Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 10 v Carlton @ Marvel Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    2 rucks is a must for me, neither one can run out a full game, Ladhams only looked bad when he is picking it up off the ground.

Id play Reid as a roaming fwd and spare defender before i play wicks and bell again.

Parker more time fwd

Paps, parker, heeney, will are enough smalls down there, no need to waste a spot on a pair that get carried week in week out
    Spot on

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Had a decent start to the season, I was hoping he could stick it
    Me too - but I think what will ultimately do him in is his basic skills are just not quite good enough at AFL level. When your a fringe player at this level (Brandon Jack is another one in this boat) you have to take your chances when you have them and make use of them - especially as a small forward in front of goal. To do that your skills need to be at a certainl level. Like BJ, just think Bell's going to fall short.

Still a damn good effort to make it to this point from where he started, and would love him to prove me wrong. But sense he is a holding piece in the jigsaw puzzle until someone comes along and scoots right on past.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Game was lost in the middle not by Bell or Wicks
    Your not doing anything in finals with filler players like Bell or Wicks they are not even bottom 6 players they are not AFL standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    I thought the free kick count was justified in the first half, you are going to give them up when you know that the Blues will likely convert any loose ball into a scoring opportunity. Most were legit, and we didn't earn any.

The second half was ridiculous though. The umps had two sets of rules on HTB, 15m kicks, in the back, protected area of the mark.
    One of those umpires really needs to go back to clown school and learn what 15 metres is ha - several 'not 15 metres' were 20m +!!!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by COB View Post
    Sick of umpire whingers. Second half we won the contested possessions by 7 having being -31 at half time and we then win the frees by 1 having being -12 at half time. Easier to win the frees if in first at the ball or getting more inside F50 which won easily at f/t having been down by 14 at half time.
    You did watch the game....and see the non paid frees, the varying interpretations depending on jumper colour, the instant whistle on Blues frees and the reluctant eventual whistle for Swans frees (especially in the first half)?

You don't think the umpires see the free kick count at half time? 'Oops, better be a bit fairer this half'....but by then, the damage is done. Sure we weren't at our best in the first half but it's not 'umpire whinging', it's seeing what is in front of us....and the umpires sucked.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 21st May 2022 at 12:23 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I thought that we missed Rowbottom's defensive efforts around the contests. Although, that area improved in the second half. Campbell made a bit of a difference in the back half, when he came on. Harry Cunningham may have been useful tonight?
    Absolutely. Rowbottom's defensive grit and general hardness is irreplaceable.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Really wish he had of kicked that one he just missed in the 3rd and one of those ones in the 4th. Deserved 5 or 6 goals tonight.

While I'm happy if Buddy plays on next year (on a lot less $ of course), I sort of wouldn't be unhappy if he bows out too. Logan is coming along very well. What I love is his ability to impact a contest from any angle. Still 1 on 1 has some work to do as his body build strength, but he reads the game well, uses the ball well, and is a good kick of the footy in general play. He is going to be an utter beast of a player in the not too distant future.

On a completely unrelated note, devestated for Joey. Can't see how this year won't be his last, and he won't have any chance of reaching 300 like he deserves it seems
    Just announced on Seven that the Swans and Franklin are in talks regarding a contract extension. I'm happy.

Yes. Too true. We did win 2nd half clearances and inside 50 by a significant margin, however. Carlton were choking (once again) but we failed to nail them. Basically, too much damage in Q2. Also forward entries were once again bombing to the top of the square. Boring & predictable.

Veterans List
    True....but if anyone's getting dropped, they will go before any mids.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Absolutely. Rowbottom's defensive grit and general hardness is irreplaceable.
    Never a truer word spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Warner lacked impact in the middle. He was the one we needed to stop those fast exits out of the middle with his power and run. I reckon he and we missed Rowbottom who probably makes players around him look good by taking away easy exits of the opposition.

The other thing was ground ball in our defensive half in the second quarter, after a couple of goals got kicked, the players gravitated towards the ball and lost reference to their direct opponents. And more goals were kicked as a result. Their forward half pressure in the second qtr was terrific Ala like ours against Richmond last year.

Bell had all the reason to do well today. Doug Nicholls round and all. He just runs around and lacks decision making. I would get Stephens in this team atleast he can run exactly as much as bell and probably will have no less performance than him.

We are going to get belted in the next 2 games if we allow such a huge margin to open up in a qtr if a game.
    The work Rowbottom does to break up opposition ball movement, especially at centre bounces, goes unnoticed by many. We really missed him today in the 2nd quarter. Warner gives up on his defensive play too soon. Rowbottom is relentless in his chasing.

The defensive side of midfielding (sic) is something I look for, and is why I've called for dropping Kennedy from the side, despite him being one of the all time great midfielders. I'm so pleased he got his records last week. He's been a champion, and all class.

I haven't read any comments crying out for Bell to play in the midfield. I wonder why?

I would prefer to go with a Hickey or Ladhams + Amartey as our ruck/forward duo. Amartey does more around the ground and as a forward than Ladhams. He's been playing well in the VFL and should be given a run in the seniors so we can compare our options for that role, along with Ladhams and McLean.

We have a few other options who could come into the side, including Clarke, Ronke, Stephens, Roberts and Gould. JMac looks tired and can use a week off. We need to get better, and getting better will involve taking some chances with selection.

And then their young half forwards were dominant: contested marks, presesure at the contest, application. Bell seems keen and committed at times but then kinda has a go and then wanders off. I don't think he is yet ready for the big time.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"