Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 174

Thread: BBBH

  1. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    What is exceptionally disappointing is that it was necessary for a young player to have to point this out to a veteran.

    Some would think that an experienced, important member of the team would know better.

    I guess not everyone can see this
    We can look at it this way.

    How many young Swans did Barry protect in his Swans career? If you were a young LRT or McVeigh you would have felt safer being on that field with Barry alongside you. Opposition players most probably left our young players alone because they didn’t want to risk the wrath of Barry?

    Barry’s very presence gave our young guys and team confidence.

    Would Carlton in 2017 have physicaly gone after a young Mills at the MCG if Barry was close by?

    How many parents of young Swans players felt better knowing that Barry was their to protect their sons?

    He was an amazing player and his influence on the Swans during his time was unparalleled.

    It’s sad that many fans have taken the Paul Roos position of how Barry let the the team down.

    I’m glad that Barry finished his career well under Rodney Eade at the Bulldogs. He said after retirement in 2011 that he saw himself as a Bulldog despite being a Saint and a Swan.

    It’s good that the Swans and Barry are coming back together now.

  2. #26
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    5,329
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Brent Staker.
    Glass jaw Brent Staker, went down far too easily for a minor fist to the jaw!

  3. #27
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    6,648
    The harping continues (and this subject has rightly become it's own thread.....good move mod's). You make a few good points which most would agree with but the fact remains BBBH still let the team and the club down at crucial points of his career.

    While he was a champion of our club and definitely contributed to our success, he also had inexcusable brain fades which brought disrepute to our club. Bangalore, in life we have to take the good with the bad. You seem to struggle with this concept.

    The last sentence of your post is the pertinent one....and proves his final statement at the end of his career about 'being a Bulldog' was BS and said 'in heat of the moment'. He is a Swan....and while the club rightly let him go, they never turned their back on him.....and thankfully, he has come to realise where his heart lies.

    It seems he has moved on from the 'young upstarts'....you should too.

  4. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The harping continues (and this subject has rightly become it's own thread.....good move mod's). You make a few good points which most would agree with but the fact remains BBBH still let the team and the club down at crucial points of his career.

    While he was a champion of our club and definitely contributed to our success, he also had inexcusable brain fades which brought disrepute to our club. Bangalore, in life we have to take the good with the bad. You seem to struggle with this concept.

    The last sentence of your post is the pertinent one....and proves his final statement at the end of his career about 'being a Bulldog' was BS and said 'in heat of the moment'. He is a Swan....and while the club rightly let him go, they never turned their back on him.....and thankfully, he has come to realise where his heart lies.

    It seems he has moved on from the 'young upstarts'....you should too.
    He confirmed his comments on the Bulldogs in an interview with Mike Sheehan a couple of years after he retired. That is hardly “heat of the moment stuff”. He had time to consider his comments before the Mike Sheehan interview.

    I’m happy to apply Stevo’s interpretation of people’s comments to “heat of the moment”scenario’s.

    In Stevo’a interpretation there is nothing to read into Gill’s “you can’t have everyone comments”. Stevo believes that Barry made his comments in the heat of the moment and I assume Stevo also believes that Gill made his comment on the Swans “in the heat of the moment”.

    The rules on “heat of the moment” comments will be the same for both Barry and Gill.

  5. #29
    Reefer Madness
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in a yellow submarine
    Posts
    2,820
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yeah, so look, I largely found this thread a non-event.

    But whenever anyone, anywhere, in any context, seems to give even a sliver of allowance or assumption of good faith to Gil, they’ve lost the plot.

    A contemptible human. He should’ve been taken out to the woodshed long ago.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

  6. #30
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    6,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    He confirmed his comments on the Bulldogs in an interview with Mike Sheehan a couple of years after he retired. That is hardly “heat of the moment stuff”. He had time to consider his comments before the Mike Sheehan interview.

    I’m happy to apply Stevo’s interpretation of people’s comments to “heat of the moment”scenario’s.

    In Stevo’a interpretation there is nothing to read into Gill’s “you can’t have everyone comments”. Stevo believes that Barry made his comments in the heat of the moment and I assume Stevo also believes that Gill made his comment on the Swans “in the heat of the moment”.

    The rules on “heat of the moment” comments will be the same for both Barry and Gill.
    Whatever you reckon BS. So he holds onto a grudge then.....he has still come around hasn't he. Same result. Oh and your analogy is ridiculous.

  7. #31
    Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    We can look at it this way.

    How many young Swans did Barry protect in his Swans career? If you were a young LRT or McVeigh you would have felt safer being on that field with Barry alongside you. Opposition players most probably left our young players alone because they didn’t want to risk the wrath of Barry?

    Barry’s very presence gave our young guys and team confidence.

    Would Carlton in 2017 have physicaly gone after a young Mills at the MCG if Barry was close by?

    How many parents of young Swans players felt better knowing that Barry was their to protect their sons?

    He was an amazing player and his influence on the Swans during his time was unparalleled.

    It’s sad that many fans have taken the Paul Roos position of how Barry let the the team down.

    I’m glad that Barry finished his career well under Rodney Eade at the Bulldogs. He said after retirement in 2011 that he saw himself as a Bulldog despite being a Saint and a Swan.

    It’s good that the Swans and Barry are coming back together now.
    Imagine being a young Swan back then, having certain traits and characteristics being drilled into you and told it's non-negotiable, you either get on board or you don't make it. Then, on the other hand, you have one of the most damaging forwards in the modern era blatantly and continually disrespecting those same ideals.
    The easy thing to do would be to sit back and say nothing, but that contradicts what is being taught. What shows real character is standing up for the culture regardless of who is in question.

    If it's 100% all in or nothing, then there can be no exceptions. Exceptions will erode a culture faster than a swinging left hook from BBBH.

    What I find odd about your stance on Barry is you have banged on and on about how Papley is/was disrespectful to the umpires and needed to be brought into line. How can you be so blinkered when discussing Barry Hall, one of the most undisciplined players in his time?

  8. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Imagine being a young Swan back then, having certain traits and characteristics being drilled into you and told it's non-negotiable, you either get on board or you don't make it. Then, on the other hand, you have one of the most damaging forwards in the modern era blatantly and continually disrespecting those same ideals.
    The easy thing to do would be to sit back and say nothing, but that contradicts what is being taught. What shows real character is standing up for the culture regardless of who is in question.

    If it's 100% all in or nothing, then there can be no exceptions. Exceptions will erode a culture faster than a swinging left hook from BBBH.

    What I find odd about your stance on Barry is you have banged on and on about how Papley is/was disrespectful to the umpires and needed to be brought into line. How can you be so blinkered when discussing Barry Hall, one of the most undisciplined players in his time?
    When you are merely trying to provoke people, the rules of logic don't apply.

  9. #33
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    1,645
    Well done all for taking the bait by BS . if Chad or Corey warner had gone up to Barry and told him to pull his head in , BS would be on hand ready to give them the Cross of Valour !

    Dont bother with it

  10. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Well done all for taking the bait by BS . if Chad or Corey warner had gone up to Barry and told him to pull his head in , BS would be on hand ready to give them the Cross of Valour !

    Dont bother with it
    Good to hear that you're on the mend from COVID TB.

    On the BH subject, I recall him saying that he absolutely regrets throwing that punch as Staker shouldn't have to live with being remembered for that incident.

    He also hated the Big Bad prefix as he felt typecast. I'm paraphrasing of course and can't recall the sources, whether they were from a book or interview.

    Regardless, it was great to see the footage of him at our club. I hope that relationship and his involvement grows.

  11. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Well done all for taking the bait by BS . if Chad or Corey warner had gone up to Barry and told him to pull his head in , BS would be on hand ready to give them the Cross of Valour !

    Dont bother with it
    I would hope that Corey and Chad were respecting the senior players particularly Franklin, Hickey, Rampe, Kennedy and Parker. These guys can get feedback from each other and not young players. It’s called respect.

    On a personal note, I stuck up for you a lot last year when you were being attacked for having your opinions.

    I’ll let you now face your ditractors head on without sticking up for you.

  12. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I would hope that Corey and Chad were respecting the senior players particularly Franklin, Hickey, Rampe, Kennedy and Parker. These guys can get feedback from each other and not young players. It’s called respect.

    On a personal note, I stuck up for you a lot last year when you were being attacked for having your opinions.

    I’ll let you now face your ditractors head on without sticking up for you.
    Well that's a relief. And I'll bet it is for you too TB.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO