted.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

BBBH was great for us and I’m happy if he is back in the fold. But no one is above criticism and he DID let the club and his team mates down numerous times. Our game has moved on from the bad old days and there is no place for hitting an opposition player with a fist- period! Anyone who does this needs to be called out, even if by the tea lady!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    My only point on this is about aggression. He had a lot of aggression, I'm not talking about the anger that caused the Staker incident. He played with the aggression needed to win premierships. There were other players in that side that played with the same aggression.

Matthews, Barry, Bolton, Bolton, Crouch, Roberts-Thompson, Kirk, Schneider, Fosdyke, Ablett all had plenty of grunt and manic attack on both player and ball. There were many more talented players who brought the aggression that day too. Goodes, Pebbles, Willo etc. Pressure is maintained by controlled aggression. Not by anger. This is the difference between the incidents that Barry was involved in and his other play. He maintained pressure on his opponent by controlled aggression and therefore benefitted.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Don't forget Aamon Buchanan. Massive contributor in 2005/6. Hard as nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    BBBH was great for us and I’m happy if he is back in the fold. But no one is above criticism and he DID let the club and his team mates down numerous times. Our game has moved on from the bad old days and there is no place for hitting an opposition player with a fist- period! Anyone who does this needs to be called out, even if by the tea lady!
    +1

No mere mortal is above reproach. BJ's book highlights the microcosm of Bloods' culture well and how honest teammates are encouraged to be. If a young player is prepared to speak up, they're exhibiting leadership qualities as far as I'm concerned, not disrespect.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    +1

No mere mortal is above reproach. BJ's book highlights the microcosm of Bloods' culture well and how honest teammates are encouraged to be. If a young player is prepared to speak up, they're exhibiting leadership qualities as far as I'm concerned, not disrespect.
    I don't know if this is correct but I was told by another Swans fan that with Leading Teams, if you pointed out a deficiency in a teammate's skills or mindset, you were then responsible for helping that teammate fix the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    +1

That’s ridiculous. It’s the height of disrespect:

These are real world examples of the upstart lecturing Barry:

1) The medical resident can start lecturing the Chairmen of surgery in a group meeting:

2) The para legal can start lecturing the managing partner in a group environment

3 The work experience kid can start lecturing the CEO in a group meeting for playing golf with clients.

The young upstart and Barry are not equals despite sharing the same football field.

For a hypothetical, Chad has no right to ever lecture Franklin about anything to do with his football or preparation in a group meeting. Chad and Franklin are not equals. Chad’s trying to establish a senior career while Franklin is a Hall of Fame player. There would be no more Chadmania from me if I ever hear of him lecturing senior players in a group setting.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast