Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forget about Lloyd...

Veteran Site Admin

Forget about Lloyd...

He's not our problem next week.

Who do we have to play on Hird? He has been in sensational form for the last three weeks. Bombers have a few class players but Hird seems to make them grow an extra leg. If we can find someone who can come close to shutting him out we may stand half a chance.

Saddington!!!!

No just kidding

TV is reporting J Johnson to come back.

Options, Kirky, Crouch and Tadhg I would think. I imagine it is better to have players swap if they can manage it, say C Bolton up forward and Kirk in the midfield
    Last edited by Reggi; 25th April 2004 at 05:29 PM.
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

On the Rookie List
    That man will be the difference between the two sides. Lloyd can be contained, but Hird is a freak of nature. Kirk has to wear him like a pair of undies or we will get ripped to shreads. The rest of their team is not too flash. But after watching his form in the last few weeks, dam. Everyone has to stand up and be counted of we will be murdered.

Veteran Site Admin
    I was actually thinking Saddo myself but was too chicken to suggest it. He didn't do so badly on Pavlich the other week, and maybe a role solely intended to negate, and just follow the ball around, may be what he needs. Big risk, I know.

Crouch is about 5cm shorter than Hird. He'd get killed in the air.

Not sure whether Tiger has the necessary defensive nous to match Hird, and in any case I think we struggle when he's not attacking.

Kirky? Maybe but I wonder if he's fast enough or strong enough in body or in the air. Would also rob us of an important ball winner.

Mind you, I could go on through our list like that.

Might be an interesting challenge for McVeigh to be given the role. He'd struggle on physical height but probably can run with him and if nothing else it would be a learning experience.

Maybe Mathews is a more orthodox option.

From a height perspective playing Crouch on Hird is almost like playing Jude on Carey. But Crouch can play a bit taller given his strength.

You're right on Kirk, can't afford to lose his ball winning atm. He'd run Saddo into the ground.

Tough match up, as is Lloyd

Playing young guys is a risk, sometimes they just end up being made fools of and their confidence never recovers
    Last edited by Reggi; 25th April 2004 at 05:44 PM.
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

I was considering this question too. Hird is too good overhead for Kirk.

I'm wondering if C Bolton might be the man. Seems to have reasonable pace and defensive skills and can compete overhead.

I don't think anyone else has the right mix of skills and stamina.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by NMWBloods

I'm wondering if C Bolton might be the man. Seems to have reasonable pace and defensive skills and can compete overhead.
    You may well have hit the nail on the head.

A knock on problem is that this will take Bolton away from the backline, which needs to operate as a unit to be effective. He won't be there to be 'third man up'. Means we will need a huge defensive effort from the likes of Barry to keep someone like Lucas under control while assisting James with Lloyd.

This is one week where we really are going to miss Schaubs.

On the Rookie List
    Heath will be cranky with his efforts on Neiter. Heath is a prouder man than most of us think.

I expect Roosy to give Lloydy to Heath and the rest to fall in line. As for Jim, well if he is tagged out of the game, the Dons drop off completely. I do expect Roosy to put his best on Jim. It could indeed be Kirky and as for ball winning, he will go back to last year, Kirky has to shut Jim down.

Josh Carr for Port would get put on Jim and I expect that it will be Kirky for Sydney.

Willo, Tadhg, Jude and others in the middle have to work their butts off next week to exorcise the demons of this week!

Originally posted by TheHood

Willo, Tadhg, Jude and others in the middle have to work their butts off next week to exorcise the demons of this week!
    Fosdike, B2, Barry, Goodes.........

I think Saddo would be too slow for Hird. He would match him in the air, but once the ball hits the ground it would cease to be a contest.

What about Leo? He is fast enough, tall enough, and also requires Hird to be more accountable to stop his rebound.

If Hird goes into the middle, Kirky should tag him.

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by TheHood
    Heath will be cranky with his efforts on Neiter. Heath is a prouder man than most of us think.

Maybe so, but I don't think he needs to be hanging his head. He wasn't beaten any worse by Neitz than Nicholson was by Hall. Quality forwards are going to score goals when their team is playing well.

Hird plays 2 distinct positions at distinct times during the game. He is either the Bombers no.1 midfielder, or he plays as a forward.

Rotation, as usualy, will be the key. While in the mdifield, Kirk is the man for sure. Go forward, and Kirk takes Johnson or someone else in the midfield, while maybe Barry to get the job on Hird. Good height, speed, overhead skills.
    Visit my eBay store -

10% off for mentioning RWO when you buy. Great Christmas presents!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast