Page 188 of 198 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192 ... LastLast
Results 2,245 to 2,256 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Have you got it all on a whiteboard Liz? Seems the only way to keep track of lists.

The draft picks seem to be allocated before upgrades as Adelaide has three picks but will only take one player because the other two spots are needed for two upgrades.

That would indicate we can use three at the ND and the other two are for McLean and Wicks. We're a long way down the pecking order in the RD, pick 17.

Be easier if the club just posted a pic of their whiteboard for us all to see LOL All be much clearer in eight days time.
    If the list spots were before taking account of rookie elevations, the AFL would have given us seven picks in the National Draft.

We started with a senior list of 36, lost six and added one, leaving 31 senior listed players. We would then have seven picks available to take us to the maximum of 38.

You can therefore deduce that the list spots (and thus allocated picks in the National Draft) must be after rookie elevations.

I have heard a few comment that Adelaide will only take one player in the ND but I don't know how that works. The standard rule has, for a long time, been that clubs have to take at least three players in the National Draft, but that one of those spots (but not more than one) can be accounted for by an elevated rookie.

IIRC correctly they temporarily tweaked this after the 2020 season when list sizes where trimmed down in the COVID-affected period. But my understanding was that this was a one-off change only.

I guess we'll see next Monday/Tuesday how many players the Crows take in the ND. I believe it will be at least two.

Trying to keep track of AFL rules falls somewhere between courage and insanity.

BTW 707, I've been using an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of players. A 9x5 grid works well. You can move the players around with the mouse. It's just like moving magnets on a whiteboard. And it's easy to keep track of player numbers, even if you are a fingers and toes counter.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 22nd November 2022 at 07:16 PM.

Veterans List
    It all just makes my head explode at times :-) and I'm a numbers type of guy!

I've gone through the 2022 list name by name to understand it, on an xls, as the club won't send me that whiteboard pic.

We have 31 on the main list

Upgrade McLean and Wicks gets us to 33

Draft three players takes us to 36 which has been our usual practice in the recent past

Positions 37 & 38 can be as main list or rookie list

We have four on the Cat A rookie list, Fox, P McCartin, McAndrew, Hall-Khan

We have Sheather on the Cat B rookie list, we don't know if he needs to be moved to the Cat A list.

If we draft three players in the ND, we then have either two Cat A and one Cat B or one Cat A and two Cat B vacancies
    Last edited by 707; 22nd November 2022 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    It all just makes my head explode at times :-) and I'm a numbers type of guy!
    I usually like going into the detail of those sorts of things, but wrote in a previous post that I stopped doing the rookie list count, because it just wasn't worth the bother.

For one, Liz is always on top of these things and rarely, if ever, makes a mistake. So we already have someone on here doing a very accurate count.

The second thing is that the numbers between main list and rookie list is easy to fix up to fall into the AFL slots, so it's not worth sweating over when you know its going to work out in the end. I try to keep track of the open list spots in total, which I find leads to the right answer when draft night rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Trying to keep track of AFL rules falls somewhere between courage and insanity.
    I know; I've long given up. However, I always find Liz's explanations convincing. So on that basis, I think we should nominate her, to take over Brad Scott's old job of AFL's Head of Football (whatever that is).

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    We now have 3 sets of brothers at the club! (The Warners, McCartins & McVeighs).
    Actually four. If you're going to count Mark McVeigh as academy coach, surely you should also count the VFL squad?

Regular in the Side
    Could make it five if we draft Logan's brother Connor. Does not look too bad for our late pick or a rookie slot.

Hamilton sisters in AFLW; get a transfer for the Rowbottom sister from Brisbane would help in many respects.

But please, no calling us "the family club"

Veterans List
    Gulden brothers?

Hawthorn the "family" club is now the only club still operating family busting pokies?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    ......get a transfer for the Rowbottom sister from Brisbane would help in many respects."
    Yes please! Charlie is a star.

My humble apologies for screwing the draft thread after coping The West Australian url on Elijah Taylor nominating for draft. Can moderator please please fix & again my sincere apologies

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yes please! Charlie is a star.
    James said he tried. He was clearly unsuccessful but he didn't say she categorically ruled it out. Hope springs eternal. ;-)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)