Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 11 v Richmond Friday 7:50 pm SCG Pre Game Thread.

Veterans List

Round 11 v Richmond Friday 7:50 pm SCG Pre Game Thread.

No Lynch and Lambert for the Tigers.....helps our cause a lot.

Early call....Out: Kennedy, Bell, Wicks. COR? (would be a bit unlucky but didn't do much v Blues)

In: Rowbottom, Stephens, Ronke, Fox (good form in reserves)

I'd stick with the two ruck approach for another week.

.....and Dusty can check out his future surroundings.....

Only joking!

NB: We are in seventh by 0.02% ahead of Richmond.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 22nd May 2022 at 11:10 AM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Roberts Stephens Sheather in
    Kennedy Bell O'riordan out

Hope Gus returns soon

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

I'd stick with the two ruck approach for another week.
    Kane Cornes, for what it's worth, says we will never play 2 rucks again this year. He wasn't impressed with the way Ladhams played.

I would like to see Amartey come in for Ladhams. Amartey is not bad in the ruck. He has a big leap, and gives a lot more around the ground, if he can bring to the AFL what he's shown recently in the VFL.

Rowbottom in for JPK is a no brainer.

Ronke for Bell. I think we can do better than Wicks as well. We have plenty to choose from.

Out; Kennedy, Ladhams & Wicks.
    In; Rowbum, Amartey & Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    Out; Kennedy, Ladhams & Wicks.
    In; Rowbum, Amartey & Fox
    We need Cunningham and Rowbottom in this team. Amartey will be a good replacement for pretty poor Peter. Wicks and Bell both in the same team does not work. Insane if it is allowed again.

We need a hard tagger I think against teams like Carlton who are very good in the centre bounces and make the middle of the ground 2v2 contest so it becomes easy to defend. But we don’t have one !

Tom Lynch. We should have it a bit easier in the front half hopefully.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Kane Cornes, for what it's worth, says we will never play 2 rucks again this year. He wasn't impressed with the way Ladhams played.

I would like to see Amartey come in for Ladhams. Amartey is not bad in the ruck. He has a big leap, and gives a lot more around the ground, if he can bring to the AFL what he's shown recently in the VFL.

Rowbottom in for JPK is a no brainer.

Ronke for Bell. I think we can do better than Wicks as well. We have plenty to choose from.
    Instinctively, I agree with Cornes. Although, I didn't watch the game last night, but notice Richmond played Soldo and Nankervis. So that could keep the possibility of two rucks in their mind. It may depend a little on whether Hickey feels he can carry 65-70% of the rucking, rather than the 50% of contests he took on Friday night.

But I agree, I would also like to see Amartey in for Ladhams.

Yes, Rowbottom for JPK and, like stevo, I prefer Fox to O'Riordan as to former offers more in aerial defence and at least as much in counter-attacking threat.

I'm not sure who they'll bring in for Bell. If Wicks stays in the team (and I think he will/should), can they fit in Ronke as well? I wonder whether they are considering seeing how Clarke looks in the AFL again, to add clearance and tackle support. However, he's not a complete like-for-like with Bell, and he's not massively quick.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    However, he's not a complete like-for-like with Bell, and he's not massively quick.
    I think we want an unlike-for-like when it comes to Bell.

I don't think Clarke is the best fit against Richmond.

I think Fox is slightly better than O'Riordan, but I thought O'Riordan played well in the 2nd half on Friday and don't want to play musical chairs. If he plays okay, I would like to keep O'Riordan in the side for a at least a few weeks to see if he can build on consecutive games at the level. The marginal difference of bringing in Fox is not worth it. But Fox could be a replacement for Wicks.

We could go with 3 small forwards, Papley, Hayward and Ronke, plus midfield rotations. Stephens or Roberts could also be considerations for replacing Wicks.

Regular in the Side
    Campbell should play a full game instead of being the med sub again.

Isnt Rowbottom suspension 2 weeks now cause we challenged and lost?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by H2F View Post
    Isnt Rowbottom suspension 2 weeks now cause we challenged and lost?
    No, they ditched that rule. Clubs get a free swing, essentially.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Indeed. I overlooked the need to find a spot for a sub who played. He should be the 'in' for Bell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I think Fox is slightly better than O'Riordan, but I thought O'Riordan played well in the 2nd half on Friday and don't want to play musical chairs. If he plays okay, I would like to keep O'Riordan in the side for a at least a few weeks to see if he can build on consecutive games at the level. The marginal difference of bringing in Fox is not worth it. But Fox could be a replacement for Wicks.
    I understand the point, but don't think it's reason enough to delay getting to our best 22.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    We need Cunningham and Rowbottom in this team. Amartey will be a good replacement for pretty poor Peter. Wicks and Bell both in the same team does not work. Insane if it is allowed again.

We need a hard tagger I think against teams like Carlton who are very good in the centre bounces and make the middle of the ground 2v2 contest so it becomes easy to defend. But we don’t have one !

Tom Lynch. We should have it a bit easier in the front half hopefully.
    Clarke? He has a proven tank and has also done very well at AFL level as a tagger. Plus his reserves form has been good........deserves a chance soon. Couldn't be worse than Bell (different role of course).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Clarke? He has a proven tank and has also done very well at AFL level as a tagger. Plus his reserves form has been good........deserves a chance soon. Couldn't be worse than Bell (different role of course).

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely!
    Clarke should be given a go but we become too midfield heavy and will then try and find places for Florent and Rowbottom to fit somewhere else. I think that is the problem. If he comes in he should come in if he is to replace Parker/Rowbottom.
    The way to play these strong teams is to negate first policy. It doesn’t mind if we give away a few frees as a result of the hard tag. That would help us with the defence as we can help with creating more numbers in defensive half.
    We are a rebounding team rather than a turnover team which is not great but that is our strength and we try and make it happen with numbers in the right part of the ground. And we can really hurt teams with precise kicking.
    Except for the 10 min of last game we were good in the last game and we should be happy about it and if we get confidence out of it and fix a few things we should be there come September. It is litmus test though with next 4 weeks

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast