Page 85 of 198 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,009 to 1,020 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

I can understand Melican wanting to go if he will be given senior games elsewhere but we can't afford to let him go too easily - we don't have a lot of KPD depth. Gould and Melican is pretty much it and it clearly takes years to develop them to AFL standard. I don't hold out much hope for converting one of our other talls into a KPD e.g. McLean or whatever.

I still think that KPP prospects are our greatest list need, although the urgency has abated significantly since we found Paddy. It's now more in the forward half that we need KPFs to pair with Logan for the future. I think Amartey can do the job but we need at least one more young tall developing for a future without Buddy and Reid. I also wouldn't say no to trading in a tall (as opposed to only drafting).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    ... I still think that KPP prospects are our greatest list need, although the urgency has abated significantly since we found Paddy. It's now more in the forward half that we need KPFs to pair with Logan for the future. ....
    I feel we need a utility type in the mould of Reid/LRT/Luff(). Someone who can help forward, back and in the ruck. Probably not the most fashionable position but one we have used successfully over the years.
    This is maybe something Amartey could become to get him more involved in the game? That still leaves Logan needing a partner.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Would like to keep both Melican & Gould for KPD depth but understand they would want opportunities, particularly Melican at this stage of his career. Our stable team this year has unfortunately presented little opportunities but it won't remain that way.

Gould is younger, has potentially more upside and hasn't yet been given senior opportunity to show his wares, despite good ressies form. See him as Dane Rampe type. His time will soon come. I would prefer to re-sign him over Melican, who has been given opportunities but hasn't quite grasped them.

Veterans List
    Gould can go to the Cows or the Power and probably get straight into the senior side. He's been here three years and yet to debut.

A difficult position to be in, do you stay and hope there's an opening for you next season or go home and actually start your senior career.

Fully expect lower clubs will come hard for our fringe players, not just for footy ability but also for the culture they bring from us. Notice Dawson was fast tracked into the Cows leadership group mid season with whispers he's a future captain.

Senior Player
    Same AFL article that mentioned Melican being open to a trade also reveals that the Swans have made an offer to extend Cunningham. Doesn’t say how many years though.

Veterans List
    Happy to let Melican go. He has had plenty of opportunities and hasn't been able to hold down a spot in the seniors. Is way too loose as a defender and loses his man way too often. His forgettable non kick to Heeney in the final last year pretty much sums up his footy smarts.

I've commented a lot in this thread on our KPD situation and projected that Melican could be traded this year as a pre-agent. If that should be the case, we need to do whatever we can to try and keep Gould. BOC doesn't look a chance of becoming an AFL level player and is likely to be delisted.

Depending on who goes out the door, the KPD role will need restocking this year. We might look to get a depth player via trade, and we certainly should be looking to draft a couple of prospects.

We can probably get by in 2023 with Reid as a KPD option, but we need to resolve this now to get the depth we need by 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I've commented a lot in this thread on our KPD situation and projected that Melican could be traded this year as a pre-agent. If that should be the case, we need to do whatever we can to try and keep Gould. BOC doesn't look a chance of becoming an AFL level player and is likely to be delisted.

Depending on who goes out the door, the KPD role will need restocking this year. We might look to get a depth player via trade, and we certainly should be looking to draft a couple of prospects.

We can probably get by in 2023 with Reid as a KPD option, but we need to resolve this now to get the depth we need by 2024.
    There was some talk about Griffin Logue a couple of weeks back. He'd be a good get if we could get the deal done. I agree with keeping Gould and maybe we need to draft the best defender we can as well instead of getting more mids?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    There was some talk about Griffin Logue a couple of weeks back. He'd be a good get if we could get the deal done. I agree with keeping Gould and maybe we need to draft the best defender we can as well instead of getting more mids?
    Tend to agree with the second part of this.

As for Logie, I’m a bit dubious. Mainly because a) Freo will want one of our firsts to help make the Jackson trade happen, b) I think Logue is solid, but not ‘that’ good, c) he’s not been completely durable over the journey, and d) I reckon as we come into the era of giant key forwards coming through, a 200cm defender is what we ultimately want.

That may get resolved via the draft or some other means but Logue strikes me as a nice to have, rather than an essential.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Tend to agree with the second part of this.

As for Logie, I’m a bit dubious. Mainly because a) Freo will want one of our firsts to help make the Jackson trade happen, b) I think Logue is solid, but not ‘that’ good, c) he’s not been completely durable over the journey, and d) I reckon as we come into the era of giant key forwards coming through, a 200cm defender is what we ultimately want.

That may get resolved via the draft or some other means but Logue strikes me as a nice to have, rather than an essential.
    If we trade Melican, then Gould will clearly be next in line. He's getting onto the emergencies every week now, so he knows we want him. We should offer him a very good contract for someone who has never played and AFL game and commit to playing him next year. It's a risk work taking. He is contracted, so it's not that easy for him to move if we make everything right for him to stay.

If it doesn't work, and he's dead set to move on, then I think we should go for Logue. He hasn't lived up to a pick #8, but he's coming along now and can play both ends of the ground. If our KPD stocks are depleted, he would be worth a late 1st rounder to us. At least we know he can play.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If we trade Melican, then Gould will clearly be next in line. He's getting onto the emergencies every week now, so he knows we want him. We should offer him a very good contract for someone who has never played and AFL game and commit to playing him next year. It's a risk work taking. He is contracted, so it's not that easy for him to move if we make everything right for him to stay.

If it doesn't work, and he's dead set to move on, then I think we should go for Logue. He hasn't lived up to a pick #8, but he's coming along now and can play both ends of the ground. If our KPD stocks are depleted, he would be worth a late 1st rounder to us. At least we know he can play.
    I should have been clearer. I’m ok with keeping Gould and trying for a 200cm defender.

As for Logue both ends of the ground, I personally think he’s bog average as a forward. Yes, he’s played a few shut down roles up there ok, but if we’re going for a tall forward, let’s target a good one or a young one to develop.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I should have been clearer. I’m ok with keeping Gould and trying for a 200cm defender.

As for Logue both ends of the ground, I personally think he’s bog average as a forward. Yes, he’s played a few shut down roles up there ok, but if we’re going for a tall forward, let’s target a good one or a young one to develop.
    I think you were clear. I was just following through on the whole scenario. I agree with the part about trying to keep Gould and going for a tall key defender in the draft. Then chasing Logue wouldn't be a priority.

In the case where we lose both Melican and Gould, then trying to recruit Logue as a key defender would become something worth pursuing. I just threw in that Logue has played both ends of the ground, but we look okay at KPF, so Logue would be recruited primarily as a defender. But it would serve to boost our key position stocks which will be depleting anyway with the retirements to Franklin and Reid, whenever it happens.

If we disregard the over 30s, then McDonald, Amartey, McLean, T ad P McCartin, Gould and Logue looks a good group of KPPs for a fair few years to come. And we should be adding a KPP prospect or 2 over the next couple of years to add to the depth.