Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forget about Lloyd...

Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
    Leaving Davis and O'keefe to run amok.
    Could it be that Ryan O'Keefe has a running player brother called Amon?

Seriously, if MO is fit play him, we clearly need to more fit runners than last week. Either Saddo or LRT needs to go, they possible need to consider Ablett as well.

We possibly went to tall for sat and had a lack of runners exposed. Need to get our match-ups right.

Big game this one
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

On the Rookie List
    Dont worry about M.Johnston or McViegh playing on Davis. He will cut them up. Last year he kicked 4 goals in under 3 qtrs on them before being rested. They tried every rough up tactic in the book, but Nick came out with flying colours.
    No.1 ticket holder of Nick Davis Fan Club...

I now proclaim Nick Davis is our saviour .

Veterans List
    For some strange reason I seem to have seen most of the Bombers games this year. I see four players as the threats - the rest are easily contained.

Lloyd - his leading is superb. It looks like Heath James is in the near-vertical part of his learning curve while Schaubs is away.

Hird - the problem for every team is that they try to zone defence on Hird and he does all the damage while they are in change over. There has to be one player on him and I can't see anyone to do it other than Kirk. Hird plays everywhere - there was one time over the past two weeks where Hird defended in the goal square and got it out to his defenders, picked up the ball in midfield and got it to his forwards then took the mark in the forward 50 and kicked the goal. There has to be one person on him. When they tire (as they will) I'd suggest Goodes to run with Hird. He may give away some penalties but he has the speed and agility to take Hird out of the game (as Kirk has, in a much more understated way). I admire Adam immensely but containing Hird is more important - he has proved to be a single-handed game winner game after game over the past three weeks. (Think Jonny Wilkinson - only he's done it for years, now.)

Rioli - he ALWAYS finds open space and so gets great run out of defence for the Dons. Seriously, they rarely have to think about where to kick out of defence because Rioli will be running by himself with no opposition near him. I hope Crouch will be the match up but have faith (slightly dented) that Roos will get it right.

McPhee - great leader into attack. Tall and very fast - and accurate into the 50. Again, take him out and you've disconnected one of Essendon's spark plugs.

I think we can beat them but only if our midfield is a bit more accountable than it was on Saturday.

Funny, a week ago we would have been clear favourites to win this but I bet we're not. Overall, the Swans are a more talented team than the Bombers. We just lost to an underrated team and the Dons just beat a crap team (the Pies without Buckley and Tarrant.) If we beat James Hird I think the game is won. When we do, I hope they have the race-protectors up to save us from the ferals!

I think Sheedy may decide to really test out our small backline by playing Lloyd, Hird and Lucus all up front at some time.

The trouble with Crouch and Kirk (more so Crouch) is that Hird will kill them overhead, even if they can run with him all day.

Hird is currently the best player in the comp so there's no shame in playing a number of different opponents on him.

As I said elsewhere, I'd like Goodsey to line-up on him in the midfield for a period to try and make Hird more accountable.

As for Lloyd, my pick would be Craig Bolton as he has more experience than James and rarely gets beaten.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Originally posted by TheHood
    As for Jim, well if he is tagged out of the game, the Dons drop off completely.
    biased, but i don't agree. in the past when Hird has dropped off we obviously aren't as good (noone can replace the impact of a champion player) but the likes of Lucas, Rioli and McPhee and to a lesser extent Solomon have stepped in. against carlton hird was out of the game for a half and McPhee stood up, then Hird was the difference for the second half. the risk is, even if he only has one quarter of damaging football, he can win the game, and in the form he is in at the moment i just can't see anyone stopping him on saturday.
    Time to make EFC a meritocracy, not a mediocracy

I wonder if McPhee might tag Goodes.

Kirk on Hird around the ground, but in the forward line he would get killed overhead, so C-Bolt or Barry there.

Can't see Goodes having the discipline to match up on Hird and I'd rather not stifle one of our creative players.

Rioli is definitely one to tag as he is fantastic at leading Essendon out of defence. I wonder if O'Keefe could do this - did well against Bizzell and C Johnson who did similar roles for their teams.

Lucas is one to watch - he can do anything. Either Barry or C-Bolt on him.

Man-to-man pressure on Essendon across the ground, including in our forward line is the key to beating them I think. They play a dinky short kick, lots of handballs game plan, and this could come unstuck with lots of pressure.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by Go Swannies
    For some strange reason I seem to have seen most of the Bombers games this year. I see four players as the threats - the rest are easily contained.

Lloyd - his leading is superb. It looks like Heath James is in the near-vertical part of his learning curve while Schaubs is away.

Hird - the problem for every team is that they try to zone defence on Hird and he does all the damage while they are in change over. There has to be one player on him and I can't see anyone to do it other than Kirk. Hird plays everywhere - there was one time over the past two weeks where Hird defended in the goal square and got it out to his defenders, picked up the ball in midfield and got it to his forwards then took the mark in the forward 50 and kicked the goal. There has to be one person on him. When they tire (as they will) I'd suggest Goodes to run with Hird. He may give away some penalties but he has the speed and agility to take Hird out of the game (as Kirk has, in a much more understated way). I admire Adam immensely but containing Hird is more important - he has proved to be a single-handed game winner game after game over the past three weeks. (Think Jonny Wilkinson - only he's done it for years, now.)

Rioli - he ALWAYS finds open space and so gets great run out of defence for the Dons. Seriously, they rarely have to think about where to kick out of defence because Rioli will be running by himself with no opposition near him. I hope Crouch will be the match up but have faith (slightly dented) that Roos will get it right.

McPhee - great leader into attack. Tall and very fast - and accurate into the 50. Again, take him out and you've disconnected one of Essendon's spark plugs.

I think we can beat them but only if our midfield is a bit more accountable than it was on Saturday.

Funny, a week ago we would have been clear favourites to win this but I bet we're not. Overall, the Swans are a more talented team than the Bombers. We just lost to an underrated team and the Dons just beat a crap team (the Pies without Buckley and Tarrant.) If we beat James Hird I think the game is won. When we do,
    reasonable effort, i'd rate McPhee as more important than Rioli because he is just so versatile, he's played defence, midfield and forward this year all with good success, a very underated player by opposition. Also, i disagree that your side is more talented, but then we're both biased. the current dons side is the best we've had on the field since 2000. Lloyd is playing well despite less goal output, and is really threatening to kick a bag. also two games in a row at the MCG will help all the forwards with accuracy for this game. The ruck will also have a big impact on the game, with Allan and Hille in great form early

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    I wonder if McPhee might tag Goodes.
    he'd be one possibility, although i think he'll probably play up the ground this week again. Lucas, Bolton and Wellman would all be being considered, and i think Bolton will get the job even though Lucas or McPhee would do it better, we don't have a player who can completley match Goodes, so its best using a decent matchup and directing resources to the midfield and forward.

Rioli is definitely one to tag as he is fantastic at leading Essendon out of defence.
    u might be lucky there, rioli is a chance to miss the game after playing through injury against the pies.

Lucas is one to watch - he can do anything. Either Barry or C-Bolt on him.
    certainly, but it depends if he's used at CHF or to try and negate Goodes. Goodes V Lucas would be a great matchup to see, both athletic big men.

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by hird_god

certainly, but it depends if he's used at CHF or to try and negate Goodes. Goodes V Lucas would be a great matchup to see, both athletic big men.
    Can't see Lucas running with Goodes somehow. Maybe he's fairly athletic for a tall guy but all things are relative. Also, it would be a waste for the Bombers because adding Lucas to Lloyd on the forward line has the potential to cause us problems. We were maybe a tad fortunate last week that the Dees' second tall forward is completely useless.

Bolton most likely to get the job I'd have thought, based on past meetings.

Just about to post the same thing. Also, I'm not sure if Lucas has the stamina to stick with Goodes.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by lizz
    Can't see Lucas running with Goodes somehow. Maybe he's fairly athletic for a tall guy but all things are relative. Also, it would be a waste for the Bombers because adding Lucas to Lloyd on the forward line has the potential to cause us problems. We were maybe a tad fortunate last week that the Dees' second tall forward is completely useless.

Bolton most likely to get the job I'd have thought, based on past meetings.
    i think u'll see lucas play a half at either end based on the last few matches, and Hille will have a cameo up forward when Allan is in the ruck. Bolton is just not strong enough to negate goodes, he's an honest toiler, always gives a contenst but not much more, he won't play the whole game on him as he'll be dominated but you will see him play around a half on him, with Wellman and McPhee perhaps offering some assistance for him when he is on goodes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123