Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 16 v Essendon Bombers @ MCG

Rd 16 v Essendon Bombers @ MCG

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    That and the fact we haven’t beaten Essendon at the MCG since 1923.
    …other than last year.

When have we ever done things the easy way? These 5 minute disappearing acts are a huge frustration.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    When have we ever done things the easy way? These 5 minute disappearing acts are a huge frustration.
    Frustrating is right. There were wild flows of momentum throughout the game. There were parts during the 2nd and 4th quarters where Essendon were playing at a very high level, far better than a bottom 3 team. Equally, there were parts of the 1st and 3rd quarters where Essendon did play like a bottom 3 team.

Essentially, the Swans didn't take advantage when they had the momentum and Essendon did.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    What's embarrassing is a team with the chance to push for the top 4 losing to the third worst team in the competition, when they should have been 6 goals up early in the second qr.

This could have been a year when we had a silly chance of sneaking a flag. Instead, my gut tells me from here we'll be lucky to make the 8. But it's OK, we're a young team, we'll have another crack next year, right? BS. That's what they said when they choked in the final last year - beginning to think this isn't the group to take us where we want to be.

Deeply deeply disappointing and perhaps ultimately terrifically damaging result.
    Disagree. Our team has a lot of young developing players. Way too early to write them off. As a matter of interest, if you're right about this group, how do you manage the list going forward?

Collingwood overtaken us now

Quote Originally Posted by H2F View Post
    Collingwood overtaken us now
    As will Richmond tomorrow. A terrible result for us today. If we’re not out of the 8 next week, we will be the week after. Probably a fair indication of where we are at given the up and down nature of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    …other than last year.
    Ooops.

I joked to my son just before the Saints game that the "most Sydney thing" to do would be to belt the Saints and then lose to Essendon. Didn't really expect either, but here we are.

I prefer to look at the positives from today:-

1. I wasn't sitting at the SCG in torrential rain watching this inept performance (20mm of rain between 1:30pm and 4:30pm) (Though of course would have been a different game in those conditions)

Umm...that's about it for positives. Perhaps a (somewhat tenuous) positive is that it wasn't a proverbial "8-point game".

I'd describe the performance as "lazy". Perhaps a bit harsh - maybe last weeks game took a lot out of us? But we didn't apply the pressure that we are capable of, and seemed to give them a lot of space all over the ground. On occasions they seemed to get through/around us with ease. Defence was pretty ordinary.

I thought Parkergate would work to our advantage. We should have known they'd be up-and-about and responded accordingly. But alas...

Anyhoo, we get another go next week...

On the veteran's list
    Looking at Stephens’ detailed stats is interesting. He was the top high speed runner on the ground and was in the top few for all categories of speed and distance. Four tackles was good for him and metres gained was in the top half. Campbell also did a lot of high speed running just not getting much of the ball. Fastest player on the ground was Will Hayward. As usual Rowbottom had a lot of pressure acts.

Suspended by the MRP
    How fantastic is Chad

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    How fantastic is Chad
    Already a star. Your other pets have work to do.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Already a star. Your other pets have work to do.
    They are young but the talent is obviously there . Chad tried and failed to win the game for us yesterday , Jmac did win a game for us this year . Blakey fantastic last week , Gulden best 1st yr player last year ?? Yes they have work to do , all players need to keep working to get better but not sure what more you can expect from them at this stage of their careers ?