Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SYDNEY MEDIA

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I add this as a comment not a judgement.
    When I moved to Sydney from Melbourne in the mid 60s, I thought , as a footy tragic, I'd better at least see what RL looked like live.
    Went out to the SCG one sunny afternoon, sat on grass where O'Reilly stand is now.
    Easts v Wests.
    80 minutes I'll never get back.
    So different to what I was brought up on and appeared slow, dull and lifeless.
    First and last live game.
    But have developed a minor tv interest in the Storm, so not a mindless denier.
    Geez Roy, you really gave the game a go, once in 55 years ! Much faster game now and more points scored. The major bonus with Rugby League is that it transfers very well to TV and what you see is what you get. In AFL there is so much to see at the ground with off the ball stuff. Hence why crowds are always going to be much higher in AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Geez Roy, you really gave the game a go, once in 55 years ! Much faster game now and more points scored. The major bonus with Rugby League is that it transfers very well to TV and what you see is what you get. In AFL there is so much to see at the ground with off the ball stuff. Hence why crowds are always going to be much higher in AFL.
    Well.....that's not the only reason....

I grew up following RL but abandoned it 25-30 years ago. Rather I felt like it abandoned me after my club was merged and the whole SuperLeague thing happened. Anyway, I've moved on and never looked back. I have no interest in league these days - I don't know who the current premiers are and I don't watch State of Origin. And I have no sense of loss, even though I have heard that league is apparently perfect for televisation. Following the Swans is way more rewarding.

For a while I took an interest in rugby, particularly in the Wallabies glory years from about 1998-2004. The rules and rulings were a bit impenetrable but I liked it ok and loved going toe to toe with the All Blacks while we were competitive. Plus the players of that era were pretty admirable, John Eales in particular. I don't remember exactly how or when but I long ago stopped following rugby. I can't remember when I last watched a game but it was probably a World Cup final we lost several years ago. And it had been a long while since I had watched a match before that.

Anyway, what's my point? Just that I agree rugby is going the way of the dodo and doesn't deserve more coverage than AFL in Sydney media - it can only be getting it because of commercial agenda and arrangements behind the scenes to try and prop up rugby. Also I just wanted to pour some cold water on league because I have found so much more satisfaction following footy, and following the Swans. Both the code (although not so much its administration by the AFL) and the club are more worthy of my time and attention.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Well itโ€™s time for us to write to the SMH and ask what has happened to their AFL coverage ?
    Itโ€™s just vanished without trace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Well.....that's not the only reason....
    Oh yes sorry , Rugby League is played in half a dozen other countries and you can represent your country in your sport.

Oh yes sorry , Rugby League is played in half a dozen other countries and you can represent your country in your sport.
    Yeah, not quite what I meant, as you know. By any objective measure, it doesn't come close to matching the spectacle of Australian Rules, either on television or in the flesh. Neither does soccer, American football, or any other code. The global spread of soccer and the rugby codes has more to do with empire than any intrinsic virtues of the games themselves.

I'm happy to live and let live, I'm sure there's a place for all sorts of games, but Australian football stands alone. And one glorious day in a far-off utopian future, the rest of the world will catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Yeah, not quite what I meant, as you know. By any objective measure, it doesn't come close to matching the spectacle of Australian Rules, either on television or in the flesh. Neither does soccer, American football, or any other code. The global spread of soccer and the rugby codes has more to do with empire than any intrinsic virtues of the games themselves.

I'm happy to live and let live, I'm sure there's a place for all sorts of games, but Australian football stands alone. And one glorious day in a far-off utopian future, the rest of the world will catch up.
    I know what you meant Blood just being cheeky ! Winter sport in Australia is the toughest market to crack due to 4 sports ( 5 if you count emerging Netball ) vying for the corporate dollar. Most countries have 2 max. AFL have done a fantastic job of nationalising the code but lack of exposure in Sydney is akin to what is happening in Melbourne with League. I agree that there is room for both codes but to get back to the original point the well heled establishment in both Sydney & Melbourne are still having their influence.

I know what you meant Blood just being cheeky ! Winter sport in Australia is the toughest market to crack due to 4 sports ( 5 if you count emerging Netball ) vying for the corporate dollar. Most countries have 2 max. AFL have done a fantastic job of nationalising the code but lack of exposure in Sydney is akin to what is happening in Melbourne with League. I agree that there is room for both codes but to get back to the original point the well heled establishment in both Sydney & Melbourne are still having their influence.
    The "well heeled" in Sydney do not follow Rugby League - they are all union fans in the main , hence the attempt to keep it mainstream despite its flagging support.

I think its moreso just a matter of numbers , Rugby League is easily the most followed game in wider Sydney at an elite level. Most of my mates could hardly name a swans player outside of Franklin.

If owned/ran a newspaper , Im hardly going to devote a lot of paper space to a sport that probably is the first sport of 20% of people ( at most) in Sydney.

Personally , I think AFL outdoes all the others both as a TV sport and live but especially live. Rugby league is quite disappointing live as whenever ive been , it seems spectators spend much of their energy moaning for penalties rather than cheering for their team.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Rugby league is quite disappointing live as whenever ive been , it seems spectators spend much of their energy moaning for penalties rather than cheering for their team.
    So, rather like an Eagles home game then?

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    So, rather like an Eagles home game then?
    ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Who reads old media these days anyway? Certainly, not many under 30.

I'm hopeful of the 10/paramount+ deal for the next TV rights.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Who reads old media these days anyway? Certainly, not many under 30.

I'm hopeful of the 10/paramount+ deal for the next TV rights.
    What media do you read, Barry?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast