Max Geddes
    Adam Gulden
    Harry Maguire
    Harry Morrison
    Aidan Watling​

NEW
    Kye Pfrengle (Academy/St George AFC)​

ALSO of interest to us draft watchers
    FORMER Sawtell/Toormina Saints player Angus Anderson has been offered the chance to play with the Sydney Swans feeder clubs in 2022, after not being selected in this year’s AFL Draft.
    The Swans have made him an offer to play in the club’s NAB League (under 18s) and VFL teams in 2022, as well as training twice a week with the club’s AFL listed players.

(Anderson) "Following the draft I’ve received a couple of offers to move to Melbourne to play NAB League and VFL but chose to remain with the Sydney Swans development program as it’s the best fit for me right now.”

His time with the Swans will be managed by the senior club, rather than the Swans Academy, and rubbing shoulders with the elite players on a daily basis will help build not only his footy skills, but also his leadership capabilities.

Suspended by the MRP
    I stuck by him but believe Bell will be in the VFL a lot . The other one too . One of Amartey and Mclean , or both will be main fwd .I want Campbell to be in the VFL all year , focus on his midfield craft , get him ready for next yr full time midfield . We will see how this Anderson goes , stacked midfield we will have at least , better than last year with spuds like Gray !

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Players listed for this season

RE-SIGNED
    Jake Bartholomaeus
    Nicholas Brewer
    William Collis
    Darcy Cordell
    Max Geddes
    Adam Gulden
    Harry Maguire
    Harry Morrison
    Aidan Watling​

NEW
    Kye Pfrengle (Academy/St George AFC)​

ALSO of interest to us draft watchers
    FORMER Sawtell/Toormina Saints player Angus Anderson has been offered the chance to play with the Sydney Swans feeder clubs in 2022, after not being selected in this year’s AFL Draft.
    The Swans have made him an offer to play in the club’s NAB League (under 18s) and VFL teams in 2022, as well as training twice a week with the club’s AFL listed players.

(Anderson) "Following the draft I’ve received a couple of offers to move to Melbourne to play NAB League and VFL but chose to remain with the Sydney Swans development program as it’s the best fit for me right now.”

His time with the Swans will be managed by the senior club, rather than the Swans Academy, and rubbing shoulders with the elite players on a daily basis will help build not only his footy skills, but also his leadership capabilities.
    Assuming the list from the Swans site is correct, then there's a couple of surprises for me. Chief of them is the retention of Collis. While it's possible that he was playing injured, when I saw him, he looked slow for a small forward and usually butchered the ball. His form supported the theory, that he was only signed because he was a good friend of Papley, and Tom needed a bit more incentive to stay in Sydney.

Some of the others that have been retained, were pretty anonymous last season and others were okay, but didn't really show enough, to make me think that they would improve enough to become a regular at AFL level.

On a more positive note, I'm pleased that Adam Gulden is going again. He showed some good form in patches and is apparently an excellent, highly intelligent leader. Also pleased that Brewer has been retained, as I thought that he put in a few bursts of quality game time, from limited opportunities.

Good that Pfrengle made it as well, after he was injured for most of his final academy season. He has a bit of class about him, both in defence and up forward. It wouldn't surprise me, if he performs well enough to earn an upgraded future contract.

Is that Harry Morrison a Hawthorn ex-player?

Pushing for Selection
    No. Ex NEAFL player from Sydney Uni and had a year at Sturt. Was part of our VFL program last year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I stuck by him but believe Bell will be in the VFL a lot . The other one too . One of Amartey and Mclean , or both will be main fwd .I want Campbell to be in the VFL all year , focus on his midfield craft , get him ready for next yr full time midfield . We will see how this Anderson goes , stacked midfield we will have at least , better than last year with spuds like Gray !
    There are always other options than black or white. I suspect Campbell will play more games at top level than in the twos.

His skill set is already approaching excellent.

Required fine tuning can be sorted at top level, where he will assist in winning games.

Because Dawson was nurtured in the twos does not mean all aspiring champs must follow the same path.

I see Campbell as much further advanced than Dawson at the same stage.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    There are always other options than black or white. I suspect Campbell will play more games at top level than in the twos.

His skill set is already approaching excellent.

Required fine tuning can be sorted at top level, where he will assist in winning games.

Because Dawson was nurtured in the twos does not mean all aspiring champs must follow the same path.

I see Campbell as much further advanced than Dawson at the same stage.
    Agreed Royboy. Campbell is too good to be playing many games at VFL level, not that there’s anything wrong with that for a young player. We just need to find his best position: is it midfield or a flank? I would prefer him on the ball and see what he could do with those lovely kicks.

When looking through the VFL list yesterday, trying to match a couple of unrecognised players from the jersey presentation photos, I noticed that former Giants player, Nick Shipley, is now part of our VFL team. He might be an okay addition at that level, as he did make the NEAFL team of the year in 2019. Though I'm not sure if he's likely to progress higher? And looking for further information on him, I realised that I had seen him in a training gallery photo, a few weeks ago, but I thought that he was an academy product that I didn't recognise, and who had a bit of work to do on his fitness.

Also, I recently checked the SANFL site, to see if any of our academy players have ventured to South Australia. Three have. Sam Thorne and Reed van Huisstede have both signed for North Adelaide. Both played a bit of VFL for us last season and it wouldn't surprise me, if both did well enough to progress to a higher level. While Marco Rossman has signed for Glenelg. I don't know much about him, but I think he was discussed as an outside chance of earning a rookie spot for us?

All of those recent young draftees for us look like spending most of the year developing their games in the Twos. Experience will come from players like Clark, Lewis Taylor and Sinclair who are unlikely to get many senior games. It will probably be the final season at the Swans for those guys. Taylor has been a major disappointment since crossing from Brisbane. Let's hope he at least provides leadership for that young group. Sinclair has given it everything although he was never quite up to being a topline AFL ruckman.

Anyone have news on our VFL hitout this morning at Blacktown?

Heard got towelled up by GWS to tune 40plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Puppy View Post
    Heard got towelled up by GWS to tune 40plus.
    If that's true, very disappointing. On paper, I wouldve thought our VFL team word be tough to beat.

Page 1 of 96 123451151 ... LastLast