Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 15 Pre-Match Thread, vs St Kilda

I'm stoked that Clarke has got a run. Hes a decent mid with a known weakness (disposal) that hes deliberately worked hard to curtail. Glad hes got a run to prove himself over stephens or bell again.

Still I'd have rather Fox over Campbell but it is what it is.

Amartey to be first one in after Reid cracks
    Last edited by longmile; 23rd June 2022 at 11:17 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I'm hoping it is actually different to this. That is:

Hickey for Ladhams
    Florent for O'Riordan
    Clarke for Florent
    Campbell for Wicks

One of the turning points last year was when one of our super talented youngsters (Blakey) was deployed in a different role after the bye with great success. I'm hoping that the same can happen this year with Campbell playing forward of the ball.

I'm a big fan of reward for effort. Clarke deserves his chance. I also reckon Fox does for the same reasons so I hope he's our emergency.
    Good call.

And whatever his limitations I hope Clarke is being played to be an extra body around the ball. One of the reasons I haven’t liked Mills going back at times is our immaturity around the ball. After Mills, there is Parker and then largely a bunch of 21yo or less. We have some outstanding young players coming through in there, but the relentless grind of crashing into every single contest at full speed and 110 percent ain’t easy on them. Fractions of effort matter a lot at AFL level.

I know it worked against Melbourne but we were having a night out.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I was thinking we need to bring the three you just mentioned: Fox, Gould and Stephens.

What irks me is that our coaching staff espouse that it's important to have competition for spots and when there is sufficient reason to pull the trigger, they don't.

If we don't get game time into these types ie Stephens and Gould, we'll lose them for nothing because of lack of opportunity. I could be wrong, but it feels like we've lost enough young talent over the last decade and chosen to retain others. We need to look to the future imo.

I've vented and won't bang on about it anymore. I'm probably misguided too. There's lots of things behind the scenes I'm not privy too. I don't have the coaches' experience or insight. But it's frustrating to have a team perform so poorly and our ressies go so well ... And the status quo remains.
    While its not a popular opinion im not huge on Harry and I agree we need games into Stephens, fine line in the first few yrs of playing between cracking it and being a star, and at pick 5, the later should be expected.

Fox is capable but at his age he is damage control for an unhealthy list, so why he is better than a few, im not fussed he is out.

The coaches call that irks me every single time, is guys do well in the Mids in the 2s only to come in as a tagger, or a pocket player.

Clarke can get it, you can teach kicking its a skill, you cant teach being a ball magnet. Its madness if he comes in to tag, he wouldnt have remembered the name of an opposition player at VFL level this year, to expect him to all of a sudden tag is coaching stupidity.

Those wanting Stephens to come in to the senior side probably haven't seen him play in the VFL lately. The fact is that his kicking has been awful. He's not close to pushing for selection. Gould, on the other hand, has played very well, and so has Amartey.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 23rd June 2022 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Those wanting Stephens to come in to the senior side probably haven't seen him play in the VFL lately. The fact is that his kicking has been awful. He's not close to pushing for selection. Gould, on the other hand, had played very well, and so has Amartey.
    Agreed. Stephens disposal has been abysmal. Strongly support Clarke and many others getting a crack over stephens atm. But I also think Campbell is lucky this round

A bit nervous about this one.. lots riding on it and uncertain if the changes have made me feel any better.. we have lost a defender and a small forward and seemingly brought in two outside winger types..

I worry this means Millsy will have to go back and help out in defence?? Is it just me or has this been happening more over the last month or so? I certainly love what Mills can offer us down back.. strength, leadership, organisation behind the ball.. but what about in the midfield? Are we robbing Peter to pay Paul? It sure seems that way.. i can't quite figure out JL's logic. Is it perhaps to concede the midfield battle and prepare for this with Mills ? Is this a sustainable long-term strategy??

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    A bit nervous about this one.. lots riding on it and uncertain if the changes have made me feel any better.. we have lost a defender and a small forward and seemingly brought in two outside winger types..

I worry this means Millsy will have to go back and help out in defence?? Is it just me or has this been happening more over the last month or so? I certainly love what Mills can offer us down back.. strength, leadership, organisation behind the ball.. but what about in the midfield? Are we robbing Peter to pay Paul? It sure seems that way.. i can't quite figure out JL's logic. Is it perhaps to concede the midfield battle and prepare for this with Mills ? Is this a sustainable long-term strategy??
    Not so, Neon. True, we lost a defender in COR. But we didn’t lose a small forward: nothing from nothing is still nothing!

We brought in a player who can get the ball and another player who needs game time. This gives us positional options and I think Mills will only spend time down back if we are under the pump for an extended period, which we all hope will not be the case. We will win this one- I’m happy with this team, though I would have rested Lloyd and given a game to Gould.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I'm stoked that Clarke has got a run. Hes a decent mid with a known weakness (disposal) that hes deliberately worked hard to curtail. Glad hes got a run to prove himself over stephens or bell again.

Still I'd have rather Fox over Campbell but it is what it is.

Amartey to be first one in after Reid cracks
    Agree

From the youtube streaming of the reserves Clarke is a key link player. Gets plenty of the ball and if far from worst in the league..

Time to step up and play the team role. Hope he has a blinder!

Senior Player
    Ryan has literally just turned 25 a week or so back and he has worked his bum off in the NEAFL/VFL etc over the last couple of years to earn another chance.
    He deserves it and who is to say that he won’t be the proverbial late bloomer who takes on the challenge of changing or refining his game and as a result meet the criteria of the coaching staff and becomes a first grade regular .
    I for one wish him all the best and hope we
    play him where he does his best work and let him show us why he should be part of the team.

Regular in the Side
    According to Swans Website -Dylan Stephens and Robbie Fox come into the team to replace Justin McInerney and Harry Cunningham, who will miss the game due to the AFL Health and Safety Protocols.

Lewis Taylor and Will Gould have been named as emergencies.

Prefer to add Amartey

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    According to Swans Website -Dylan Stephens and Robbie Fox come into the team to replace Justin McInerney and Harry Cunningham, who will miss the game due to the AFL Health and Safety Protocols.

Prefer to add Amartey
    Yep

Two changes to team to take on the Saints

I know the forecasts from ressie watchers aren't great, but I hope Stephens makes a good fist of it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Prefer to add Amartey
    I’m ok with these changes- Stephens needs to play even though there are some question marks. Liz foreshadowed that JMac may be out due to the knock he received. Not sure what the issue is with Harry- perhaps he didn’t pass a fitness test today, otherwise why was he selected in the first place? Sure hope Gould will be the sub, even though I hope no one gets injured! Just brings him a little closer to the team and then he can get selected in the very near future. With Amartey, we know he can play and has talent and no doubt opportunities will come for him but Gould hasn’t been given a short run of games and it is hard to follow the selectors thinking when both Ramps and Lloyd are nearing retirement, or in Lloyd’s case he may be traded at year’s end.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast