Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 15 vs St Kilda @ SCG

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    On a brighter note, was the sound level generated by the "game day experience" less on Saturday night than at previous games or was
    I imagining it? Could "people power" actually have had an effect and they turned down the PA from 11 (out of 10) to a measly 7 or 8?
    Watching on tv I didn't notice the music after each goal like previous weeks. The first time I heard it was in the last quarter and I thought it seemed like the volume was lower.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Or Mills for that matter who, as normal, was the fulcrum in midfield around which the rest worked but who is a victim of his own high standards when it comes to adjudging the best.

Gulden's game hasn't attracted the plaudits it deserves. I've watched two full replays now, and it's amazing how many of the blink-and-you'll miss-it-how-did-they-get-the-ball-moving-there? moments involved him.

Campbell was also much better value than his possession count suggests (though I'm not suggesting he was vote worthy).

It's going to be very tricky to pick a team this week (for good reasons).
    I have to admit during the middle quarters I was wondering where Gulden was. Then I saw the stats and was surprised at how many possessions he had. It must have have been those blink and you miss it moments you mentioned.

For Campbell it was the opposite. Like you, I also thought he had more possessions than the stats said.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Well it was disparaging . He isnt a charity case , Longmire wouldnt think of him as one either . Hes a damn good player who worked his butt off , gave us constant run and link up by hands . Had the 4th most touches for us and 8 of them were contested ! More touches than any of those you mentioned . Dont chalk up what was a well deserved bit of recognition for his role in our win to a "confidence boost " Spare me.
    You're getting upset over nothing. Just hypothetically, suppose there were 6 players that your rated roughly equal 7th BOG, thus up for a single coaches' vote: Stephens, Chad, Gulden, Mills, Hickey and Heeney. As a coach,why wouldn't you give the vote to the one who has been struggling in the VFL as a confidence booster? I think it's smart coaching and understanding your players. Remember that Stephens was only selected because JMac went out for H&S protocols, so a confidence booster makes a lot of sense for me. Why not use the vote to help a struggling player feel better about himself? I noted during the game that Stephens looked really stoked to be in the side and was really up for the game. A good coach has to find the right mix of encouragement and criticism to get the best out of players. It's not about doing anyone a favour. My comment was not about Stephens, but rather a compliment to Longmire. For all I know, Ratten gave the vote to Stephens.

Veterans List
    Well it was disparaging . He isnt a charity case , Longmire wouldnt think of him as one either . Hes a damn good player who worked his butt off , gave us constant run and link up by hands . Had the 4th most touches for us and 8 of them were contested ! More touches than any of those you mentioned . Dont chalk up what was a well deserved bit of recognition for his role in our win to a "confidence boost " Spare me.
    So someone offers an opinion that you don't agree with so you start throwing cut lunches from the two bob seats. Why don't you just say, I disagree.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I hadn't linked the whole sequence together in my mind, but I did chuckle when one of the commentators (Carey, I think) suggested that Buddy shouldn't be going for pack marks but, rather, staying down and crumbing and I realised the Swan who had created the contest from which Buddy crumbed the goal was the shortest guy on the team.
    I can't listen to Carey, particularly his patronising Buddy commentary, so I mute most of our Saturday night Channel 7 games.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    So someone offers an opinion that you don't agree with so you start throwing cut lunches from the two bob seats. Why don't you just say, I disagree.
    i was sticking up for one of ours from a comment i thought was nasty . Ludwig explained himself , end of

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I can't listen to Carey, particularly his patronising Buddy commentary, so I mute most of our Saturday night Channel 7 games.
    I turn down the Channel 7 commentary so there's noise but nothing discernible to my deaf ears! I find the commentary almost nauseating. Carey I'd prefer not to hear from anyway, Darcy is a dead set moron, and BT is a clown. Almost nothing comes out of their mouths that is informative or of interest to a switched on follower of the game.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    i was sticking up for one of ours from a comment i thought was nasty.
    Yes, it's upsetting when our own players are subjected to nasty comments. Completely understand your desire to stick up for him.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I turn down the Channel 7 commentary so there's noise but nothing discernible to my deaf ears! I find the commentary almost nauseating. Carey I'd prefer not to hear from anyway, Darcy is a dead set moron, and BT is a clown. Almost nothing comes out of their mouths that is informative or of interest to a switched on follower of the game.
    In another thread, someone posted a video of a game from the 60s or 70s at Glenferrie Oval. That clip proved 3 things.

1. The quality of player skills has improved markedly over the years
    2. The standard of playing surfaces has improved markedly over the years.
    3. Football TV commentary has declined terribly over the years.

Senior Player
    i was sticking up for one of ours from a comment i thought was nasty . Ludwig explained himself , end of
    This is rather bemusing there have been plenty of nasty comments posted on here about you know who by you that you didn’t have any issue voicing.
    Borderline hypocritical in my opinion.
    In regard to the subject in hand Stephen’s did play well and probably deserved the vote but I did like the thinking behind Ludwig’s reasoning.

Goes up to 11
    Coaches votes don't necessarily always correlate with the official list of best players. But can sometimes offer more insight....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The Coaches' votes:

10 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
    7 Oliver Florent (SYD)
    7 Nick Blakey (SYD)
    2 Tom Papley (SYD)
    2 Paddy McCartin (SYD)
    1 Tom McCartin (SYD)
    1 Dylan Stephens (SYD)

I had the same top 3. I'm sure Longmire gave a vote to Stephens as a confidence booster. I doubt he's going to be dropped after this.

Everyone likes JMac and Longmire likes Harry, so both are a good chance to get selected, but it will tough to drop Campbell or Clarke. I can't see Fox being dropped after such a strong game. He's also a better match for Jake Stringer than Harry, if it comes down to that.
    Lloyd's game was one for the ages - a brilliant performance.

And Stephens looked every inch an AFL footballer, not something I was ever convinced I'd say. He tackled hard, he went hard at the ball, went back when he had to, demanded the footy, made great decisions - it was all a delightful surprise. And a reminder for all those who have suggested we just gift him senior games that these attributes need to be earned the hard way. Good on him for showing this resilience, look forward to seeing more of it.