Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1: the other games. Normal service has been resumed.

Round 1: the other games. Normal service has been resumed.

Well, when I say that normal service has been resumed, I don't mean Wednesday night football, which I see as busy work for those at the AFL who consider themselves to be innovators. Or an example of why there needs to be people in a meeting, who are able to say, "No, Gil, I don't think that's a good idea". No, what I mean by normal service, is that after a couple of seasons of covid interruptions, this year looks like we'll once again have full stadiums and no last minute dashes to Queensland or Western Australia. Sure, there'll be the odd game where a team's chance rapidly plummet, when four or five of their best players have to suddenly go into isolation; but I can't really see the disruptions being much more than that.

Anyway, the first match is the Demons v Bulldogs. It should be fun to watch the Demons unfurl the premiership banner in front of the Bulldogs and their fans. Hopefully the Demons will win this one, even if we have a first round draft pick that's tied to them.

The Thursday night game is Tigers v Blues. This should continue the tradition of Carlton fans looking at their strong on paper list, deciding that they're going to be a force this year and having that optimism squelched, by around about three quarter time.

Friday sees the clash of the Saints and Magpies. Personally I can't see either side being premiership contenders. The Magpies, in my view, are definite wooden spoon contenders, while the Saints are a Jack Steele injury away from also being spoon contenders.

The first Saturday game is the Cats v Bombers. Many pundits seem to think that the Cats are likely finalists, while the Bombers are the team that most of them have dropping out of last year's eight. I tend to see it the other way round. I think that the Cats have an aging list, that despite the star power, were never quite good enough at finals time. And since I think that they've peaked, I can easily see them sliding to mid table. Essendon on the other hand, have some very talented youngsters, that should see them at least maintain their position.

The afternoon game is us v the Giants. A win and four goals to Buddy would be nice.

The night game is the Lions hosting the Power. I view both these teams as genuine contenders, so it should be a quality game.

The first Sunday game is Hawks v Kangaroos. This should give an early indication, of just how strongly Hawthorn will be in contention this season (that's in contention for the wooden spoon, definitely not for the premiership).

Next up is the Crows and the Dockers. Hmmm? One of these teams having a good year wouldn't surprise me. One these teams having a terrible year wouldn't surprise me. But I wouldn't have a clue, which team is more likely to go up and which team is more likely to go down.

Speaking of going down, the Eagles are already looking like they may have the season from hell. And that might be confirmed by a loss to the Suns; who despite the loss of King, I actually rate quite highly. There's a whole lot of talent there, if most of them can manage to stay fit: which of course, hasn't happened in their brief history.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So, apart from my usual desire to see the Dogs lose, there’s some tantalising stuff in there.

But I think I’ll settle on the Suns winning, so that West Coast fans realise nice and early what a miserable season they’re up for. And watching Carlton fans think oh no, here we go again, after a loss would be funny.

And I’ve never minded Adelaide and still largely don’t. But for obvious reasons, I hope they get smashed to reinforce to someone what a dumb and duplicitous little rat he is.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

That was a dominant quarter by the Fees and they should have more on the scoreboard. I thought the umps were okay until the last 10 seconds. Such a poor decision which gifted the Dogs a goal after the siren.

That Weightman goes down sooooo softly - ridiculous 10/10 performance there that even a Premier League footballer would be proud of.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So, apart from my usual desire to see the Dogs lose, there’s some tantalising stuff in there.

But I think I’ll settle on the Suns winning, so that West Coast fans realise nice and early what a miserable season they’re up for. And watching Carlton fans think oh no, here we go again, after a loss would be funny.

And I’ve never minded Adelaide and still largely don’t. But for obvious reasons, I hope they get smashed to reinforce to someone what a dumb and duplicitous little rat he is.
    For me, holding the Demons' first round pick trumps any entrenched vendettas. Go Dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    For me, holding the Demons' first round pick trumps any entrenched vendettas. Go Dogs.
    Gosh no - stuff the dogs
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Absolutely spot on title for the thread, deja!

Yes, normal service is resumed. At quarter time, the Poodles have 12 frees to Melbourne's 4 and they received an absolute gift free kick goal seconds before the siren.

C'mon Dees! Smash 'em like you did in the Grand Final!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Absolutely spot on title for the thread, deja!

Yes, normal service is resumed. At quarter time, the Poodles have 12 frees to Melbourne's 4 and they received an absolute gift free kick goal seconds before the siren.

C'mon Dees! Smash 'em like you did in the Grand Final!
    It's been an incredible momentum shift to the Dogs (even if it does make me nauseous to admit it).

Veterans List
    I was going to get on here a little while back and gloat about how well the Dees were smashing the F/Pups then it all went to poo.

That oh so soft gift to Weightman at quarter time has proven to be the turning point the umps were hoping for. Look like thigs haven't changed there....sigh.

So we can assume Melbourne run away with it in the second half? One can only hope so.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    You sicko
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Petracca is a special player.

I am still hoping the Dees give them a thrashing. I loathe the Dogs. Umpires helping Throw Dogs yet again. They still drop the ball when tackled. Thry obviously throw the ball bet never get a free against them. If they want us to respect umpires clean up the umpiring. It is,​a disgrace

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast