Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Club sponsorship and value conflicts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    all money is dirty money is not a cop out , its the truth . You want to be sponsored by a global corp then guess what , they are doing something that is harmful in some way whether you know about it publicly or not . They are all full of board members who donate to all kinds of awful causes , they donate to politicians who are against gay rights , climate change , healthcare , you name it . There is no difference between Qatar and the rest , they just dont hide it . Not saying its better , im saying its no different
    This is basically right.

If you want to be involved in professional sport, you will have to compromise your moral standards somewhere along the way. You wouldn't want to scratch he surface too deeply in the corporate world. You're bound to find something that will make you look the hypocrite.

In our world, no corporations, no AFL. I don't like the formula, but I know that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This is basically right.

If you want to be involved in professional sport, you will have to compromise your moral standards somewhere along the way. You wouldn't want to scratch he surface too deeply in the corporate world. You're bound to find something that will make you look the hypocrite.

In our world, no corporations, no AFL. I don't like the formula, but I know that's just the way it is.
    Ludwig, that may be true, however here we’re promoting conflicting values AT THE SAME TIME, by displaying the Qatar advertising in a Pride game.
    Of course, no corporation is perfect, nor are we. But neither can they all be placed in the same bucket- some are worse than others!

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Qatar Airlines policy is based on religious beliefs. Should the Swans (and AFL in general) avoid all muslim association? Should players whose religious beliefs don't align with the inclusivity message be dropped for Pride Round?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Ludwig, that may be true, however here we’re promoting conflicting values AT THE SAME TIME, by displaying the Qatar advertising in a Pride game.
    Of course, no corporation is perfect, nor are we. But neither can they all be placed in the same bucket- some are worse than others!
    The reason I think TB is basically correct in his call is that we are always left with some kind of compromise to make. Fair enough if you believe the Qatar sponsorship is a bit too much of a conflict for you, but others that are less upsetting to you are not bad enough. There's going to be another corporate sponsorship that does things you either aren't aware of or don't care all that much about: Pollution, sweat shops in Bangladesh, corruption, fraud, military activities, etc.

I personally think we should either drop the Qatar sponsorship or drop the Pride game. The conflict is too great. To tell you the truth, I didn't think about it until someone brought it up. I simply wasn't paying attention. And I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to other corporate affiliations of the Swans that I'm also not paying attention to. So where does it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Qatar Airlines policy is based on religious beliefs. Should the Swans (and AFL in general) avoid all muslim association? Should players whose religious beliefs don't align with the inclusivity message be dropped for Pride Round?
    How do you think the Swans would react if one of our players publicly said that homosexuality should be illegal? I think they’d have a pretty strong negative reaction to that. Is the player allowed to think it, yes; but it’s in opposition not only to club values but also broader societal consensus here in Australia. Players are free to choose not to align themselves with clubs/associations that don’t match their values.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    How do you think the Swans would react if one of our players publicly said that homosexuality should be illegal? I think they’d have a pretty strong negative reaction to that. Is the player allowed to think it, yes; but it’s in opposition not only to club values but also broader societal consensus here in Australia. Players are free to choose not to align themselves with clubs/associations that don’t match their values.
    I imagine it would go down like Israel Folau all over again.

We can't afford to drop a major sponsor but we can see having their brand associated with pride round isn't right. It's a shame that the most viable option seems to be not hosting a pride round. That seems even worse to me.

Ha ha , you would be shocked then at what goes on and behavioural reports the club keeps under wraps . Some of our players are no angels when it comes to gays and especially to women and people of colour , drugs ! I know this to be a fact .

45 blokes on our list , theres always going to be some bad eggs . Should we delist all of them ? There wouldnt be a very good team left let me tell you
    Why do you think I said publicly? If that type of behaviour became public then the club would rebuke it (see: Elijah Taylor). The Swans are very publicly choosing to align themselves with a brand that does not share some of our core values, which is confusing and hypocritical.

Senior Player
    The club predictably enough wants to have its cake (the sponsorship money from Qatar Airlines) and to eat it too (be involved in
    the Pride game). No one should be surprised about that. That is what high profile organizations do. The club is not alone.
    The sponsorship thing is a slippery slope when you start looking at these companies.
    Weren't VW involved in that emissions scandal a few years ago? Has every flooded homeowner up north got their payout from
    QBE. I won't even start on about the "official cryptocurrency partner". That one is a total doozy.
    I guess if you think the Qatar Airlines sponsorship and involvement in the Pride game is a bit too much then you should
    contact the club about it. If enough people do I'd say they will listen. I don't think they are totally tone deaf. Hell, they
    appear to have turned down the volume of the "game day experience" tho' that probably won't cost them much money.

Suspended by the MRP
    Why do you think I said publicly? If that type of behaviour became public then the club would rebuke it (see: Elijah Taylor). The Swans are very publicly choosing to align themselves with a brand that does not share some of our core values, which is confusing and hypocritical.
    So it makes a difference whether its public or not ? By keeping these players and stopping them from going public or leaking to the press , they are just as culpable and are saying its acceptable . So our hands arent clean either way . We might as well take the money we can get and put it to good use . Putting on an event for the gays does some good does it not ?

So it makes a difference whether its public or not ? By keeping these players and stopping them from going public or leaking to the press , they are just as culpable and are saying its acceptable . So our hands arent clean either way . We might as well take the money we can get and put it to good use . Putting on an event for the gays does some good does it not ?
    The point of it being public is about the club’s public response (and how it presents its values). I would hope that their private response to instances we don’t hear about would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The reason I think TB is basically correct in his call is that we are always left with some kind of compromise to make. Fair enough if you believe the Qatar sponsorship is a bit too much of a conflict for you, but others that are less upsetting to you are not bad enough. There's going to be another corporate sponsorship that does things you either aren't aware of or don't care all that much about: Pollution, sweat shops in Bangladesh, corruption, fraud, military activities, etc.

I personally think we should either drop the Qatar sponsorship or drop the Pride game. The conflict is too great. To tell you the truth, I didn't think about it until someone brought it up. I simply wasn't paying attention. And I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to other corporate affiliations of the Swans that I'm also not paying attention to. So where does it stop?
    Your 2nd paragraph is what I’ve been saying- drop one or the other next year.

Veteran Site Admin
    That's not entirely hypothetical. A Giants AFLW player chose to sit out their Pride game not so long ago because she felt wearing the jumper conflicted with her religious values. I think it was broadly accepted that she was entitled to hold her religious views. I note that she didn't come out with any statements about homosexuality itself, merely that promoting it didn't align with her religion.

Everyone got on with things.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast