Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Lewis Roberts Thompson the greatest swan ever?

Is Lewis Roberts Thompson the greatest swan ever?

I think so.

He is the ultimate big game player.
    He played in our 2 most recent premierships.
    Once as a key defender in 2005, and then backed it up as a key forward (our only key forward) in 2012.

Some players were more flashy, but as solid, immovable, rocks to build a premiership around, LRT did it, at both ends.

Other lesser know facts about LRT.
    He was named in the 2001 under-18 All-Australian team, despite having played less than 40 games of AFL (at any level).
    He was nominated for the Rising Star in his tenth AFL game in 2003.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I love the LRT.

[As an aside, I once - very early in his career - sledged him badly on a post in here, and it taught me a lot about going hard, early, on young players. So I try to resist overt bagging of them and besides, they are all Swans, wanting us to win.]

What he went onto do with his career was stellar. I suspect he was the sort of players the coaches just damned loved. He was competitive, coachable, dependable, self-effacing and given his flexibility, it suggested a high footy IQ. His first half of the '05 grand final was just outstanding, and what he did to give us a focal point in the first half of the '12 GF, and his role in defence in the last quarter when he took - what, four or five marks - should never be under sold.

The simple fact is there are only five two-time premiership players in our club's entire history. He is one, and that makes him a legend.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

What about Belcher in addition to Goodes and LRT?

Just realised you said 5 (not 2 - as I had imagined when I wrote my comment). Now I am wondering who the others are. Are you harking back to the VFA days and players who played in the 1880s or do you mean within the VFL/AFL era?
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 19th January 2022 at 10:47 AM.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I suspect he was the sort of players the coaches just damned loved. He was competitive, coachable, dependable, self-effacing and given his flexibility, it suggested a high footy IQ.
    I remember Leigh Matthews and Mick Malthouse absolutely gushing about him at various times while they were commentating. High praise.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Just realised you said 5 (not 2 - as I had imagined when I wrote my comment). Now I am wondering who the others are. Are you harking back to the VFA days and players who played in the 1880s or do you mean within the VFL/AFL era?
    ROK is one.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    ROK is one.
    Jude Bolton too.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Great pick up, there, on Vic Belcher!

I thought Goodesy, Jude, R'OK and LRT were our only dual premiership players but I did a bit of research after your post and Belcher did play in our 1909 and 1918 Premiership sides.

All 5 of our dual Premiership players only played senior footy for us, I think?

Belcher went on to coach Fitzroy but only played for us.

Veterans List
    LRT was really influential in a final against Port in 2003 in Adelaide, we were severely depleted, Port were red hot favourites and we won against huge odds.

One of the most enjoyable games I've ever attended.

An very under rated player LRT and by all reports a quality person. What's he up to nowadays?

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    LRT was really influential in a final against Port in 2003 in Adelaide, we were severely depleted, Port were red hot favourites and we won against huge odds.

An very under rated player LRT and by all reports a quality person. What's he up to nowadays?
    Google says he owns and runs a project management firm. He looks very professional.

Attachment 2334

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Perhaps among other things he works as a player agent for Vivid Sport: Lewis Roberts-Thomson – Vivid Sport. They manage Braeden Campbell and Tom Hickey, among others.

He also shows up pretty often at Swans practice matches, training and other club events - sometimes with tiny, fluffy dog.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    ROK is one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Jude Bolton too.
    How quickly we (well... I) forget!

- - - Updated - - -

I actually named my younger son Jude, partly in homage to Jude Bolton!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Perhaps among other things he works as a player agent for Vivid Sport: Lewis Roberts-Thomson – Vivid Sport. They manage Braeden Campbell and Tom Hickey, among others.

He also shows up pretty often at Swans practice matches, training and other club events - sometimes with tiny, fluffy dog.

- - - Updated - - -

How quickly we (well... I) forget!

- - - Updated - - -

I actually named my younger son Jude, partly in homage to Jude Bolton!
    You should be ashamed bloodspirit, ashamed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Google says he owns and runs a project management firm. He looks very professional.

Attachment 2334
    He has been doing very well in the business world I understand - good on him. A lovely bloke - had a few chats at different times with him over the years, an underrated footballer and a good bloke!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast