Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Club sponsorship and value conflicts

Suspended by the MRP
    Sorry for swearing all , i am passionate , too much sometimes. We are a great club i will defend it to the hilt

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That's not entirely hypothetical. A Giants AFLW player chose to sit out their Pride game not so long ago because she felt wearing the jumper conflicted with her religious values. I think it was broadly accepted that she was entitled to hold her religious views. I note that she didn't come out with any statements about homosexuality itself, merely that promoting it didn't align with her religion.

Everyone got on with things.
    I imagine Haneen’s situation was a tricky one for the club & AFL, but I think there is a clear difference between beliefs vs behaviours. Her public statement (which is all I’ve seen) emphasised respect and inclusion.

And yes, clubs get on with it all the time despite lots of things. Having Qatar as our sponsor certainly hasn’t impacted the club in any negative way, other than a murmur of discontent among some supporters. But murmur I shall!

Senior Player
    It's a pity we still live in a world where you need to have a Pride game. People should just be cool about how others live their lives,
    and stop minding other people's business.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That's not entirely hypothetical. A Giants AFLW player chose to sit out their Pride game not so long ago because she felt wearing the jumper conflicted with her religious values. I think it was broadly accepted that she was entitled to hold her religious views. I note that she didn't come out with any statements about homosexuality itself, merely that promoting it didn't align with her religion.

Everyone got on with things.
    I thought her actions were disgraceful at the time and gave me yet another reason to hate that filthy mob from across town.

She made a choice not to play, sending a not so subtle message to people like me that she doesn't think we deserve to exist. I've gotten on with things but I won't forget what she did.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I thought her actions were disgraceful at the time and gave me yet another reason to hate that filthy mob from across town.

She made a choice not to play, sending a not so subtle message to people like me that she doesn't think we deserve to exist. I've gotten on with things but I won't forget what she did.
    The reply I'd like to make to that doesn't belong on the footy forum as it is straying far away from football. I might come back later this evening and respond, but will do so on Open Chat.

Clearly it’s time to drop the pride game. Everyone is welcome at the footy and Sydney is a fantastic city at enabling this.

If it was taboo to still be gay and not welcome at the footy then for sure we would need the pride game. But it’s not so time to move on.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Forgive me for being naive, but what's the issue with a cryptocurrency sponsor?
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It's a financial scam.
    No cryptocurrancy is actually backed by anything substantive. But post Bretton Woods, no currancy is. It's all a confidence trick - but one we are pretty much wedded to.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    The club is desperate for sponsorship $$, everyone knows that, especially with two interrupted COVID years. For all those saying they shouldn't have Qatar as a sponsor, where do you expect to get alternative sponsorship money from? Are you putting your hands up to replace the $$?
    Raises an interesting question. Are there no sponsorship monies that you'd refuse Captain? If not where would you draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    And I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to other corporate affiliations of the Swans
    Yep I'd be stunned if there wasn't someone on this board that doesn't regard insurance companies as being beyond the pale.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    To tell you the truth, I didn't think about it until someone brought it up. I simply wasn't paying attention.
    However, you have now. Which does suggest that the contradiction of the Qatar sponsorship may have done more to raise awareness of the plight of the gay community in that country than the Pride round alone could. It's a funny world.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

The whole issue of where you draw the line is not black and white and personal experiences and values come into play.

I’d prefer we weren’t sponsored by Qatar but accept it’s a commercial arrangement.

Personally I’d have a much greater issue with a gambling sponsorship.

And if we ever ever make a cent from poker machines directly I’d have to seriously reconsider my level of support

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Raises an interesting question. Are there no sponsorship monies that you'd refuse Captain? If not where would you draw the line?
    Personally, I don't care less who sponsors us, provided they don't make the club follow their values. It's a slippery slope when you start taking the moral high ground at every opportunity.

Let's look at some of our sponsors:

Nike - sweatshops
    McDonalds - makes money off obesity
    Origin - fracking
    VW - emissions debacle
    realestate.com - Murdoch
    HSBC - Mexico drug money laundering

Do you guys want us to cancel every sponsorship??

Personally, I don't care less who sponsors us, provided they don't make the club follow their values. It's a slippery slope when you start taking the moral high ground at every opportunity.

Nike - sweatshops
    Origin - fracking
    VW - emissions debacle
    realestate.com - Murdoch

No sponsor makes a club follow their values, Captain. They are there to promote themselves. This case is a bit different as we are promoting a value in the Pride game which is in direct contradiction to the practices of a major sponsor. No problem having them as sponsors; as you and others point out no sponsor is squeaky clean. It’s just time we dropped the Pride game, that’s all.

Senior Player
    I must admit that sporting sponsorship’s and the associated branding are wasted on me and as far as I am aware don’t influence any of my buying decisions.
    It’s apparent that some of our associations have the potential to create division and discussion but at the end of the day it’s up to the audience being targeted by that marketing to decide if they want to be influenced by it or not.
    What this discussion has done is potentially create more awareness of just how bad the human rights record of Qatar is.
    Democracy has its faults but it’s much more preferable to the hereditary monarchy model in Qatar.
    Would I prefer they didn’t sponsor our club ? Of course but it is a commercial decision made by our club and so I accept that.
    Does their sponsorship lead me to want to fly with them ? Not at all and every one of us who doesn’t align with their , or for that matter any other sponsors values , can make a personal decision to not spend money with them.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

Nike - sweatshops
    Origin - fracking
    VW - emissions debacle
    realestate.com - Murdoch

Perhaps a touch defensive, my query was not making any value judgement whotsover. But it's made your position absolutely clear. No ambiguity at all.
    Other posters have what you might call a more slippery slope approach, illegality is a stop line for some. Others have different criteria.
    One concern is the danger of the "silent assent" or "tacit agreement." If the club were to remain silent on a topic because of the preferences of a sponsor, that becomes pretty much "cash for no-comment" - I don't believe that's taken place in the Qatar case, has it? Should it ever do so, it's only a short step to "cash for comment".
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast