Page 115 of 198 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125165 ... LastLast
Results 1,369 to 1,380 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Many of these guys who most would rank 23-30 or so on our list will likely get plenty of opportunities next year (assuming they
    are still contracted then) as our injury free run is not going to last forever. I think it's a big part of why we are even in the Prelim.
    Just one more winning game to get through without anyone going down.
    I’d think the turnaround in fortune of Reid and Fox would keep those fringe players motivated?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Didnt i say look elsewhere
    What you actually said before that, in reply to your earlier statement that a dozen of our list can go, is that you were including the retirements.

You specifically said retirements, with no mention of delistings or being traded out.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    What you actually said before that, in reply to your earlier statement that a dozen of our list can go, is that you were including the retirements.

You specifically said retirements, with no mention of delistings or being traded out.
    INCLUDING retirements . Not ONLY retirements

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I’d think the turnaround in fortune of Reid and Fox would keep those fringe players motivated?
    Yeah sure. I think so called fringe players just need to be versatile. Even in winning teams spots will open up and the more
    versatile you are as a footballer the greater your chance of filling a spot. It seems weird now that everyone was calling Reid
    a fringe player, but he sort of was for quite a while there.
    He has always been versatile but for some reason everything has clicked this year and he has just been brilliant for us.
    It helps a lot that he has so much experience on the footy field. If it gets very tight at the end of Q4 on Saturday we're
    going to need some calm heads.
    And Fox? He is like a different person this year. And he's 28 I think and has been around in footy for a while. Maybe he is just
    a late bloomer. Uncommon in footy but common in lots of other sports. It's really good for him and the team that everything
    has fallen into place this year.

When I look at our list, I think there are some obvious ones who will go: Kennedy, Sinclair, Naismith (Rookie list at best), Ronke, Taylor, O'Connor, big Stretch in the Reserves. Retiring or no trade value.

Then we have those out of contract but potentially in demand elsewhere: Lloyd, Cunningham, Gould. Hopefully, we re-contract both but not certain they will accept our offers which may be well below others. For example, North might be prepared to pay a lot to get their experience.

Then those still under contract but who may ask to be traded for more opportunities elsewhere: Pelican, McLean, Wicks, Armetey. A couple of these could go unless we play hardball.

So we could easily see 10 list changes which is pretty normal turnover these days.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    When I look at our list, I think there are some obvious ones who will go: Kennedy, Sinclair, Naismith (Rookie list at best), Ronke, Taylor, O'Connor, big Stretch in the Reserves. Retiring or no trade value.

Then we have those out of contract but potentially in demand elsewhere: Lloyd, Cunningham, Gould. Hopefully, we re-contract both but not certain they will accept our offers which may be well below others. For example, North might be prepared to pay a lot to get their experience.

Then those still under contract but who may ask to be traded for more opportunities elsewhere: Pelican, McLean, Wicks, Armetey. A couple of these could go unless we play hardball.

So we could easily see 10 list changes which is pretty normal turnover these days.
    But i got my head bitten off for saying this

Veterans List
    Trade period, as well as overflowing with BS from journalists, also throws up out of the blue trades and delistings.

We also haven't heard from the AFL, who are always 11th hour with these type of announcements, what is happening to list sizes now the Covid crisis has passed. A return of the cut two list spots would help us a lot this year.

I don't envy the lot of our list management to make all those calls, particularly with so few obvious outs in our list.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    But i got my head bitten off for saying this
    Except you didn't say what April said in what was a well considered, clearly worded and well explained post.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Many of these guys who most would rank 23-30 or so on our list will likely get plenty of opportunities next year (assuming they
    are still contracted then) as our injury free run is not going to last forever. I think it's a big part of why we are even in the Prelim.
    Just one more winning game to get through without anyone going down.
    Agree with that KTigers. We’ve had a great run with injuries and can’t expect it to last. Therefore McLean and Amartey are needed as back-up for talls, especially if Buddy retires or leaves. ( He would be silly to leave).

Naismith should be given a year to see if his body stands up to the rigours of AFL and in any case he can take Sinker’s spot in the ressies as backup. We have invested so much in him- makes no sense to me to let him go now.

Lloyd and Harry are defo needed and Gould surely deserves a go- look at the improvement in the Fox after we nearly let him go. The others on the “hit” list are needed in our VFL side as we can’t just field Academy top-ups.

So I don’t see where TB gets his numbers from- we don’t need a massive clean out and I don’t think that will or should happen. Our draft picks should yield the required KP’s we’re looking for and I don’t think we will trade anyone in unless someone special decides to want to come to us.

I'm not sure if I heard right, but I thought when the name Griffin Logue came up during a trade talk segment on AFL Tonight, they said North Melbourne and Sydney were the clubs interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm not sure if I heard right, but I thought when the name Griffin Logue came up during a trade talk segment on AFL Tonight, they said North Melbourne and Sydney were the clubs interested.
    That's interesting but also surprising. I rate Griffin as a player but I think of him as a defender and, suddenly, we seem to be well stocked with defenders having the McCartins and Rampe with Gould and Melican as depth. I know he's been played forward by Freo so potentially we could just recruit him as a generic KPP and play him where we need him.

There's always the chance that we could send one of the McCartins back forward but I don't think it should be Tom unless we need to and it seems to have worked out so well for Paddy playing down back and playing with his brother.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    He would be a handy pickup given his ability to play forward or back. North will outbid us but we have the lure of a team in the premiership window whereas North certainly cannot say that.