Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Club sponsorship and value conflicts

Club sponsorship and value conflicts

The Mongrel Punt quite rightly called out the Swans being sponsored by Qatar Airways during Pride Round.

It doesn’t sit well with me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The Mongrel Punt quite rightly called out the Swans being sponsored by Qatar Airways during Pride Round.

Shocking conflict of interest there has to be a better way of getting some money.

Agree. At the very least it’s really dissonant, and certainly sticks in my craw.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Suspended by the MRP

Who cares

They pay us so we can function as a club . How else do you think we get the money to put on things like the pride game ?

And im sure you would never fly on Qatar or emirates for your next flights to europe ?

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I care and I said so to the club in the recent member survey they sent out.
    I care too. And write to express my disgust when the sponsorship was first announced.

Bloods why do you NOT care that our club is funded by a despotic regime?

Suspended by the MRP
    I care too. And write to express my disgust when the sponsorship was first announced.

Bloods why do you NOT care that our club is funded by a despotic regime?
    because its just a sponsorship . It goes so much higher than us . The phones and computers we are typing messages on were made in sweatshops . Clothes your wearing , good chance they were made by kids not getting paid . Banks you become members of , they fund all sorts of nasty crap , they donate to politicians who would make those in Qatar look like kittens .Where does it end ? if Qatar wanna help prop us up and put us in a position to do good , then let them and we will do good . F them

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    because its just a sponsorship . It goes so much higher than us . The phones and computers we are typing messages on were made in sweatshops . Clothes your wearing , good chance they were made by kids not getting paid . Banks you become members of , they fund all sorts of nasty crap , they donate to politicians who would make those in Qatar look like kittens .Where does it end ? if Qatar wanna help prop us up and put us in a position to do good , then let them and we will do good . F them
    This is true, but what is really jarring is that we make a big deal of hosting the Pride game. Taking money from a country that oppresses LGBTQIA+ people and then hosting the Pride game is inconsistent and seems cynical. Do we really support LGBTQIA+ people or not? Sure take Qatar Airways money and it is offensive to some. But to take the money and then say we the Swans care about inclusivity regardless of gender identification seems like it isn't genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I suspect this will end with another agree to disagree moment but I am interested at where you would draw the line. Is all money the same?

The Swans have already said that all money is not the same as they have rejected all advertising and sponsorship from betting agencies.

Veteran Site Admin
    I suspect this will end with another agree to disagree moment but I am interested at where you would draw the line. Is all money the same?

The Swans have already said that all money is not the same as they have rejected all advertising and sponsorship from betting agencies.
    And yet have a "cryptocurrency official partner"...

(And not so long ago had sponsorship for one year from a traditional bookie - before that bookie ditched the Swans and moved on to what they thought was a more lucrative sponsorship opportunity. I'm glad to say I have no recollection of the name of the bookie, so their sponsorship had literally zero effect on me).

Suspended by the MRP

All money is the same if you are talking about taking money from a big international corporation . They are all crook in some way or another , whether its human rights violations, corruption , stuffing with democracy , you name it . Its the way of the world but if you want to start picking and choosing where to draw a moral line then you 've already lost . Just take the money and do good with it . We had gays dancing and carrying on at an event with the Qatar logo all over the joint . Thats a pretty good **** to Qatar if you ask me
    Last edited by liz; 26th June 2022 at 09:18 PM. Reason: please watch your language

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

I’m not having a go at you here.

Personally, I think the Swans should draw a stronger line at an airline owned by a country that actually jails homosexuals, than a betting company. You can choose to bet or not. You shouldn’t be prosecuted and jailed for being whom you are.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I’m not having a go at you here.

Personally, I think the Swans should draw a stronger line at an airline owned by a country that actually jails homosexuals, than a betting company. You can choose to bet or not. You shouldn’t be prosecuted and jailed for being whom you are.
    I’m happy for them to draw the line at both. I hate gambling advertising at any sports even though I have the occasional $5 bet myself mainly because of the cultural normalisation of gambling in the minds of impressionable children.

Anyway, I am sorry if this tangent has gotten away from the post game analysis. It was a terrific win and I think our club overall is a terrific club full of great culture.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast