Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs Carlton Blues Friday 7:50PM @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

Rd 10 vs Carlton Blues Friday 7:50PM @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

I'm a bit nervous about this one as it will be my first interstate Swans game in over 20 years of membership.

It's also a massive test with Carlton's strength being the contested ball and this being an area for improvement with us. The Blues are not overly quick but are powerful so maybe this is a week for JPK to go back into the guts to help deal with the big bodies. I'd also be happy to give Ryan Clarke a run with role on Sam Walsh.

I'm going to assume that Rowbottom's appeal gets dismissed as he was still passed the ball when Mills pushed him. You choose to run passed the ball and hit someone in the head accidentally, you should get punished.

In: Campbell, Clarke
    Out: Bell, Rowbottom

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think it was in preseason predictions thread I thought Carlton ‘might’ make the 8, based on good recruiting (Cerra and Hewett), players like Cripps and Curnow getting over injuries, and the coaching refresh. But that I’d believe it when I see it.

Where they’ve surprised is they’ve done better and been quicker in responding to Voss’ unflinching demand at the contest than I expected, and they’ve got more out of players like O’Brien and Fisher and Kennedy than I expected.

I still want to see them do it over a full season, and they’ve got some weakness in the ruck and tall defence, but they’re hard at the contest and have pace across the ground. They’ve been very good and they’ll be a terrific test.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Hey mods

Can we please rename this the Dane Rampe appreciation round?

What’s he’s done since he’s come to the club has been remarkable. He first filled the void left by Alex Johnson (sigh). He played above his weight and height, captained the club and set a peerless example.

In particular, what he did in our down years of 2019 and 2020 when he was battling against the tide surrounded by a weak defence was out of this world. I still remember that one handed mark he took in 2020 - with the hand that was broken!

Goodes, Lockett and Kelly are in a class of their own since we moved to Sydney. He easily sits in the next level surrounded by the likes of Kennedy, Micky O, Jude Bolton, Capper and a select few.

A total champion. Let’s celebrate him.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP
    Great player and person

Will they let JPK try and play on Cripps?

Wonder if it would be worth playing Ollie v Walsh? Does he have the tank? Or crazy thought, Stephens?

I thinks it’s going to be a tough contest but if we can beat them in the contest we should win the game.

And our rucks should dominate.

Out: RB
    In: Stephens / COR

Did anyone else see the Lizard take a fairly serious head knock on Saturday then get up and play on. I wondered if there might be some ill effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Wonder if it would be worth playing Ollie v Walsh? Does he have the tank? Or crazy thought, Stephens?

I thinks it’s going to be a tough contest but if we can beat them in the contest we should win the game.

Did anyone else see the Lizard take a fairly serious head knock on Saturday then get up and play on. I wondered if there might be some ill effects?
    How could we miss it....he's all action defending running putting his lithe body on the line...I think he'll be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

I'm not sure if it was a head knock? If it was, then perhaps Draper should have been suspended? The commentators seemed to think that Blakey was badly winded. Would have liked to have seen a close up replay, to work out what actually happened, but they didn't show one.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm not sure if it was a head knock? If it was, then perhaps Draper should have been suspended? The commentators seemed to think that Blakey was badly winded. Would have liked to have seen a close up replay, to work out what actually happened, but they didn't show one.
    Yes - I was surprised that there was no close up replay to work out what happned, as my first thought was that it looked like a head knock.

Veterans List
    Out Rowbottom, In Campbell

The first of several tests to define our season, the time honoured 8 point games!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocker View Post
    Yes - I was surprised that there was no close up replay to work out what happned, as my first thought was that it looked like a head knock.
    It was a bit strange. You'd assume that it was caught by more than one camera.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Hey mods

Can we please rename this the Dane Rampe appreciation round?

What’s he’s done since he’s come to the club has been remarkable. He first filled the void left by Alex Johnson (sigh). He played above his weight and height, captained the club and set a peerless example.

In particular, what he did in our down years of 2019 and 2020 when he was battling against the tide surrounded by a weak defence was out of this world. I still remember that one handed mark he took in 2020 - with the hand that was broken!

Goodes, Lockett and Kelly are in a class of their own since we moved to Sydney. He easily sits in the next level surrounded by the likes of Kennedy, Micky O, Jude Bolton, Capper and a select few.

A total champion. Let’s celebrate him.

Brilliant suggestion! Thank you. There can't be too much love for Rampe in my book.

Here's a link to that mark: Mark of the Week - Round 12, 2020 - YouTube.

Here's a link to his 2019 highlights: Dane Rampe 2019 Highlights - YouTube.

I'm a huge Rampe fan and I'm sad to observe that this year and last he hasn't been in his best form because the way he plays, especially when he's on form, bring such joy! He's all heart, and competitiveness, craft and teamwork. He cares heaps about his teammates - works hard to bring them into the game, teach them, recognise and celebrate when they do well, and pull them up when they don't (hello Chad ).

He's got that Kirk like determination to make up for his lack of skill, except that in Rampe's case it is lack of size compared to the huge forwards rather than a lack of skill. He engages his opponent mentally the whole time. One way this determination and competitiveness (and craftiness) is manifested is the way he mans the mark when the opponent is kicking for goal. He never just stands there with his hands in the air - he's always doing more than that, although his options have become more tightly limited since the advent of the stand rule. He was always experimenting: wandering away from the mark and appearing disinterested and then returning with a spring as the opponent was walking in; a perfectly timed star jump - long enough before the opponent kicks to distract them but not so early they can ignore it; turning his back etc. etc. I'm quite sure that was what was on his mind when he infamously climbed the post. I certainly don't think he was trying to shake the post to make it harder to kick through without clipping the behind post - he was doing what he always does, trying to throw his opponent mentally.

His desperately competitive mindset is ideal for locking down on an opponent, combined with his speed and endurance. No wonder he is able to compensate for the fact that he isn't as tall as Lever, May, Weitering, Andrews et al.

However, what is sometimes overlooked is how skilful and ambitious he is at counterattacking - he's so composed with the ball and will often risk hanging on to it too long as opponents swarm around him and he's looking for a damaging escape option. He deploys the step and the feint and the candy sale better than most and then aggressively picks out a distant team who is free on the fat side.

Finally, Rampe is also so charismatic: so rascally, passionate, and encouraging. The kind of guy you love having in the trenches with you. It is a combination of his care and style that sets him apart from the many other talented players we've had on our list. I wish I had a Rampe robe and 'tache to help me channel his wit. For a guy who's not the most articulate, he manages to come out with some great lines ('been having coffee with Clarko?' etc.) He's also flawed which makes him relatable Shane Warne kind of way except that he's less bogan and is more willing and able to own his mistakes and learn from them (the post-shaking brain fade, the inappropriate "you talk like a girl" comment etc.). His coming from obscurity - elevated on to the rookie list with us after plying his trade in the Sydney AFL after having failed in the VFL and dealing with the setbacks of being repeatedly ignored at the draft.

Players like Rampe are special and so joy-inspiring. I'm so glad we have some more in the pipeline - I annoint Errol and McInerney as his successors. They both have that brilliance, that competitiveness, that team focus and a bit of charisma. Heeney, Blakey and Chad may be stars, hopefully even leaders too, but they don't have Rampe's care and charisma. Mills, Parker and JPK are brilliant leaders and share that care for the group but they don't have Rampe's rascal and panache. Buddy and Papley come close - but they are forwards and so perhaps have to be a bit more selfish.

Happy 200th Rampe!! Let's make it a W.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I think it was in preseason predictions thread I thought Carlton ‘might’ make the 8, based on good recruiting (Cerra and Hewett), players like Cripps and Curnow getting over injuries, and the coaching refresh. But that I’d believe it when I see it.

Where they’ve surprised is they’ve done better and been quicker in responding to Voss’ unflinching demand at the contest than I expected, and they’ve got more out of players like O’Brien and Fisher and Kennedy than I expected.

I still want to see them do it over a full season, and they’ve got some weakness in the ruck and tall defence, but they’re hard at the contest and have pace across the ground. They’ve been very good and they’ll be a terrific test.
    Are you mad? This is Carlton we're talking about. I hope they return to their hopeless, arrogant silvertail, losing ways as soon as possible and stay there. Long may they languish!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

In: Campbell, Clarke to tag Walsh
    Out: Bell, JR if appeal declined. Otherwise Joey to med sub

We will need to negate their ball movement as much as possible and allow Mills to play his natural game.

Just a bit further on Bell and Wicks: would they hold a spot in any of the top 4 sides?
    They are both young and could improve but I’d rather play our kids as realistically we’ve only beaten Geelong as a good side so far this year.
    We need to improve significantly if we are to challenge and the next 3 games will show exactly where we’re at.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast