Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy Games - 2022.

Swans Academy Games - 2022.

The academy season hopefully starts this Saturday, with a practice game against the Murray Bushrangers in Canberra. I say hopefully, because the game is scheduled to start at 1.30pm, but looking at the Canberra forecast, the thunderstorms are due to start at around 2pm. So, it would be unfortunate, if the first game got washed out, after a couple of seasons of covid interruptions.

Anyway, for those keen to check out the game, this story from the Swans website includes a live coverage link.

QBE Swans Academy: First hit out for opens

I couldn't find a selected team, nor do I have any idea who our most likely prospects are; so if anyone can fill in either blank, please do so.

Veteran Site Admin
    There's some pretty decent skills on show from our boys so far.

Does anyone know where one can find a team list so I can put some names to the numbers?

Regular in the Side
    loving the camera work where it just drifts up to the sky every now and then. that said it is better then the kayo camera work last week. that is a serious comment.

Veteran Site Admin
    It certainly is better than Kayo's. Maybe the cameraman was just trying to give us the atmospheric vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's some pretty decent skills on show from our boys so far.

Does anyone know where one can find a team list so I can put some names to the numbers?
    No, can't find a team list. Which makes it a bit difficult to say who's doing well, when there's no commentary.

Nice to be ahead at the break. Is the 27-8 scoreboard correct? I thought the main difference was our pressure was a bit more intense and our ball movement a touch more instinctive.

We look like we have strength across the board with this team. Our defenders are reading the flight pretty well, there's good intensity and ball movement through the guts and our forwards are lively and scoring. It would be great if some of these lads make can make it onto our list eventually.

Like others have said, a list of players' names would be helpful.

Veteran Site Admin
    Number 3 caught my eye early on for his work rate. He was running the length of the ground over and over again to be around the defensive contest and then deep in the forward pocket. He looks quite small though.

Number 10 has probably been the standout across the first half. He looks mid-sized rather than key position height but he's reeled in a couple of impressive marks. I wonder if that is Gander? - one of the few names I have heard and a player noted for his marking ability.

Numbers 23 and 28 are two big blonde lumps, one mostly playing mid/forward and the other in defence. They've also impressed with some fine marks and spoils.

But it's the evenness of the skill across the team that differentiates this team from past Swans academy teams I've watched. Those past ones have usually relied on outworking, out-tackling and out-harrassing their opponents, sometimes well enough to win, but this team is matching and outplaying the Bushrangers with their skills in the open - picking out targets, hitting them more often than not, and especially the marking right across the team.

I'll add to those players with number 29. Looks like he's playing CHF, made some excellent leads, took marks, scored a couple of goals and hit up another forward with a beautiful pass. Has even got a little bit of swagger after kicking a goal, so he should fit in nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Number 3 caught my eye early on for his work rate. He was running the length of the ground over and over again to be around the defensive contest and then deep in the forward pocket. He looks quite small though.

Number 10 has probably been the standout across the first half. He looks mid-sized rather than key position height but he's reeled in a couple of impressive marks. I wonder if that is Gander? - one of the few names I have heard and a player noted for his marking ability.

Numbers 23 and 28 are two big blonde lumps, one mostly playing mid/forward and the other in defence. They've also impressed with some fine marks and spoils.

But it's the evenness of the skill across the team that differentiates this team from past Swans academy teams I've watched. Those past ones have usually relied on outworking, out-tackling and out-harrassing their opponents, sometimes well enough to win, but this team is matching and outplaying the Bushrangers with their skills in the open - picking out targets, hitting them more often than not, and especially the marking right across the team.
    Yes, I also liked 3 early, but then he made a couple of clangers and I started to go off him, but he came good again later in the second quarter. He seems to cover plenty of ground playing on the flank.

10 has been good and I also liked 8 and 11, when they spent some time in the middle. Both seem to have some sharp skills in tight. And 22 also looked skillful, when the ball hit the ground in the forward line.

I really liked 28 playing as a KPD. Looked assured when the ball came his way. And 23, 25 and 29, all seem to be KPF size, and all look like they can take a grab and kick the ball a long way. And on size, ruckman 30 appears to be over 200cm and does have a few skills in open play. Though I'd like to see a bit more muscle in the ruck contests, before I get too enthused.

Hard to see the Bushrangers making much of a dent in the 54-15 half time lead, as the thunderstorms are just about to hit, and the wet should suit our more intense pressure.
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 5th March 2022 at 03:06 PM.

28 showing that he can also provide some ruck relief. Which is handy.
    Very nice contested mark by 22 in the goal square.

Now I'm sort of hoping that the storm holds off, to see if we can get 100 in front.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'll add to those players with number 29. Looks like he's playing CHF, made some excellent leads, took marks, scored a couple of goals and hit up another forward with a beautiful pass. Has even got a little bit of swagger after kicking a goal, so he should fit in nicely.
    And his ability to hit a set shot from outside 50 is also impressive.

Veteran Site Admin
    As I settled down to watch the 3rd quarter, I remembered that 25 and 29 were two more I had intended to mention. But it's almost too hard to single out individuals because there is so much skill and tenacity and cohesion right across the team.

Since 29 has kicked goals from outside 50 at both ends, I think we can now assume that he's a very good kick.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast