Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans VFL 2022

GWS do have a very exciting list though........we had 5 or 6 players out injured or rested i believe

When i reviewed their list it is minimum equal in depth if not stronger and their best 22 is better in my opinion

If Bud and Kennedy were in the best days earlier in their career we would negate their best 22
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    GWS do have a very exciting list though........we had 5 or 6 players out injured or rested i believe

When i reviewed their list it is minimum equal in depth if not stronger and their best 22 is better in my opinion

If Bud and Kennedy were in the best days earlier in their career we would negate their best 22
    GWS retain a level of depth on their list that most other teams could only dream of. Whereas Gold Coast fritted away a lot of their early concessions and didn't successfully find a way to offset the go home factor, GWS pretty quickly embraced the fact they would face a significant ongoing list turnover - and so have been happy to let high picks go at times, as long as they get a good bounty back. Combined with some pretty decent overall list management decisions as well, it means they are still in essence living off the legacy of the swathe of original 1st round draft picks - the constant recycling means they are like the multi headed hydra - cut off a few heads and a few more just reappear.

Hence, in particular in midfield they've got fantastic depth built up, and a lot of very very good players playing reserves. Its not at the high level it once was of was it approaching ~25 I think first round draft picks on the list, but it still mightily impressive, and unless they get it wrong in drafting/trading for 2 or 3 successive years, they are likely to be able to maintain a level of depth most clubs could only dream of.

I'm not sure they've always had quite the balance right across the whole list in terms of where they've invested that capital (If they did - they really should have got much closer more often to winning the flag then they have), but they've been pretty good at maintaining that overall capital value year on year in their list, despite substantial ongoing turnover in players.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Credit to the Swans' media team, which cornered Laidler for an interview which covered the weekend's trial game.

Positive report on Sheldrick's game. Ladhams might need to show more.

Pre-season VFL Update with Jeremy Laidler Pre-season VFL Update with Jeremy Laidler.

Not sold on Laidlaw as coach of our VFL team. His summary was very basic and only mentioned a few players. This was his opportunity to give more of an insight into our next level talent as well as the VFL squad boys. Wish we still had Ryce Shaw as he had a real talent of getting the next gen players up. Give us more please of an insight.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant Laidler, my apologies

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Not sold on Laidlaw as coach of our VFL team. His summary was very basic and only mentioned a few players. This was his opportunity to give more of an insight into our next level talent as well as the VFL squad boys. Wish we still had Ryce Shaw as he had a real talent of getting the next gen players up. Give us more please of an insight.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant Laidler, my apologies
    Could not agree more. Laidler has failed to develop the reserves and appears to be retained as just one of the boys to have around. Probably on fairly low dollars as a coach with Horse, Pyke and Cox taking up the lions share of the cap. His insights are just platitudes that really say nothing and do not offend anybody. e.g. The comments on Corey Warner, was he just a spectator on the wing watching everyone else run up and back. Was not happy with the VFL team last year and disappointed so far this year. Would have been nice to have got a score, best players and some basic stats from the game even though it was just a practice hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Could not agree more. Laidler has failed to develop the reserves and appears to be retained as just one of the boys to have around. Probably on fairly low dollars as a coach with Horse, Pyke and Cox taking up the lions share of the cap. His insights are just platitudes that really say nothing and do not offend anybody. e.g. The comments on Corey Warner, was he just a spectator on the wing watching everyone else run up and back. Was not happy with the VFL team last year and disappointed so far this year. Would have been nice to have got a score, best players and some basic stats from the game even though it was just a practice hit out.
    I have my doubts too about Laidler but we have to give him a chance to have a proper full season with the VFL team to see how he goes with player development. The past two VFL seasons have been destroyed by Covid.

I don't think we would have persevered with Laidler this long if he weren't better than we are giving him credit for. Remember over the past two years a lot of coaches have lost their jobs and there is a lot of talent sitting on the pine craving opportunity. If we wanted to replace him there are plenty of others who we could get, even on relatively low $$ e.g. Lloyd Perris would have been an option who we chose to cut loose. Ditto Maxfield. And across the AFL there are countless others, including former senior AFL coaches (although, true, they might not be tempted by a lowly coaching role on lowly $$ - but you get the point).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I have my doubts too about Laidler but we have to give him a chance to have a proper full season with the VFL team to see how he goes with player development. The past two VFL seasons have been destroyed by Covid.
    Fully agree. I would be surprised if any VFL / NEAFL coach would be pleased with the outcomes of the last 2 years

Another thought about Laidler: definitely Covid and the lack of games has impacted on player development. Senior players have been developed more through training, which is done with all the coaches in the main group, rather than through playing VFL. This leads me to think that Laidler's role may also have a heavy focus on the VFL players, and also on VFL match days and planning rather than player development so much, which is what we are trying to judge him on. Really player development is not Laidler's primary role: that is more for all the assistant coaches and also Kirk, who more focuses on player welfare. Of course Laidler plays a role too but I don't think we can hold him primarily responsible - that would be giving him more responsibility and importance than I think he carries.

In any event, the Swans are among the best in the business at player development and we are recognised for this. While we do pretty well with trading and drafting, it's our development of players that really helps us keep up with and surpass the teams who have higher draft picks and more money/lower cost of living etc. Whether it is trade-ins (from JPK to Hickey), with the rookie list (Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham, Papley, McLean, Fox, Sheather etc), or with later draft picks (Parker, Hanners, AJ, Dawson, Warner, McInerney etc) we have done fantastically. I don't give all the credit for this to Laidler (not at all!) - but conversely I don't sheet all the blame home to Laidler for the players that don't develop or fulfil our hopes (Gray, Taylor, Clarke, Brand, Thurlow, Knoll etc).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Round 2-8 has now been released

AFL Fixtures and Results - AFL.com.au

• R2 - Sydney v Gold Coast @ Blacktown Fri Apr 1 7:05PM
    • R3 - Port Melbourne v Sydney @ ETU Stadium Sat Apr 9 1:05PM
    • R4 - Sydney v Northern Bullants @ Blacktown Sun Apr 17 1:05PM
    • R5 - Bye
    • R6 - Sydney v Brisbane @ SCG Sun May 1 1:05PM (curtain raiser)
    • R7 - Werribee v Sydney @ Avalon Airport Oval Sat May 7 1:05PM
    • R8 - bye

IIRC, a while back Sydney was divided into Swans territory and Giants territory. Roughly, the areas east of Homebush was designated Swans and west of Homebush was Giants. So why do we persist in playing games at Blacktown?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    IIRC, a while back Sydney was divided into Swans territory and Giants territory. Roughly, the areas east of Homebush was designated Swans and west of Homebush was Giants. So why do we persist in playing games at Blacktown?
    I think it's because none of the other venues are considered good enough for one reason or another, whether in relation to the surface or in relation to the camera angles available. But I could be wrong and maybe someone who actually knows can enlighten us.

Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast