Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 16: the other games. And then there was twelve.

Round 16: the other games. And then there was twelve.

With over two thirds of the season gone, there's still two thirds of the teams in with a chance of making the eight. Which I imagine the AFL would be pleased about? Although, some of those teams I wouldn't really rate as premiership contenders. I mean, at the start of the year, I thought Collingwood were likely to be bottom four, so I'm very surprised that they're actually in the eight. And while I had a higher opinion of the Suns at the start of the year, you'd think that if they made the finals, then it would be celebrations all round, job done and looking forward to next year.

Though of course, it's probably more fun to discuss the sides that are already 'looking forward to next year'. Of the sides that are already gone, it's hard to work out which have been the most disappointing. Personally, it probably hinges on how I viewed them at the start of the year. I actually had Essendon in my top eight, as they made the finals last year with a list that appeared to have plenty of young talent. So, the ineptitude that they've displayed at times has surprised me, and probably driven their fans more than a little crazy. I mean, spirited win over St Kilda, then losing to the hapless West Coast the week after! Strangely, I don't really consider West Coast to be that disappointing, since I rated them as a bottom four side, even before they misplaced most of their players. Similarly, I also considered North to be bottom four, so I'm only a little bit surprised at how bottom four they actually are. I guess my other contender for disappointment of the year is GWS. Won a final last year, still have a huge amount of top end talent, yet they've never looked a serious threat this year. Who knows what went wrong there? Josh Kelly gave an interview the other day, but didn't offer any theories. Although he did claim that they could still take some positives out of the season, but he didn't elaborate on what those positives were. And unless getting rid of Leon Cameron is a positive, I can't think of any either?

Anyway, football. The round gets off to an intriguing start with Brisbane hosting the Western Bulldogs. Despite their recent run of only two wins in five games, Brisbane are strong favourites to further loosen the Bulldogs tenuous grip on the eight. Hopefully, the punters are right on that one.

Speaking of tenuous grips on the eight, St Kilda really need a win over Carlton on Friday night. Not sure if I really like their chances, but I'll be hoping. I mean, if Carlton lose, it's highly likely that we jump over them, if we beat Essendon in the first Saturday game.

The next Saturday game is Adelaide hosting Melbourne. An upset would be handy, but it's a bit hard to imagine: although, not entirely impossible.

Much the same deal for the Geelong v North game. And upset would be handy, but even harder to imagine.

The other Saturday night match between Gold Coast and Collingwood should be much more interesting. Though I'm already feeling a bit sorry for the fans of both clubs. I mean, at the start of the week, there was talk that it was going to be a rare sellout at Metricon. What with Gold Coast being in their best form for years and the penchant of Collingwood fans to take a Sunshine State holiday for the game. However, it now appears that the game will be played right in the middle of a rain bomb, that's predicted to hit Southeast Queensland over the next four or five days. So, that's unfortunate. But it still might be fun to watch two teams desperately slog their way through the rain, wind and mud, from the comfort of your own warm and cozy loungeroom.

The first Sunday game is Richmond host West Coast. See above.

Then there's a clash, that I and I suspect many other people, will have almost no interest in: GWS v Hawthorn.

Then we finish the round, with what could be the match of the round; Fremantle hosting Port. Personally, Port's increasing momentum is starting to worry me, so, perhaps it would be handy if Fremantle stalled the Port charge towards the finals.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Geez it’s refreshing to see the Bulldogs get roasted on the free kick count

I think the positive for GWS is getting rid of Cameron. But by God, they better not appoint McVeigh, he's worse.

Go Brisbane.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Geez it’s refreshing to see the Bulldogs get roasted on the free kick count
    Highly enjoyable, isn't it? Let's hope it continues for the rest of the season. And all other seasons after this one!

Suspended by the MRP
    Anyone just see the fox ad with CHAD in it

I've been going for the Lions but just decided the best result for us is actually a draw. That will damage the Dogs finals chances and the Lions' top 4 chances in one go.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I've been going for the Lions but just decided the best result for us is actually a draw. That will damage the Dogs finals chances and the Lions' top 4 chances in one go.
    Sadly not looking likely.

I've just signed up for Kayo and so am watching with Fox Footy commentary. I think it's an improvement on channel 7.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

My next preference would be a narrow victory for the Lions so that both clubs percentage suffers but right now it's looking like a percentage booster for the Lions.

Free kicks have almost evened up.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Dogs percentage now taking a bit of a battering. Hopefully that trend continues next week.

Veteran Site Admin
    I've just signed up for Kayo and so am watching with Fox Footy commentary. I think it's an improvement on channel 7.
    The commentary is the same during matches. Where C7 covers a game, Fox takes their feed. The pre, post and between breaks coverage is different.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast