Page 2 of 198 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    This is a good observation. He has elite footy IQ. To me, he's at the level of a Jarrad McVeigh or Sam Mitchell (I know) or Scott Pendlebury.

In the first half of the last year, he was largely playing a small/half forward role, but after his return from injury he was sliding further and further up the field at times and his decision making was even more evident in congestion.

I think I joked on here last year that he could play full back on Ben King and find a way to get the job done.
    I forget who it was against, but one of the opposing talls reached up for a mark, but unfortunately for him, Errol sauntered up behind him, leapt high and imperiously smacked the ball out of bounds. It was one of many Gulden moments, where I thought to myself, 'gee that was good'.

Footy IQ is an interesting topic. I suspect that it has a lot to do with both the ability to see more of the field than other players and the speed at which a wide array of options can be assessed. Though to explain what I really mean by those nebulous statements, I'll probably have to write an essay length post, and the trading thread might not be the place for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I just saw a preview of the upcoming series on Stan called "Show Me The Money".

It's a 3 part documentary into the 2021 trading period, starting on March 10. I really like the idea of the show but just looking at the preview, it looks like a vehicle for player agents to spruik themselves.
    A documentary called Show Me the Money, involving player agents spruiking themselves? I think I'd rather watch a nature documentary called Show Me the Monkey. Then again, I did love the French series, Call My Agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I just saw a preview of the upcoming series on Stan called "Show Me The Money".

It's a 3 part documentary into the 2021 trading period, starting on March 10. I really like the idea of the show but just looking at the preview, it looks like a vehicle for player agents to spruik themselves.
    I wonder whether they will cover the saga of how we got screwed over by Adelaide with Dawson?

Sights and sounds - Up close at training 28.01.22 - YouTube

Lachlan McAndrew | AFL

I must say Lachlan's competitiveness and raw diamond approach is starting to catch my attention.

I have only popped into one off season training but young "Sticksy" is now 101kg and 4kg heavier than Hickey............check out 1min 38 seconds in on this footage and the repeated efforts and chase on nullifying Gulden.

Also our other Sticksy young Lizard took the scared option when Lachlan was raging in for the high ball one on one

We have time with Lachlan and he has one of the best teaching him........plus our rotation of rucks is deep and competitive right now.......Sinclair probably retiring end of 2022. Naismith low odds but possible as a come back. Ladhams and Hickey solid one to combo and McAndrew soaking it all up in this nursery !

2mins 35 seconds in McAndrew owns Ladhams and exist with a kick from the contest

he truly is the next huntsman spider with those long arms

and maybe an important keeper on our 2023 list and beyond
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

First Errol, now Ramped has extended - but only for one additional season: Off the table: Co-captain turns back on free agency to stay a Swan.

Seems slightly strange to me to sign him to such a short extension so early in the season, but I'm delighted. Love Rampe. Not just co-captain, but one of our spiritual leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    First Errol, now Ramped has extended - but only for one additional season: Off the table: Co-captain turns back on free agency to stay a Swan.

Seems slightly strange to me to sign him to such a short extension so early in the season, but I'm delighted. Love Rampe. Not just co-captain, but one of our spiritual leaders.
    I'm only speculating but there are trade-offs with all negotiations. For someone like Dane, it is in his best interest to sign as early as possible to mitigate risks of career-ending injury. Therefore, instead of getting every possible cent out of the club, the contract is agreed to early. Rampe can concentrate on his football and the recruiters can focus on Heeney & McDonald.

Agree AB
    And I suspect that most players once 31yrs ish are on a year by year

The Hawks had the policy for a while and so to Geelong

Plus if we provide a strong 1 year contract now while we can afford it Dane will probably receive a little less in the later years which is a nice win win for the club and player.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I wonder whether they will cover the saga of how we got screwed over by Adelaide with Dawson?
    Apparently was outstanding yesterday playing in the middle in Crows internal trial :-(

It still hurts!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I forget who it was against, but one of the opposing talls reached up for a mark, but unfortunately for him, Errol sauntered up behind him, leapt high and imperiously smacked the ball out of bounds. It was one of many Gulden moments, where I thought to myself, 'gee that was good'.

Footy IQ is an interesting topic. I suspect that it has a lot to do with both the ability to see more of the field than other players and the speed at which a wide array of options can be assessed. Though to explain what I really mean by those nebulous statements, I'll probably have to write an essay length post, and the trading thread might not be the place for that.

I'm with you Deja.

The exceptionals see more options, more quickly, decide which is the optimal and while simultaneously finding space deliver the ball exactly where it should go.

Any one of these skills is wonderful, two are fantastic and all three spell CHAMPION of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Apparently was outstanding yesterday playing in the middle in Crows internal trial :-(

It still hurts!
    Yes, still hurts, but he chose to be with a club that ain’t going anywhere soon, rather than stay with us.

Do we want a player, no matter how good, who doesn’t want to be part of this team? He said he wants to be part of building a team to challenge-he had that here and then some! We will miss him but the gap will be filled and I can’t wait for us to smash them!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Yes, still hurts, but he chose to be with a club that ain’t going anywhere soon, rather than stay with us.

Do we want a player, no matter how good, who doesn’t want to be part of this team? He said he wants to be part of building a team to challenge-he had that here and then some! We will miss him but the gap will be filled and I can’t wait for us to smash them!
    Hi roadrunner,

I wonder if seeing how quickly we were able to rebound from a few years on the bottom gave Jordan some confidence that the Crows could do the same.. they have some fantastic young talent, perhaps he thought wearing a year or two of battling would be worth it for the turnaround, especially if he gets to be nearer to his family when that turnaround happens!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hi roadrunner,

I wonder if seeing how quickly we were able to rebound from a few years on the bottom gave Jordan some confidence that the Crows could do the same.. they have some fantastic young talent, perhaps he thought wearing a year or two of battling would be worth it for the turnaround, especially if he gets to be nearer to his family when that turnaround happens!
    If that's true it shows that he was never a true Blood....that his heart was always in Adelaide. We have far better young talent so good riddance to him. I hope he never has success at the Crows.