Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Predictions for Season 2022

Predictions for Season 2022

Thought it would be a good time to do this.. any later and it becomes easy as we have a better idea of who is injured, out of form etc and we don't want it to be too easy do we! I know we already have the list, hopes and dreams thread but that is more for a general open discussion about the year ahead! This one is for PREDICTIONS and predictions only! Give it your best shot people!! Don't be afraid to go bold! Sometimes the predictions that are seen as the craziest are the ones that age the best! Either way it will be good fun to be able to look back at the end of the year and see how we all went!!

Note - Please keep it civil! Do not judge each other's contributions as they are just predictions and it is just a bit of fun!

I will kick things off!!

Predicted finish - 4th! An improvement on last year but we might be one more year away from being the best! We might go out in a semi final or maybe even a prelim.

Best and fairest - My heart says Parker but im gonna go with my head and say Mills! 2nd year in the mids he is primed for a big one.

Rising star - Logan McDonald.. another year into the kid, he will be even better than the promise he showed early last season.

Most improved - Oliver Florent.. he will finally deliver a consistent season and show everyone in the comp what he can do!

Top 5 b&f bolter - I was gonna say Juzzy but he already finished 7th last yr so it wouldn't be much of a bolt!! So I have gone with Chad Warner.. "The Chad" is such an explosive player and the kind of X factor who will surprise many to bolt into the top five.

Leading goalkicker - Hard to go past Lance!!

Surprise package - Every year there is someone who isn't rated by many but turns things around .. we have seen it with Harry C, Robbie Fox and last year Hickey! This year it will be... Sam Reid.. there was some confusion why he was kept and many believed we didn't need him. I predict he will go back in defence and play the majority of the season!

Headline you will see - "Is this the best rebuild of the modern era?"

Let's hear what you guys think!

CHEER CHEER

I like it, NB, and largely agree (boring!). I'll only add where I differ.

Most improved: I think (hope) this will be hotly contested. I don't see Florent winning it. Maybe Stephens or Campbell or Blakey or McLean or Amartey or Gould? I'll try Stephens.

B&F bolter: Tom McCartin

Surprise package: Paddy?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Okay, I'll play: but since I'm giving it little thought and doing even less research, I in no way want to be held to any predictions.

Finish: Premiers. I haven't felt so bullish about a season for ages.

B & F: Heeney. An injury free season and more of a roving commission, culminates in a Dusty like finals performance or two.

Rising Star: Campbell. I expect him to play much more regularly, with more midfield time: which should enable him to show off just how talented he is.

Most Improved: I'm hoping that Stephens puts last year's disappointing season behind him and conclusively demonstrates why we took him at pick 5.

B& F Bolter: I don't think Blakey has had a high finish before, so Blakey.

Surprise Packet: Paddy McCartin.

Headline: headline writers love bad puns, so, Golden Gulden.

From a competition perspective:
    Hawthorn to win the wooden spoon.
    Melbourne finishes outside top 4 (improves our 2022 future pick for Dawson).
    Both WA teams relocate to Tassie because of the continuing WA border closure.

From a Swans perspective:
    We play off in GF against Port. Ladhams wins Norm Smith. Parker raises Cup.
    Buddy wins Coleman & Brownlow kicking 70+ goals. (voting skewed away from being just a midfielders medal).
    B&F: Erroll Gulden
    AFL Rising Star: Matt Roberts
    Most Improved: Will Gould
    Best clubman: Callum Sinclair
    Luke Parker named as All Australian Captain, with Heeney, Papley, Buddy & Tom McCartin also making team.
    Buddy signs 12 month contract extension
    Heeney signs 5 year contract.
    Last edited by KSAS; 22nd January 2022 at 09:19 AM.

It's a tough one

With Jamarra no1 draft pick two years no doubt starting to feature more in the GF runners up Bulldogs team

Melbourne having arguably the most explosive midfield along with the superior afl backline.

Port a very tricky team for us to dismantle.

I see us as 4th but depending always on injuries leading into a finals series being equally competitive and willing to win a GF.

I suspect our best chance is with a first 22 that still has the experinece and contribution from Kennedy and Franklin ie 2022 most likely.

B&F - Mills ......if this happens we will have a midfield hard to beat.

Most improved - Florent......once again if the lift comes from our midfield then we have a very compelling argument for a GF.

Rising Star - McDonald ....well that would be my dream ie 40 goals plus

And add to it some of the KSAS hopes and dreams and we have a GF winning team

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Prediction: JMac and Heeney playing as our starting wingers, with both licensed to roll into the centre square now and then, and Heeney playing as our offensive winger and JMac more the defensive, and I am very happy. We have two potential AAs on our hands.

Alternative prediction: JMac pushed back into the role he finished 2021 as a starting defender, and I am very unhappy. I’ll need to join the other AA. Well, that was arguably the case long ago but timing is irrelevant here.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

The 2021 game we played the Dogs there was no :

Treloar
    Dunkley
    Wood
    Naughtiness
    Crozier
    Martin
    Lipinski
    Schache

So I felt we didn't get a good sense of bulldogs vs swans even though we won

I've got a good feeling about both our 3rd year SA boys, Dylan and Will.

Dylan looks like a beast now and I think 2022 is where we see the rise of a future inside bull (along with Chad and RB of course). He's now got bulk to go with the speed - hoping he will be unstoppable.

We have been saying this for the last 24 months but Will Gould really looks in good Nick and ripe to make an impact. He reminds me of Dawson in so many ways. Kept back in reserves to work on his game and most importantly, get AFL fit. I feel he is now ready to do some damage with his incisive kicking and rebound out of defence.

One last prediction - wouldn't be surprised if Amartey and McLean play the tall forward / relief ruck role more than Ladhams. Suspect Ladhams will play when Hickey is out.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post

Dylan looks like a beast now and I think 2022 is where we see the rise of a future inside bull (along with Chad and RB of course). He's now got bulk to go with the speed - hoping he will be unstoppable.

We have been saying this for the last 24 months but Will Gould really looks in good Nick and ripe to make an impact. He reminds me of Dawson in so many ways. Kept back in reserves to work on his game and most importantly, get AFL fit. I feel he is now ready to do some damage with his incisive kicking and rebound out of defence.

One last prediction - wouldn't be surprised if Amartey and McLean play the tall forward / relief ruck role more than Ladhams. Suspect Ladhams will play when Hickey is out.
    I suspect the way to look at Hickey, Ladhams, Bud, Logan, Amartey and McLean is as a rotational collective.

The first four are likely Hicks, Ladhams, Logan and Buddy. But rucks aren’t likely to play every game, so when Hick is out, Ladhams goes to first ruck and either McLean or Amartey come in as a second ruck.

They’ll probably manage Bud again, and 15-17 games is probably realistic for Logan this year, so again - Amartey and McLean rotate in through those matches.

A function of factors should still give plenty of game time to Amartey and McLean. I personally think McLean is slightly ahead as a forward, and Amartey the better ruck - but it’s good depth to have. Neither are yet projecting as stars, but they showed last year they can do a job at times, and hopefully they continue to develop.

I haven’t included Reid here as my assumption is he’s been given a cheap, one-year extension to see if he can make it as a defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post

I too hope that Stephen’s will be able to make a positive impact this year in the face of two significant losses in Dawson and Hewitt, but, my concern with his game has always been his lack of spatial awareness and that only comes with more game time and experience.

The selectors will have to be patient with him and allow him enough game time to gain the necessary radar much like Florent and Blakey have in the past.

I am constantly amazed by the lack of patience, we give to players who have given great service and through no fault of their own lose form, suffer injury or fall foul of the selectors through increased competition for their position.
    Sam Reid was one of the most significant reasons that the club rose to the GF in 2012. He has been unlucky with injuries and as a result has failed to achieve the potential he heralded in that memorable season.
    He is wayward in front of goals but his ability to take contested marks and create opportunities for our elite smalls was a feature of the few games he was able to play last year.
    He has more speed off the mark than MacClean, is cleaner in marking contests than Franklin and Amartey, reads the play better than Ladhams (based on his efforts for Port) and is steeped in the Bloods culture.
    I am unashamedly biased when it comes to loyalty and opportunity for those that have always placed the team first. Watching Sam play, you can see how committed he is to every contest be it in the air or on the ground and I am so bitter that he was in the middle of the Tippett, Mumford, COLA nightmare because I believe his ambitions were confounded by those times.
    I realise that he has limited time but I would love to see him get a fair run with injuries. Honestly, he is not suited to the backline, he is too easily blocked by opposition teams. Franklin further up the ground, Armartey in the goal square and Reid pinch hitting either for Buddy, Armartey or Hickey off the bench, even as a floater down back. He is extremely versatile and reliable in that role, moreover, it would allow him a longer lifespan and less likelihood of injury.
    He deserves a good year after many seasons in the rehab. He is a proven performer in finals and his experience cannot be easily traded off.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think unfortunately for Sam, his own body and the long-term planning of the club for post Bud has got in his way.

Clearly, they’ve recruited Ladhams as Hickey’s successor, but he’ll play a chunk of games up front. Logan needs to be given as many games as his maturing body allows. 15-17 for 25 goals would be terrific for a second year KPF.

I noted above the role McLean and Amartey will play as part of a rotational collective. Then there is Bud.

Sam has been unfortunate and when he plays well, he’s an excellent contributor. But footy is brutal.

He’s been offered a cheap one year contract to see if he can fill a hole down back whilst we are light on down there and otherwise thereabouts. I’m not convinced he’ll succeed either, but hope he does.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast