Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1150

Thread: Swans VFL 2022

I wholeheartedly agree that Rhyce is a far better development coach than Laidler, from my observations too. And what peeves me the most about Laidler is that there is no real heads-up on the reserves team pre or post. As a final nail in the coffin is the supposed writeup for the final game against GC. It reads more about the GC players than a specific write-up for the Swans team. Very disappointing by the Swans and this has been so the the whole season. Very little about the players by Laidler. Have a look at the other VFL team reports , they are more specific and elaborate about the players. Love to bring Rhyce back to the Swans

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree that Rhyce is a far better development coach than Laidler, from my observations too. And what peeves me the most about Laidler is that there is no real heads-up on the reserves team pre or post. As a final nail in the coffin is the supposed writeup for the final game against GC. It reads more about the GC players than a specific write-up for the Swans team. Very disappointing by the Swans and this has been so the the whole season. Very little about the players by Laidler. Have a look at the other VFL team reports , they are more specific and elaborate about the players. Love to bring Rhyce back to the Swans
    Id say thats more to do with the Swans slashing back office during covid and therefore comms staff rather than laidler.

Bit of a sad fizzle to our season in the end - going out in straight sets. Was disappointing to lose to the Suns, although they do have a lot of listed players. We haven't got a great track record at winning finals (especially grannies) in the reserves.

On the other hand, I take some pleasure in three of the four prelim finalists in the VFL being from north of the border.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Bit of a sad fizzle to our season in the end - going out in straight sets. Was disappointing to lose to the Suns, although they do have a lot of listed players. We haven't got a great track record at winning finals (especially grannies) in the reserves.

On the other hand, I take some pleasure in three of the four prelim finalists in the VFL being from north of the border.
    Yes, the VFL is about as well named as the rookie list.

Senior Player

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    That's the kiss of death. Taylor and Gould highly likely to be gone at season's end although I recognise some on here are very keen on retaining the latter. Will he be delisted or ask to be traded? Armetey may also ask to be traded for opportunities elsewhere but is still under contract.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Jack Maibaum also in that team playing for the 3rd bottom team. Will AFL clubs calling for him

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Its interesting to examine the composition of the VFL ladder this season. Most of the Victorian teams who are not affiliated with an AFL club really struggled to win games. They just don't have the money or talent to compete with a rival that has a healthy proportion of players who are full-time professional footballers. I watched the Coburg Lions a few times this season as I live near their ground. This is Fox's old Club. They tried really hard each week and won a few home games against the other non-affiliated teams but otherwise struggled. They are typical of the non-affiliated teams and have maybe two players who would make the Swans Reserves team.

Affiliated clubs like the Casey Demons and Swans who had the riches of the fringe players from a top finishing senior team did well. Gold Coast had an expanded list due to AFL concessions. Southport is the outlier. They are the dominant Club on the Gold Coast and have access to considerable money from their pokies club. They have a number of ex-AFL players on their list and these are well paid.

Overall, I think this competition is better for player development than the old NEAFL as there is a greater number of competitive teams to play against, but its far from perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Jack Maibaum also in that team playing for the 3rd bottom team. Will AFL clubs calling for him
    As Jack plays for Coburg I saw him play a bit this season (see above comments). He played as fullback or centre half back in a team that lost a lot. I would say he was handy but not dominant. Good spoiler and kick. Not a lot of intercept marks which is what they like to see these days. He plays more like Melican and less lke Paddy . I doubt he will get picked up by an AFL team but I hope I am wrong.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Its interesting to examine the composition of the VFL ladder this season. Most of the Victorian teams who are not affiliated with an AFL club really struggled to win games. They just don't have the money or talent to compete with a rival that has a healthy proportion of players who are full-time professional footballers. I watched the Coburg Lions a few times this season as I live near their ground. This is Fox's old Club. They tried really hard each week and won a few home games against the other non-affiliated teams but otherwise struggled. They are typical of the non-affiliated teams and have maybe two players who would make the Swans Reserves team.

Affiliated clubs like the Casey Demons and Swans who had the riches of the fringe players from a top finishing senior team did well. Gold Coast had an expanded list due to AFL concessions. Southport is the outlier. They are the dominant Club on the Gold Coast and have access to considerable money from their pokies club. They have a number of ex-AFL players on their list and these are well paid.

Overall, I think this competition is better for player development than the old NEAFL as there is a greater number of competitive teams to play against, but its far from perfect.
    I have for some time believed that the AFL should have anointed Southport rather than establish the Gold Coast Club. Southport is on the Gold Coast, has a very good oval and already had an established Club. It would have been far cheaper to make the ground into a 40,000 capacity venue with an established supporter base.

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596