Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 teams?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The average winter daytime temperature is only 1 degree colder in Hobart than Melbourne and the rainfall is about the same. But I guess that's enough to make those poor little AFL boys crying their eiyes out until they're back with mummy.

Or maybe they can be traded to the Gold Coast to thaw out before heading back to Melbourne.

Perhaps the Tassie government should try getting the literacy rate above 50% before chasing an AFL franchise.
    Or helping with cost of living, health needs and housing affordability. Blundstone and York Park both draw crowds and would be upgraded if required.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I think your information of Aussie Rules in Tassie is a little out of date. From reports I've read over the last 5 years at least, AFL in Tassie is in big trouble - junior male participation rates have been sliding and a lot of local clubs are amalgamating or folding outright.
    Which is why an academy is needed.
    I'm sure the sucess of the Jackjumpers has made the AFL look a bit silly, which as we know they hate looking.
    Just having an AFL team there would give an enormous boost to junior male participation rates. I have no doubt about that. An academy would be absolute overkill.

Academies perform two major roles. First, development of elite young players in a State where this would otherwise be unlikely to occur. Part of this process includes identification of youngsters who have talent but may otherwise play different sports eg Heeney. Another part is providing an elite training environment for talent to thrive eg Errol.

The second key role of Academies is to produce players who are less likely to opt to leave the State. The go home factor is a real problem for players drafted to developing States. 60% of drafted players typically come from Victoria with 30% from a combination of WA and SA. Just 10% come from a combination of NSW, Qld, Tassie and NT.

While its a challenge for NSW and Qld clubs to keep all of those 90%, the loss of some is hopefully offset by a trickle of Academy talent coming through. While Tassie is an AFL focused State, historically it has produced only a small number of topline players. An Academy should help them produce more which will be critical. I think kids from Victoria, WA and SA will not be keen to stay in Tassie long-term. It will be a real challenge in player retention. An Academy would be important in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Academies perform two major roles. First, development of elite young players in a State where this would otherwise be unlikely to occur. Part of this process includes identification of youngsters who have talent but may otherwise play different sports eg Heeney. Another part is providing an elite training environment for talent to thrive eg Errol.

The second key role of Academies is to produce players who are less likely to opt to leave the State. The go home factor is a real problem for players drafted to developing States. 60% of drafted players typically come from Victoria with 30% from a combination of WA and SA. Just 10% come from a combination of NSW, Qld, Tassie and NT.

While its a challenge for NSW and Qld clubs to keep all of those 90%, the loss of some is hopefully offset by a trickle of Academy talent coming through. While Tassie is an AFL focused State, historically it has produced only a small number of topline players. An Academy should help them produce more which will be critical. I think kids from Victoria, WA and SA will not be keen to stay in Tassie long-term. It will be a real challenge in player retention. An Academy would be important in my view.
    Historically, Tasmania has produced a large number of players of the very highest calibre. It is only in recent decades, for a variety of reasons that would I'm sure be adequately addressed by the advent of a local AFL team, that development of local talent has stalled somewhat. A state that can produce Laurie Nash, Darrell Baldock, Peter Hudson, Ian Stewart, Royce Hart, Rodney Eade, Matthew Richardson, Alistair Lynch, Brent Crosswell, Daryn Cresswell, Paul Williams, John Greening, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Brown, Toby Nankervis and Grant Birchall has no need of special assistance.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Historically, Tasmania has produced a large number of players of the very highest calibre. It is only in recent decades, for a variety of reasons that would I'm sure be adequately addressed by the advent of a local AFL team, that development of local talent has stalled somewhat. A state that can produce Laurie Nash, Darrell Baldock, Peter Hudson, Ian Stewart, Royce Hart, Rodney Eade, Matthew Richardson, Alistair Lynch, Brent Crosswell, Daryn Cresswell, Paul Williams, John Greening, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Brown, Toby Nankervis and Grant Birchall has no need of special assistance.
    Fair list

I think your information of Aussie Rules in Tassie is a little out of date. From reports I've read over the last 5 years at least, AFL in Tassie is in big trouble - junior male participation rates have been sliding and a lot of local clubs are amalgamating or folding outright.
    Which is why an academy is needed.
    I'm sure the sucess of the Jackjumpers has made the AFL look a bit silly, which as we know they hate looking.
    Spot on an academy is definitely needed . Current state of Tasmanian football is a shambles .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    Spot on an academy is definitely needed . Current state of Tasmanian football is a shambles .

There is green shoots though I must admit and the Tassie underage system seems to be structured a lot better now giving young kids from the North West a better chance to make state underage sides .

It’s the ones that don’t get drafted from underage that seem to have to leave the state to get drafted as a more mature age player . Can’t remember the last player to get drafted from the statewide league .

They are addressing the ridiculous money that was being able to be made in the country leagues by bringing in salary caps but until the statewide league has the best players playing in it a lot of work needs to be done . Also there is no longer a north west based statewide side we’re their once was Burnie and Devonport .I think Cowan this year might have played some games with North Launceston. I think of the players that miss out because there parents simply can’t afford the travel costs

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    An academy may be needed in Tasmania because that state has a small population and no current team. It would help a Tasmanian team to become established. If it's not needed it can always be modified or removed later.

I'm not convinced by the argument that an academy isn't needed because Tasmania has produced many top-level footballers over several decades. So have NSW and Queensland before the northern academies were established.

The problem isn't quality but quantity. IMO a Tasmanian academy would need to produce an average of about one additional AFL-standard Tasmanian footballer a year to be worthwhile.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    And Jock McHale was born in Sydney, so what. Like your list, that was then, this is now.
    I'm pro academy for the Tasmanians, because anything that assists the Swans and assists in the AFLification of this state is good news. I can't imagine why anyone on RWO would be anti those goals - but I'd be interested to know.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 20th November 2022 at 07:33 PM.

And Jock McHale was born in Sydney, so what. Like your list, that was then, this is now.
    I'm pro academy for the Tasmanians, because anything that assists the Swans and assists in the AFLification of this state is good news. I can't imagine why anyone on RWO would be anti those goals - but I'd be interested to know.
    I don't see how an academy in Tasmania would assist the Swans, and Australian Rules is already firmly established in the state. And the Jock McHale comment is just silly.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I don't see how an academy in Tasmania would assist the Swans, and Australian Rules is already firmly established in the state. And the Jock McHale comment is just silly.
    The parlours state of the game in Tassie has been pointed out to you twice, and affirmed by others. Yet you're holding onto to this mistaken opinion, that all is well in the apple isle. Why a Tasmanian academy helps the Swans has also been explained.
    So I've been upfront about my agenda, so how about you do likewise and explain what is the downside you see to an academy for Tassie?
    PS And as for the guy mentioning Laurie Nash saying a reference to Jock McHale is silly? Pot, Kettle, Black.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 21st November 2022 at 02:47 AM.

Senior Player
    Stop playing silly parlour games

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast