Page 39 of 198 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Agreed about Ollie. He has pace and a bit of class as he showed in that great bit of forward play against the Saints tonight. The only potentially in-demand player left to re-sign is Lloyd, a free agent. It will also be interesting to see how they play the Paddy McCartin contract situation. He deserves a 3-year deal but that seems to be too risky given his concussion history. Perhaps a 2-year deal?
    Worth checking out Longmire's warm tribute to Florent at the end of last night's presser.

I suspect Lloyd will be let go for salary cap management reasons plus we’ll get a decent pick for him.

Buddy staying in for another year (fingers crossed) will place unexpected pressure on our cap space so I expect Lloyd will be the one to go. He’ll get himself a good deal wherever he goes though, a club like Freo entering the window could be a good destination

Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    I suspect Lloyd will be let go for salary cap management reasons plus we’ll get a decent pick for him.

Buddy staying in for another year (fingers crossed) will place unexpected pressure on our cap space so I expect Lloyd will be the one to go. He’ll get himself a good deal wherever he goes though, a club like Freo entering the window could be a good destination
    I'm not sure another club will offer him a big money, long-term deal to enable a good compensation pick in return for losing him? Our best outcome might be he receives a similar type deal to George Hewitt meaning a second rounder to us.

Keeping Ollie is more important to us going forward than Jake as the latter can be covered and Ollie is now in his prime. Having said that, Lloyd still has some good footy in him as he showed last night, and if he leaves then he will provide value to someone.

Its pleasing to see the young ones are all happy to re-sign. Good days ahead for this group!

Given what we've seen from HHK, I'm withdrawing my support for recruiting Zurhaar. If HHK plays forward, then we've got a full house up front.

I think we could manage without Lloyd, as we have enough numbers to cover him, but after the performance against the Saints, I would hate to lose him. Lloyd and Cunningham will both be 29 next year and should have another 4 good years of footy in them. I hope we can offer enough to keep them.

Regular in the Side
    I don't understand the enthusiasm to get rid of Lloyd - he is nailed on best 22, and we would be very unlikely to get better than a second round pick if traded. So more valuable to us than anyone else.

I think those most likely to go would be McLean/Amartey. Other clubs would see them in the VFL, and think that if Buddy goes round for another year then these guys are gettable.

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    I don't understand the enthusiasm to get rid of Lloyd - he is nailed on best 22, and we would be very unlikely to get better than a second round pick if traded. So more valuable to us than anyone else..
    +1 Llooyydddd is horribly underrated and misunderstood because he’s not our strongest kick (and he takes the kick ins)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    I don't understand the enthusiasm to get rid of Lloyd - he is nailed on best 22, and we would be very unlikely to get better than a second round pick if traded. So more valuable to us than anyone else.

I think those most likely to go would be McLean/Amartey. Other clubs would see them in the VFL, and think that if Buddy goes round for another year then these guys are gettable.
    Lloyd is well entrenched in our best side, would be madness to let him go for what would be a pick in the late 30's. Buddy going around will not be big money and we don't have a cap squeeze with it returning to pre Covid cap level.

Think we'll be modest players this year, use two firsts and a second rounder, delist a couple of fringe players, shuffle the rookie list, Kennedy retires

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think we have anyone in the squad capable of doing what Lloyd is currently doing. He wasn't great against Port (few were) but he has far more good games than poor ones.

People lament that we let the likes of Aliir and Hewett go (and sometimes even Cameron or Newman), so I don't understand why some are so comfortable with the idea of discarding Lloyd while he still has plenty of good footy left in him. If we want to win a premiership anytime soon, we need to hang onto the core of the team. And Lloyd is part of the core.

I don't think salary cap should be an immediate issue after the unwanted shedding of Dawson at the end of last year.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Given what we've seen from HHK, I'm withdrawing my support for recruiting Zurhaar. If HHK plays forward, then we've got a full house up front.
    If the club is looking to raid a Roos list lacking motivation and enthusiasm, I wouldn't mind if they asked the question of Thomas. He played some fantastic footy last season but something's not right with him this year. That raises a few flags - in the sense he may not be the most driven, self-motivated player - but a change of scenery would likely do him good.

He and Blakey were the stand-out stars for the Allies squads in the under-age cohort and they always seem to have a D&M chat at the end of Swans Roos games. So I'm guessing they're good mates. Maybe Nick can have a word in Tarryn's ear and persuade him that Sydney would be a great place to resurrect his career. I think Thomas's size and style of play would well complement our existing young midfield brigade.

Speaking of friends, my ears pricked listening to the post-game interview with Tom McCartin on Fox last night. They showed a photo of two young lads showing support for Paddy McCartin in his early St Kilda career. One was Tom and the other Sam Walsh. Asked about the photo, Tom said that Sam was his best mate.

At some point, someone is going to realise there is an error in the "total" formula on the Carlton salary cap spreadsheet, and they might need to offload a player or two in a hurry.

There are a fair number of Lloyd critics on RWO, although I'm not one of them. The reason for Lloyd discussions in this thread is because he's a UFA and might get an offer he can't refuse and we can't easily match. I for one would hope he stays, but I think we are less dependent on him now than we were a couple of years ago.

I don't see either Amartey or McLean as risks of leaving. Firstly, they are both contracted until 2023, so they are not leaving this year. I doubt Buddy will play in 2024 and Reid would be near the end as well. So opportunities are just over the horizon.

Senior Player
    The numbers bandied around for Buddy are $400-$500k so it should hardly be impacting our salary cap that greatly

Love Liz’s suggestion of Thomas but would be surprised if we could pull it off

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    The numbers bandied around for Buddy are $400-$500k so it should hardly be impacting our salary cap that greatly

Love Liz’s suggestion of Thomas but would be surprised if we could pull it off
    Watched a bit of the Norf game today, they are a serious mess with no obvious fix. So many players, Thomas among them look totally disinterested. You can bet Norf player managers are doing the ring around right now seeing which clubs may be interested in their players.

Carlton have made so many big $ signings and re-signed their own young stars you have to wonder if the salary cap doesn't apply to them!